“Great meal experience”

Ostlers Close
Ranked #4 of 57 Restaurants in Cupar
Cuisines: British, Scottish, European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The elegant modern dining room has a relaxed welcoming atmosphere. Short hand-written menus change frequently, as they are based on local seasonal ingredients. A concise interesting choice ensures that each dish is prepared individually for each customer, allowing for great attention to detail. The restaurant is an ideal place to book for a private party to celebrate a special occasion, birthday, anniversary or an intimate wedding. Set tasting menus are tailor-made to the diners choice. The restaurant can accommodate special dietary requirements easily, as everything is home-made - just let us know in advance when you book. For example, we bake our own gluten-free bread for coeliacs. If you require a vegetarian menu or have any other dietary requirements, please let us know when booking. The wine list offers an interesting reasonably priced selection, hand selected affordable quality wines to compliment the food.
Whitley Bay
“Great meal experience”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Ostlers Close is not a big restaurant, 25-30 covers, but this adds to the atmosphere. The cooking is largely done by the husband and the front of house by the very welcoming wife who knows all about the food on the menu and the wines on the wine list and is obviously passionate about them both. The food menu changes depending on what they can get in. I had the very nice grouse which is an occasional addition but all the meals were very well reported on and the plates all finished clean! The veggy option was also very well received, though they ask you to let them know in advance in you have any vegetarians in the party.
The other staff were very pleasant as well.
Booking most definitely advised.
I can throroughly recommend Ostlers Close for a special occasion. Not the cheapest, starters about £8-12 and main courses around £23, but well worth it.
The wines were very good value for money and the only one I already knew had less than a 100% mark up which is rare for a restaurant.

• Visited August 2013

Stirling, Canada
“Another great meal from Amanda and Jimmy”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Ostler's Close has been my favourite restaurant for some years now. In the UK, only Restaurant Gordon Ramsay brings as much anticipation to my wife and me. We were here again with friends in early August and everything was as good as ever. The amuse-bouche was a glorious fish soup, while for starters, Jimmy's scallops remain the best I know (better than Ramsay's), and all our starters were as good - wild cod was amazing too. For the mains, the fish assortment included wild salmon from the Fay, turbot and monkfish, the wood pigeon breast was gobbled up by a first time pigeon eater and the lamb roast was to die for. Some of us even managed some of Amanda's divine desserts - panna cotta and honey yoghurt ice cream, while one of us had the lovely selection of Scottish cheeses.

This is a really special place. Amanda and Jimmy have spent a long time building this restaurant; it is, by a country mile, the best restaurant in Fife and one of the best in Scotland. Go there; it's not cheap, but, boy, is it value for money.

Visited August 2013
Stirling, Canada
“Wonderful food”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Jimmy is a truly gifted chef and Amanda's desserts are honestly delicious. Went with friends and had just a great evening, we have been going there for quite a few years now and have never been disappointed.

Visited July 2013
East Sussex
“Still love this place!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have dined here intermittently over the past 25 years and still rate Jimmy Graham as one of the best chefs my palate has encountered. His short menu has always been able to please everyone I have ever taken there. Our most recent visit was as ever, predictable; excellent quality ingredients prepared with skill and served by Amanda and her team with the right balance of professionalism and bonhomie.

The dining room is small but this creates for a wonderfully vibrant atmosphere. Given its location in a smallish market town off the main tourist route of the East Neuk, it is not surprising that many clients are frequent visitors. It is therefore entirely expected that some diners on most evenings will be known to the staff. As a very occasional visitor I personally find this very comforting. If you want quiet and stuffy may I suggest you go somewhere else. That will leave more room for me!

One more thing, Ostler's Close presents exceptional value.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank skyecorrina
“Must visit this restaurant if you are in Fife!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

One of the best meals I have ever had.

My partner took me to this restaurant for a birthday meal and I have absolutely no complaints. The restaurant is tucked away up a close in a quaint old building. There are not many tables so I would imagine that you need to book at a weekend.

The menu is small but has a bit of something to suit everyone and it changes regularly. The wine list was impressive and reasonably priced.

One of the owners works out front of house whilst her husband is the chef. The menu was an example of how much fresh and tasty ingredients Scotland has to offer. As a vegetarian I was delighted to have two tasty and well thought out choices for starter and main. The owners certainly give the impression that all dietary requirements could be catered for.

I didn't see a single plate that went back to the kitchen that wasn't scraped clean.

A fantastic restaurant with delicious food and welcoming and friendly owners.

• Visited May 2013