“Highly Recommended a lifetime memory”

Fernie Castle Hotel
Lybster, United Kingdom
“Highly Recommended a lifetime memory”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

As a surprise for my husbands "big" birthday I had booked a night at Fernie Castle and on the day of his birthday in the Treehouse. What a fantastic experience we had in both venues! The Library suite in the castle was imense with it's four poster bed and sumptuous 3 piece suit along with the spacious en-suite with walk through dressing room and hall it certainly provided value for money as well as making us feel very special. The keep bar is a must especially for atmosphere and history and the dining experience was also great. Then there was the Treehouse, what can I say? what a magical experience and one which we will never forget. The attention to detail throughout our stay was second to none with the Laird, Neil colluding with my surprise for my husband even arranging to transfer us to the treehouse whilst we were out and adding balloons and a cake! The whole experience was fantastic and I would highly recommend Fernie Castle and Treehouse not forgetting Hamish and Heather the two beautiful friendly carrot eating Highland Cattle in the grounds!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Angela E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Mauchline
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed in the castles tree house for my husband’s 40th. Check out the pictures on their website, the place is absolutely amazing, a true magical tree house and an amazing experience. It is not cheap (£495.00 a night which includes a 4 course meal at the castle) I opted for a deal without food but was still quite pricey (£350.00). This being said on arrival in the tree house we were greeted by a huge basket of goodies for us along with beer, champagne etc in the fridge. Cheese, biscuits, croissants. They even left a cake and balloons for my hubby. Another special wee touch was that they had set up a camp bed for my 4 year old son and had left him an Easter egg and toy on his bed, we really liked that. All in all it was expensive but the place is amazing, lots of thoughtful touches and for a special occasion such as this I didn’t mind. Would say best suited to couples (as really is only for 2 people). I have never stayed somewhere so unusual and special. This is a MUST. The Laird is fanstastic to deal with too.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I recently attended a family wedding at this hotel and I was seriously disappointed by the attitude of the staff ( with the exception of the waitresses), the quality of the food and the prices charged by the management. The wedding was attended by a large number of overseas visitors - many of whom had never been to Scotland before - and I hope that the joy of the happy couple will be their enduring memory.

The Friday night get together and know you dinner - was a fixed price three course meal priced at £32.50 - my meal consisted of a starter of two deep fried haggis balls in filo pastry - served dry with no garnish. the main course was half a very anaemic chicken breast with two sad unsalted boiled potatoes with some rather cold overcooked vegetables in a cream concoction with a few black pepper grinds on top. The piece de resistance was chocolate pot with fruit coulis which was basically chocolate angel delight with some defrosted frozen summer fruit. The price of this meal was in my opinion day light robbery under the cover of darkness. The food was of a quality that I would have been embarrassed to have given to any guest at my table. I would have been disappointed to receive this at a bus tour holiday hotel let alone a country castle type hotel which tries present its self as offering a unique experience to it customers.

The bar prices ie £4-00 for a pint of Tenants and £4.20 for a bottle of Magners was totally out of line for a bar outside the high street of a major city and though the expression of the jailer in the dungeon bar should have been ample warning - though I did enjoy it when one customer asked for six pints and a smile ( which was not served). I will not go on at length about the wedding itself - but again the food was a real disappointment - though the effort's of the excellent band/ and the minister ensured that at the end of the day a good time was had by all.

I did not stay at the hotel myself but choose to rent a cottage nearby for my family - but I was dismayed the next day, to get a phone call from a very distressed niece. As a result can i suggest if you do choose to stay here, that to avoid any heart failure on check out, that you establish whether you have been offered a rate per room or a rate per person before arrival. Maybe something was lost in translation on this occasion - but better safe than sorry.

I hope that future visitors will be greeted with a smile, will get good quality dinners and feel they get good value for money. This is a super location and it will do well if they can offer a quality product that truly reflects the building

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
10 Thank Haggis125

Travelers are raving about these Letham hotels

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We recently got married at Fernie Castle and wholeheartedly recommend it as a stunning venue. As soon as we saw the pictures on the website when we were researching venues we knew we had found something special. We weren't disappointed when we visited- the Keep Bar is stunning and one of our favourite rooms. All the rooms have their own special highlights, and the grounds, with it's own lochan are simply stunning. The Laird helped us all the way through from initial booking to our wedding day-putting us at ease and being extremely helpful with all of our queries. We are so pleased with our special day, made all the more perfect by the setting of Fernie Castle-thank you so much!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Prestwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Lovely food this afternoon at Fernie Castle Hotel. Soup, Finger sandwiches Scones (to die for) and a lovely selection of very light cakes and macaroons and great service. Highly recommended give it a try.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
morv21
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the treehouse for a Christmas treatand we loved everything about the place.
A nice welcome at the castle reception before heading to the tree house. Arriving at the treehouse in the dark was lovely, staff had put lights on for us and it was really cosy.
We got a huge basket of goodies: cheese & biscuits, chocolates, fresh baking, chocolate biscuits, crisps, beers, a variety of soft drinks and champagne.
A delicious 4 course meal was served in the castle and the service was attentive but not over powering. Breakfast also in the castle was tasty.
All in all we had a perfect romantic night away and would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank morv21
Kinross, Scotland
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My friend and had a lovely afternoon tea at the castle. Food was excellent and staff all very nice. We had a lovely relaxed afternoon, would highly recommend. Castle grounds are beautiful and well kept.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letham
Fairmont St Andrews
Lomond Hills Hotel
Lomond Hills Hotel
#1 of 1 in Freuchie
Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel

Been to Fernie Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!