“A Cosy Home Away From Home At The Ruin At Maspie House”

Maspie House Gallery
Ranked #5 of 11 things to do in Falkland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Art gallery and shop in the heart of Falkland's historic village and only a few steps from the entrance to Falkland Palace. Featuring a dynamic range of artists and designers from Fife and beyond. Original paintings, Giclee prints, ceramics, sculpture and jewellery. Framing service available.
Reviewed December 27, 2017 via mobile

My family and I had just spent 10 days in Scotland visiting relatives and we chose The Ruin at Maspie House as a base. How many b&b’s can boast of being part of a well-stocked, art gallery and gift house, is tastefully furnished and well-located within Falkland village right next to the palace?

This was one of our best vacation choices that ticked all our boxes. The House was so comfortable, and the attention to details, right from the type of books on the shelf, to the basket of snacks, the jar of jellies, the soft beds, and the Molton Brown toiletries as well as the retractable roof that let a lot of light in...made this choice of a b&b second to none.

John, our host, was the epitome of Scottish hospitality, often offering suggestions and giving tips, and generously offering our son the loan of his bike should he wanted to take it out for a ride on a rare sunny day.

On Christmas Day, John dropped by the house with a tray filled with festive cheer. We had a bottle of prosecco and Christmas crackers. Love the kind thought.

Here’s why having the Ruin attached to the Maspie art gallery was a treat. When John wanted to leave us a message when we were out and about, I loved it that he wrote it on a postcard with the print of Fife pop artist Dominic Currie on it. This in itself was a wonderful keepsake, a piece of Scottish creativity that I could take home with me.

Because I love the craftsmanship and creativity of Scottish artists, like Louise Browne, I purchased a couple of gifts for myself from her brand Queenie Browne at the gallery too.

The Ruin At Maspie House is definitely a one stop shop choice for a fabulous stay and great gifts too.

Date of experience: December 2017

Reviewed July 20, 2017 via mobile

Great place to find small French antiques eg enamel bathroom items, tins, signs, etc. Plus original paintings and unique gifts (amazing pop up books that the kids love)

Date of experience: July 2017
john m, Owner at Maspie House Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2017

Thanks Paul, The Wizard of Oz pop up is my favourite!

Reviewed June 22, 2017

We were very impressed by the lovely art on sale in this gallery.
This is a good place to visit and revisit. We will definitely revisit this gallery.

Date of experience: May 2017

Thanks, we try and update the range regularly but coming from a family of artists Peter and Sarah McLaren's work is on permanent display. So too the work of Susan McGill, a long time friend. J

Reviewed June 11, 2017

This is a lovely little Gallery in the middle of Falkland which is well worth a visit. There are lots of different and interesting little gifts for sale at reasonable prices. There is no pressure by staff to buy so you can browse as long as you wish.

Date of experience: June 2017

Janet, so pleased my relaxed attitude comes over. Hope I didn't bore you with any of my dad gags. J