“Avoid this place!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fernie Castle Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Fernie Castle Hotel
“Avoid this place!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2005

We also visited as a possible wedding venue - most disappointing. How could one fit 140 guests comfortably into the Reception Room for the Wedding Breakfast is beyond us, and we would hate to try and imagine more than a few of our guests dancing on the postage stamp(albeit round) dance floor. "Selling" this as being able to accomodate 140 is greed - it would be more like sardines in a tin. Cleanliness was not up to standard, toilets smelled, as did some of the rooms when you went in. There was an air of shabbiness, wallpaper needing replaced, paint peeling etc.
This could be a beautiful venue, it is a magnificent location, and has the potential to be excellent. The tree-house is to be commended, and is an obvious selling point BUT it would seem that has been done to the detriment of the fabric and fittings in the actual hotel. Most definately NOT worth the current charges !!!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2005

We visited Fernie Castle as a possible venue for our wedding. While the outside of the castle and the grounds look beautiful, even in the winter, the inside left a lot to be desired. Despite the fact the hotel was full with wedding guests from the night before there was only one member of staff on the front desk who also had the responsibilty of showing us the castle and cleaning the reception and bar. Having looked around many of the various public and function rooms I can safely say the place is filthy - the windows, window ledges, carpets, floors and espcially the toilets, which were reminscent of public loos. In addition the castle also needs lots of redecorating and to be ridded of all the junk piled up at the end of corridors and behind doors. Fernie castle could be beautiful but it most certainly is not at the moment.

9 Thank Sarah056

Travelers are raving about these Letham hotels

Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2005

Having been at a wedding at Fernie this weekend, I found it difficult to rate so plumped for "average". the problem is, the place seems to be run primarily as a wedding venue and the hotel suffers as a result. The setting is spectacular and the hotel is unique and a little eccentric. This adds to the charm and is a refreshing change from most other clean but lifeless modern hotels. The food itself was outstanding. However, the place lets itself down HUGELY in other areas. I and many other of the guest were VERY disappointed with the cleanliness and decor of SOME of the rooms. Poor facilities, missing kettles, no cutlery, no cots as requested, EXTREMELY cold rooms, were just some problems and a few demanded discounts. I was worried after reading some of the comments prior to my visit and sadly some of them were proved right.

The disappointing thing is with just a little more attention to detail, this could be one of the most unique places to stay, which would justify the inflated prices. I sincerely hope that the management take these things into consideration and I may visit again.

• Stayed January 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Roughy
Edinburgh
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2004

Thankfully ive only lost my depoist for my wedding-since reading the comments on this web site and visiting a few times weve booked elsewhere.Could of been alot worse if i did get married there.On the few occasions we went to look at the Castle-summer time,there was no flowers or plants around the lawn,dead plants in the pots,weeds growning up the Castle walls,green mouldy loch.Inside not much better-smelly and lack off cleaning was evident.Dinner was ok-vegetables were reheat from the night before.Money definitely has been spent on marketing the new tree house the owners have built this year so now it time to employ a cleaner and gardener.

6 Thank Tony1
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2004

Having stayed at this hotel on 26.11.04 I entirely agree with the negative comments I've since read on this site. This was the dirtiest hotel I've stayed in, with hairs and toenail clippings in the bathrooms, and some very tacky interior decorating. The manager tried to be helpful, moving me to a double bedroom at midnight as my previous room was the size of a cupboard and the standard expected of a basic hostel. My second room was up in a turret and could have been lovely but was tackily decorated and seemed 'done on the cheap'. The meal was expected at 8pm and served at nearly 10pm (food not bad at all) and the red wine was chilled. It's a shame as the building and surrounds are lovely.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, 0wner at Fernie Castle Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2005
6th of january 2005

I am sitting here wondering how I can reply to all these complaints. I have accommodated over 6,000 clients served meals to over 10,000 people in 2004 I have files full of compliments. The staff have received many gifts from pleased guests so why these complaints ? or more inportantly why pay your hard earned money to somewhere thats so bad ? I wonder !!

I have been in this industry long enough to know and admit that not everyday will everything go with out a hitch but some of the complaints listed are just not true.

I will not bore you with a long list of replies to each point what I will say is that the castle is open to anyone who wishes to visit and inspect the facilities
and so far in 2005 we have shown around some 30 potenital guest for weddings of which 12 have booked (pretty good by any hotel's standard)

I have never planted or solicited compliments to this web site, however I will now request my guests to log there comments be they good or bad and I am sure they will prove my point

The Laird

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2004

Had the great misfortune to stay in this depressing hotel last month,but at least have had a good laugh at some of the reviews here.The problem with this hotel is straightforward,and has already been well put with your user from London;if it was a B and B or a £30 a night experience i am sure that people would forgive most of its {very many} faults.The problem is at the rates being charged,while not exactly Gleneagles ,we are comparible to top notch country house hotels like Inverlochy Castle etc.Therefore this is what people expect and to arrive at a third rate ,dirty , run down excuse for a hotel like Fernie is always a huge dissapointment.
I think this accounts for such a high number of reviews for a relatively small hotel.As for the good reviews,again i agree with my fellow reviewers that one can only assume they have been planted by the management.I cannot prove this of course and it takes all sorts to make a world but i find it simply incredable that anyone could really think this was a top notch hotel.The setting does not begin to make up for the manifest failure of the management to tackle the innumerable failings of this overpriced tourist trap.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2004

Having read some of the reviews regarding Fernie Castle I was sceptical as to what to expect during my stay at a wedding I was attending this September. However on arrival those doubts vanished completley.
A genuine cheery smile awaited us on our arrival with an offer to carry our luggage and a tour of the castle once we had settled in.The room we were given had views over the front lawns and surrounding countryside.....and it was clean and tidy. Having arrived the previous day we thought we'd sample dinner in the restaurant the food on offer was varied and imaginative and above all delicious and served by enthusiastic and helpful staff. Taking a stroll after our meal the treelights were put on for us to top off a wonderful night in this fairytale castle.
The following day of the wedding was also greeted with enthusiasm by many of my friends, orchestrated to perfection with not a hitch.Food was plentiful not the usual miniscule portions I have received in many larger establishments and again served by smiling and helpful staff.
We will be back to visit as will many of our friends in the future

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letham
Balbirnie House
Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel
Balmule House
Balmule House
#3 of 12 in Dunfermline

Been to Fernie Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!