“Friendly genuine great service”
Review of Lomond Hills Hotel

Lomond Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Freuchie
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stay in many hotels with my work and found this to be one of the best overall.owner managed and it shows in the pride of work. Would recommend to any one.super facilties including pool and gym free wifi in your room. One of the most comfortable beds . Small picturesque village.

• Stayed: July 2013
RONNIE D, Owner at Lomond Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Many thanks for your review and for the compliments you gave The Lomond Hills Hotel and our staff!
Much appreciated and hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We chanced upon the Lomond Hills Hotel while visiting friends in nearby Falkland. We only stayed one night, however we were made most welcome by the superb staff. The girl who checked us in at the front desk could not have been more helpful and was so kind and friendly to our little boy. We stayed in the family room (1 double + 2 singles) which easily accommodated us (husband and I plus 3 year old) and there was still plenty of room for a travel cot for the baby. Despite the decor being a little dated the room was spotless - credit to the cleaning staff.
I must commend all the staff we encountered on our visit. Their helpfulness towards us made our visit most enjoyable. I think we may have been the only family with small children staying in the hotel. This, coupled with the fact that it was our 3 year old's first stay in a hotel (we usually do self catering!), could have made for a rather fraught stay! However at no point were we made to feel like we were 'getting under anyone's feet' - both staff and other guests. Thank you all for that! It's always lovely to stay in a hotel where the staff are genuinely helpful and friendly rather than churning out the company lines. We were also very well catered for at breakfast and having a small child and baby, that is no small feat!

Have no hesitation in recommending this establishment to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
RONNIE D, Owner at Lomond Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Hi absgirl and many thanks for your great review.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us but delighted that your lovely children were happy and relaxed.
My own two kids are now adults and have flown the nest so I am jealous of people who stay here with young children and like to spoil them to ensure the parents have a pleasant stay. If the kids are happy so are Mum and Dad!
Hopefully your wee boy learned something about winding up grandmother clocks too.
Hopefully we will have the chance to look after you all again in the future at The Lomond Hills Hotel.
Best wishes and thanks again.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Needed a night to escape the hustle and bustle with some much needed quality time with hubby. Relaxing day in the spa, followed by excellent meal at night. Breakfast first class. Staff lovely and very accommodating and patience with my questions regarding food allergies. Would visit again.
Only negative was the mattress in the room - it was well used and lumpy.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
RONNIE D, Owner at Lomond Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Hi Claire and thank you so much for your constructive review. I am so happy to learn that you enjoyed your break with your husband. Running a hotel, I know EXACTLY how precious time out is. I'm disappointed to hear that a mattress did not ensure 100% satisfaction. If you would like to contact me directly please I will ensure that the mattress is replaced immediately.
I do appreciate your feedback and would love to be able to look after you and "hubby" again soon.
Many thanks.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Alanna and Noel D from Tasmania Australia stayed at Lomand Hills for nine days in July 2013, It was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in, the rooms were superb the staff very friendly and very professional. The Manager Ronnie was a great guy and couldn,t be more helpful, this is the second time we have stayed here and we are looking forward to coming back for a golfing holiday in about three years time. This Hotel is easily a five star venue.

Thanks to Ronnie and the staff.

Noel and Alanna D

Room Tip: Rooms at the front upstairs were good
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
RONNIE D, Owner at Lomond Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thanks Alanna and Noel for you really kind review. It was great to see you again (it didn't seem like 3 years since your last trip).
We know that there are many hotels you could use as your base when visiting Scotland on holiday and we are delighted that you enjoyed your last visit so much that you returned to stay at The Lomond Hills!!!
I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip around Europe and hope to see you again soon......with your golf clubs!
The staff want to thank you very much for the chocolates (which didn't last long) and the lovely card you left on departure.
Best wishes and thanks again. Ronnie (Fawlty to Noel ha ha)

Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is fast becoming one of my favourite hotels in Scotland. The accommodation is slightly old-fashioned (it is an old building after all) though our en-suite looked brand new, with a big bath and heated rail.

The food in the restaurant is excellent (the Steak Diane possibly the best I've ever eaten) with an astonishing variety of dishes given the size of the place. The breakfast was great - and served to 10-00 am - and had a full vegetarian breakfast as standard on the menu. My wife and my aunt (who joined us for an evening meal) are both vegetarians and were extremely well catered for on the menu.

The leisure facilities are small-scale, but pleasant, clean and well-presented. We were able to get the pool to ourselves both mornings by going for a few laps before breakfast, which was great.

I think the one aspect which really sets the place apart though is the unyielding friendliness, courteousness and helpfulness of the staff and management alike. The standard of customer care never slips. I was particularly impressed by the manner in which Ronnie and his bar-staff nurture their local village clientele alongside diners and residential guests. Too often in locations like this, the locals are an afterthought or, worse, deemed an inconvenience. But here the integration of the local customers and the residential ones makes for a really great atmosphere in the bar area.

Not for the first time we had a really fantastic stay at The Lomond Hiils Hotel. I imagine as long as I'm coming back home to Fife, I'll be coming back to this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
RONNIE D, Owner at Lomond Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Thanks Rory for taking the time to post such a great review.
I am so happy to learn that you had such a good time with us and now class The Lomond Hills as one of your favourite hotels in Scotland!
It is so nice to know that the hard work of our super staff (the best asset we have in the hotel) is appreciated by our guests, many of whom become friends as they return time and time again.
We have a great team in the kitchen who produce good, honest food that proves very popular with visitors and locals alike.
I'm also happy to read that you enjoyed the range of malts we have in the bar and hopefully will see you back again soon....50 really is a little too many to sample on one trip ha ha.
Best wishes and thanks again.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed with 5 work colleagues for a week , I must say it was a wonderful hotel , the staff were very welcomingand friendly.

it was like a tardis !! It looked small from the outside but inside were room after room !! It was very deceiving . The bedrooms were tidied every day to a superb standard , and the whole hotel looked tidy too .

In my job , I get to travel a lot and stay in different accommodation in various hotels , and I can safely say this was one of my most enjoyable and memorable stays !!

I am looking forward to coming back in the next few months !!

Many thanks to Ronnie and all of the staff !!

Wayne (Smurfit Kappa)

• Stayed: July 2013

Hi Wayne and many thanks indeed for taking the time to post such a positive review!
I spent 10 years travelling and staying in hotels before I bought The Lomond Hills Hotel. I try to run my hotel the way I used to like to be looked after. Clean rooms, good beer and food and friendly staff are more important than star ratings or large soul less modern hotels.
I am glad that our efforts are appreciated by our loyal guests who return time after time.
We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 21, 2013

On our way to Falkland in Fife on a very hot day we came upon the Lomond Hills. We went in and got offered the restaurant or the bar, we opted for the bar as the door to the outside was open and offered shade. We were given menus as we ordewred our drinks. A good selection for a quick lunch. I opted for the Luxury cheese on toast ===Scrummy! Cheese,egg,creme fraiche and Mustard Ontop of a large bloomer slice of bread spread with Chilli jam - Great choice and reasonable. My wife had a s/wich on fresh bloomer bread and a salad. Food good,Real ale good, what better for a hungry and thirsty traveller!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
RONNIE D, Owner at Lomond Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Hi Rod and many thanks for the great review. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your lunch. Freuchie and the surrounding area is very beautiful with lots to do and see and it's not too far from Aberdeen so perhaps we will have the chance to look after you if you are looking for somewhere to stay for a short break.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Freuchie
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
#4 of 17 in St. Andrews
Fairmont St Andrews
Fairmont St Andrews
#5 of 17 in St. Andrews

Been to Lomond Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!