“Hidden gem!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Freuchie
Aberdeen
“Hidden gem!”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I say hidden gem because, to me, Freuchie is just the wee village I have to remember to slow down to 40mph at on my blast up the road home to Aberdeen from Fife. My husband, toddler and I were on a week's break with his Mum in Leven and we were looking to go somewhere nice for a meal while Granny looked after our daughter. We like a bottle of red with our meal so are usually restricted to going places within a reasonable taxi fare distance but as we don't get out much we decided to make the most of it and stay the night. My husband picked the hotel after reading the good reviews and seeing it had a leisure centre - the thought of a dip in the pool after a sweltering day in the sun was tempting!

The young receptionist on check-in seemed interested in us, was helpful and made us feel welcome, which was a good first impression.

The room was clean with crisp white bedding and was not overlooked. The bathroom had a power shower over the bath which made it difficult for one to shower and the other to use the sink without being 'spat' on but that's a minor negative point. The TV was small but had Sky TV should we have wished to chill out in our room for longer. Instead, we preferred to soak up the ambience and sat outside in the sun with a pre-dinner drink. After dinner we took a wander through Freuchie and enjoyed looking at all the different quaint cottages. The locals were friendly and all took the time to say hello as we passed, which was nice, especially coming from a city where you're lucky if a shop assistant looks at you while handing you your change!

We didn't use the gym but enjoyed a peaceful hour using the small indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam room, in a room with an interesting wooden ceiling, making us think we were in an old church!

At dinner, I had smoked salmon and smoked trout on a bed of rocket with a dill mayonnaise and a slice of lemon - yum! My fillet steak was thick and huge and cooked to perfection. We were asked if we wanted steak knives but there was no need as our knives cut through them easily. The accompanying vegetables, chips and sauce were lovely, too. We shared a bottle of Chilean Merlot over our first two courses and were given time to finish it before our desserts arrived. A very enjoyable meal and probably the best steak I've ever tasted :-) Our waitresses were attentive and efficient without us feeling rushed, and made friendly conversation. We left them a good tip!

Breakfast was in a nice bright and airy room with a selection of cereals, read, juices, rolls, yoghurts and croissants, and we were able to order a cooked breakfast too. We had a precious lie-in (our 2 year old usually gets me up just after 7am) before going down for breakfast at 8:35am and I got the impression that this was later than most people usually have it as the waitress said we were the last room to be served, so I did feel a little rushed as she busily reset the room round us. However, my bacon and eggs were tasty and it was good to have breakfast included in the room price as I often skip this meal as I'm on a rush.

On checking out, we again felt welcome guests by the older receptionist and a man whom I assumed to be the owner. I told him the steak was the best I'd had and he said they have a very good butcher who gives them prime cuts. For the same price in Malmaison in Aberdeen I had a similar amazing tasting fillet steak but at half the size!

To conclude, I would definitely recommend the hotel and restaurant to others and we will most likely return if we are feeling decadent enough to have another hotel break so close to home!

All-in-all,

• Stayed July 2013
RONNIE D, Owner at Lomond Hills Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Musyko. Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a great review after your recent stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your short break and felt relaxed and comfortable. I remember your comments about how much you enjoyed your steak and have told our Head Chef accordingly. Hopefully we will have the chance to look after you again when you have the opportunity to visit Fife.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed here Friday 12th July- The rooms was spotless and there was plenty of tea& coffe in room, free wifi was available in room as well as in rest of hotle. The wee bar is very quaint although there is a larger seating area just before reception
For dinner I had cullen skink (smoked haddock soup) for starters and him indoors had carrot & leek soup both of which were fab. for our main I had the duck and him indoors had the venison pie once again we were not disappointed the meal was lovely and very reasonable. The staff were very nice and the service was great
Our room was splotlessly clean the ensuite is a full bath & shower, the bed was very comfortable.
The only gripe I had was the big orange light shining into the room, this was to light up the car park below but it caused me a slightly distrubed sleep and we had to close the windows as this light was attracting moths and wee buzzing midgy type flies which started to come into the room, this was a bit of a bummer as the we were in the middle of a heatwave.
the next morning we had to leave around 5.30 but as there is no-one on the desk and all the doors are locked we had to ring for someone to open the doors and check us out- the chap who arrived to release us lol was very pleasant and so cheery for an early morning start- it wasn't any bother - just unusual.
All in all a very pleasant stay - but please get rid of the big orange light or at least turn it off at night

Room Tip: ask for the big orange light to get switched off if you are allocated a room overlooking the car par...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
RONNIE D, Owner at Lomond Hills Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Hi Ali and many thanks for the lovely review. I'm delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and are so complimentary about the food we serve in our restaurant. I am sorry that the floodlights in the car park area disturbed your sleep....they are switched off at midnight so perhaps you were asleep earlier than you thought ha ha! I'm also delighted to learn that you thought I wasn't too grumpy at 5.30 am when you left. We's love to see you in Freuchie again if you have the chance. Best wishes and many thanks again.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed at the Lomond Hills Hotel on the last night of our scottish trip.
Staff were very friendly and polite.
Room was very clean with a small fridge which was good as it was a very hot evening.
Breakfast was great and would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RONNIE D, Owner at Lomond Hills Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Hello Brian and lots of thanks for taking the time to post such a good review! I am very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Lomond Hills Hotel. I appreciate your kind comments about our staff who are very loyal and genuinely care about the hotel and our guests. They are the best asset we have and the reason so many guests return time and time again.
Many thanks and we hope to see you again soon.
Whitby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before when working in Scotland. I have now taken my Wife and Father in Law back for a weekend break so please read on.

The food in the restaurant is very good with plenty of choice, a well laid out dining room and table service to match.

The staff are great and are very helpfull but not over bearing and worthy of a tip.

The rooms are adequate and very clean, also a great gym and pool.
We certainly will stay again. Tony and Clare Easton Whitby

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tony E
RONNIE D, Owner at Lomond Hills Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Hello Tony and thank you for your very nice review.
It's great to know that you all enjoyed your recent stay with us at The Lomond Hills Hotel and that our fantastic staff looked after you. We hope we will have the opportunity to see you again soon.
Ronnie
Edinburgh
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We booked here just the day before to get away for the weekend with walking and sightseeing. This is just down the road from Falkland Palace and the Lomond Hills walks and situated in a nice unpretentious village. There was a wedding reception on that evening but this did not impinge on the superb service and friendly attentiveness all the staff in reception, bar and restaurant. The quality of food at dinner and breakfast (this will really set you up for the day) was excellent. Although we did not use the pool this looked nice with a small sauna available.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JAK45
RONNIE D, Owner at Lomond Hills Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your fantastic review!
It's most pleasing to me that the hard work of our dedicated staff shows in the way guests are cared for when staying with us. As you know, there are many ways to enjoy the beautiful countryside in this part of Fife so hopefully we will see you again at The Lomond Hills Hotel when you next have a short break away.
Best regards and thanks again. Ronnie.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2013

On 1st June we celebrated my dad's 90th birthday with almost 60 guests, the majority of whom stayed the night in the hotel. It was a wonderful occasion made all the better with helpful and friendly staff, fantastic food and great facilities. Thank you again for making it such a special day. - taken a while to do this but just arrived back home.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RONNIE D, Owner at Lomond Hills Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Hello Maureen and many thanks for your kind review!
We are all delighted to hear that we were able to help your dad and family and friends enjoy such a landmark birthday occasion. It's easy for us to look after nice people and that was certainly the case when you were here. Best regards and thanks again. Ronnie.
Lancashire, England
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Myself and colleagues have been staying here since 2005 and the standards have always remained high. So high that we will never stay anywhere else in the area and try to work jobs around the hotel's availability.
From the warm, friendly service, their fine choice and standard of meals in the restaurant, an added bonus of the swimming pool and cask ales in the bar you cannot ask more from an establishment.
The surrounding area is good for mountain biking, walking, golfing and other leisure pursuits and only 40 minutes from Edinburgh on the train.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Freuchie
Best Western Balgeddie House Hotel
#1 of 17 in St. Andrews
Fairmont St Andrews
Fairmont St Andrews
#4 of 17 in St. Andrews

Been to Lomond Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!