“Don't waste your money!”

and 1 more site!
Fernie Castle Hotel
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Don't waste your money!”
Reviewed September 21, 2005

Ok so I will start with saying I didn't have to pay for this visit as it was business related put that does not detract from the facts.

This hotel is dirty, cold, and is purely a money spinner for the incumbent laird. The carpets are dirty and very worn, the bathroom was mouldy. The bathroom air vent blocked with dust and the free standing wadrobe in the room nearly fell on top of me when I opened the door, god knows what would have happened if a child had done the same.

The food is boderline average and the service is dreadfully slow and unproffesional.

Please please please if you have any sense go book somewhere decent that won't leave you feeling that all of Scotland is a dump.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
22 Thank peak_46

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed August 18, 2005

Unfortunately did not find this review page before booking at Fernie Castle for a party of European guests. On arrival we were told they were a room short - although we had booked many months in advance. We had to give up one of our twin rooms and two twin-bedded rooms had to accommodate six ladies (we received a reduction of £20.00 each)

Part of the hotel would appear to be in reasonable condition but the other part is certainly in a run down state. We had no complaints regarding the evening dinner, however when some of the guests went for breakfast at
8 a.m. there were no staff present. The first guest to arrive for breakfast eventually received the cooked part at 9.25 a.m.!!! - at least one person to my knowledge gave up waiting. They also obviously had insufficient bacon as everyone at my table had half a rasher with their scrambled eggs.

The hotel was full and only one person in the kitchen.

When we checked out the 'Laird' was nowhere to be seen.

With guests from overseas this hotel does nothing for the tourist trade in Scotland and I certainly would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2005
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Letham hotels

Reviewed July 7, 2005

I had the priviledge of staying in the Castle in July 1991 when I lived in England. Fernie Castle happens to be my Grandmothers ( Arnott) ancestral home. What a thrilll it was to walk where my ancestors had. The rooms were wonderful ( 2 adults/ 2 littel kids). The staff was magnificant and bent over backwards to accommodate the kids. At dinner, they prepared a "special meal" for them, and then accompanied them backtothe room while the wife and I enjoyed a leisurely dinner. At breakfast, the fresh trout was extraordinary. The grounds were immaculate and the facility was well maintained. The staff was couteous and well qualified.

I look forward to the next opportunity to return.

• Stayed July 1999
Reviewed May 12, 2005

me and my husband were stupid enought to book this venue for our wedding and got married there in 2004. stayed in the monarch suite for the night and was not clean, post of the bed was hanging off. members of my family had to stay in rooms which were tiny with a single bed (even though they had booked double rooms), and they were charged silly money for it!! mucked up the buffet order for the evening.
the lake was disgusting,it had rubbish floating in it - empty coke cans etc. on the morning of my wedding they actually had someone go out and cut the grass - white dress and green grass stains - not good!!
basically they mucked so much up!!
do not stay at this hotel you will regret it!!
maybe they should have spent money doing up the hotel properly before building the treehouse!!

• Stayed July 2004, traveled on business
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 24, 2005

I've just had the pleasure of reading all the reviews. It's SO blatently obvious that "The Laird" has written more than one!

I stayed here for a weekend in Aug 2004 for my brothers wedding. The place is filthy, plain and simple. The owner is a pompus and ignorant man who looks down his nose at everyone. His staff at least try very hard, but they are fighting a losing battle in my opinion, but I wouldn't fault them at all.

The people who attended the wedding thought it was ok. That's because the actual reception area/bar/hall are pretty clean and presentable. It's when you get away from the central part into the rooms you see the filth. Stained carpets.....mould on the walls......taps that are not secure.....no hot water.....curtain rails hanging down and so on. And even with the discounted rate, it's overpriced. The gardens are not remotely impressive. If it was my wedding, I'd have been annoyed that the lawn needed cut!

The wedding was enjoyable, but that was down to the staff on the day and the guests. Everyone of us who stayed did not rate this place as a hotel. I actually found breakfast ok, but my cousin got mouldy bread. And that reminds me, I nearly tripped over the frayed carpet on my way into the dining room.

The bride had to come and ask me to move all her bags from the room she shared with her bridemaid to the honeymoon suite on the day of the wedding, as "The Laird" couldn't drag himself away from the reception area.

The only plus I can think of is that the bar staff and the manager tried really hard to please everyone. I had a meal the night before the wedding which was very good.

I am a local lad, and would love to say this is a great place to stay. However, Scotland has many more similar places that will charge you similar money, the difference is you will get what you pay for in them. I have a friend who is a painter and decorator, he confirmed to me that "The Laird" does things on the cheap.

And one final point to end my comments. What is the price of the treehouse suite all about??? It wasn't completed when we were there, but over £400 per NIGHT??? As "The Laird" points out, this is rural Scotland.......I've stayed at some of the countries most up market hotels for a weekend for this kind of money. A rip off, plain and simple.

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 13, 2005

We stayed 2 nights here for our niece's wedding. I had already seen previous comments about the place, some good but mostly bad ones. On arrival at this beautiful old castle our first impressions were not good. Our room was not of the standard we expected considering the prices being charged to stay. It had not been cleaned properly i.e. dusty, carpet littered with cotton threads, plastic ticket holders, so had obviously not been vaccumed. The window sash ledge was covered in dead flies! I immediately complained to the receptionist who said she would inform the manager. Nothing happened. We then asked when the room was going to be cleaned and were told it would be done while we had our evening meal.
We came back to our room after dinner and found it had been dusted and
vaccumed so a token cleaning job had been done. I did discover why Fernie Castle's cleanliness is not up to scratch - they only employ one person to clean the whole of the building as well as take care of her other duties!! So, to sum up our stay. Food was very good and the wedding reception went without a hitch and averyone had a thoroughly enjoyable day. This place is crying out for someone to organise the day to day running of the hotel and whoever that may be needs immediately to employ a small army of cleaners and give the one cleaner (poor girl) a break!!!

• Stayed March 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 13, 2005

We also visited as a possible wedding venue - most disappointing. How could one fit 140 guests comfortably into the Reception Room for the Wedding Breakfast is beyond us, and we would hate to try and imagine more than a few of our guests dancing on the postage stamp(albeit round) dance floor. "Selling" this as being able to accomodate 140 is greed - it would be more like sardines in a tin. Cleanliness was not up to standard, toilets smelled, as did some of the rooms when you went in. There was an air of shabbiness, wallpaper needing replaced, paint peeling etc.
This could be a beautiful venue, it is a magnificent location, and has the potential to be excellent. The tree-house is to be commended, and is an obvious selling point BUT it would seem that has been done to the detriment of the fabric and fittings in the actual hotel. Most definately NOT worth the current charges !!!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letham
Rufflets Hotel
Craigsanquhar House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Craigsanquhar
Lands of Loyal Hotel
Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel

Been to Fernie Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!