“Oh dearie me”

Fernie Castle Hotel
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Well, it was the fiancées birthday so I decided to book a real treat. A luxury stay in a five star castle, but even better than that, I managed to get a night in the treehouse. Actually, after reading a few other reviews I might of got the better option, but please continue reading.

Good points.......the treehouse was standing

Bad points.................
The food was absolutely awful including the black pudding served for breakfast completely encased and cooked in the plastic wrapper.
The beautiful faerie lights around the treehouse were beautiful maybe five years ago. They did not work, were rusted, with smashed bulbs hanging out.
The television did not work as a television.
The bath tub, which was lovely, unfortunately could not decide whether it was a shower or a bath tub. You could not change between the tap setting or shower setting without getting a scolded leg.
The promised luxury goods upon arrival were limited. We got cheese and biscuits and an assortment of packets of crisps. We also got one bottle of Budweiser and one bottle of non alcoholic beer. The champagne was there for us in the fridge, along with the cheap carton of orange juice.
The pathway up to the treehouse was muddy, which ended up in the house.
The balconies were very dirty and you could not sit out on them.
The toilet seat was broken.
The general state and cleanliness of the room was below average.
Forgot to say the bath leaked out the back, but considering this was a bath in the middle of the room, not ideal.
The treehouse is situated by the main road. Not ideal for a advertised peaceful location.
We were not even asked if we enjoyed our visit upon leaving, and please note I had not complained at this point.

Why am I warning fellow travellers.......this hotel cost me 480 pounds for one night. Absolutely not worth it in any way, shape or form. I have also emailed the owners concerning the above, and not asked for a refund as I felt I fell for the advertising push. I will however now be speaking to trading standards concerning the advertising of this hotel. I am also very surprised I have not received an email back from the owners concerning my complaint, especially the fact that break fast was cooked in its plastic wrapping.......also revealing a very cheap black pudding manufacturer more akin to being eaten in a transport cafe as opposed to a 5 star advertised castle.

I do not like complaining, but please be warned, this hotel/castle really is not worth staying at for any price. I note some good wedding comments in trip advisor, but I think there are more complaints than compliments.

This hotel could be a beautiful environment if run properly for the right prices. Alas no.

One last thing, our waitress and bar man were very pleasant.
I really wish I had read trip advisor in advance of this visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
17  Thank Stephen L

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We attended a wedding and stayed one night in a standard double room as a special treat (I say double, two twins locked together, creating a discomfort right down the middle of the beds).

Although we made the most of it and enjoyed the wedding as best we could the following must be considered for any future guests.

The Castle itself is very historical - right down to the décor and standard of ...... although the grounds are beautiful.

Our room was dirty, dust I could write on - furniture stained with goodness knows what, bed uncomfy and cold, even with extra blankets - on a very hot night! Could not open window and no real running water in bathroom, a trickle at best.

Wedding meal was sub standard with everything overcooked. Public toilets on ground floor totally not in synch with "Castle" atmosphere, very 70s and badly in need of refurb. The carpets were very dusty and really the whole place could do with refreshing.

The bar was ok - the function suite bar was poorly stocked and poorly manned considering how many people were being catered for.

Breakfast was passable although the tea was tepid.

We did get a £30 discount when we muted our issues, still poor value for money and a real disappointment for us. Would not recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank JaneK3160
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Afternoon tea is such a popular outing these days so why not try Fernie castle. It's a beautiful, atmospheric building - very Scottish baronial. Food, drink and service all first class. A totally relaxing and pleasing experience.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Recently attended a wedding at Fernie Castle,castle and grounds are beautiful,I had requested a vegetarian menu and was confused as to why prawns would be on the menu,I was also asked if my menu could be taken to the kitchen which makes me think the kitchen staff did not know what Was on the menu,toilets could also do with a bit tlc,bin was overflowing with paper towels to the extent they were over the floor,very disappointed in a highly recommended hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Fernie Castle for one night. We booked a double room in advance and paid a discounted B&B rate of £130. I believe that the full rate for a double room with breakfast is £190.

The castle itself is a lovely fascinating building and the communal areas, such as lounges, ceremony rooms and bars were highly atmospheric. Within the castle's grounds there's a lake and the rolling hills of Fife's countryside provide a pretty backdrop. The prices of drinks at the bar, whether alcoholic or soft are reasonable. When made aware of an issue the castle's staff tried their best to resolve matters.

However, the standard of our room, along with the overall level of service and quality of food struggled to reach 2 Star, despite the fact Fernie Castle advertises itself as a 4 Star establishment and charges 4 Star prices.

Fernie Castle has immense potential as an event venue, hotel and restaurant but would benefit from staff experienced and trained in hospitality, event, catering and business management.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank KatyDundee
Reviewed May 10, 2013

1 night stay after a wedding, room average, broken tv, bathroom door would not shut, a pair of old tights in the bin, the main meal was reheated frozen fare, very poor, breakfast was ok at best. Lager on draft, but no beer, bar unattended at times, function bar very poorly stocked, not enough staff, profits maximised at guests expense. £130, poor value.

Room Tip: Lots of alternatives nearby.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Alexander C
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I recently attended a wedding at this venue.
While it is a nice looking place I found it to be quite disorganised.
The car park was a muddy patch of grass, the hotel was poorly signposted.
The room was noisy and cold, we had to request additional blankets.
The room was poor with no wardrobe to hang clothes and a bathroom door that would not shut.
Barking dogs at night also didn't help.
The waitresses didn't know where the tables were despite having a seating plan and seemed unsure of what they were doing.
Breakfast showed more disorganisation.
Personally, I'd not go back.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Graham_w_s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Letham
Rufflets Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kinghorn
Craigsanquhar House Hotel
Craigsanquhar House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Craigsanquhar

Been to Fernie Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!