“weekend break”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crail
Peebles, United Kingdom
“weekend break”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a weekend in Crail at the Balcomie Links. We chose this hotel for its situation. Hotel very clean made to feel very welcome on arrival, owners and staff very pleasant. Breakfasts and dinners very good. Room 12 spacious, bright, clean and lovely views over Firth and Isle of May. Only fault in this day and age although TV in room we never managed to have a signal all weekend!!!!!!! surely in this day and age Sky TV????? I know this is not what you have breaks for but still good to catch up with the world & forecasts at some point in the day. Otherwise great weekend.

Room Tip: Room 12 spacious great views of Firth, Isle of May,and Bass Rock
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ellbee_13
Balcomie, Owner at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review of your stay with us.
We are please to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and sorry for the tv signal during your stay. It happens during that time of the year for a short while due to atmospheric condition and goes OK for the rest of the year. Unfortunately Sky is not a viable option for us, we could not justify the cost of it.
Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This small family run hotel was close to St Andrews (10-15 mins) and numerous other golf courses in the area. The village is a beautiful old fishing village- largely unchanged I think. the village rather reminded me of Port Wenn off Doc Martin on TV!- beautiful old stone houses, fishing boats, crayfish for sale at the harbour and a unique little museum that was free.
Our room in the hotel was huge- well able to accommodate 2 suitcases and golf clubs. Rooms were meticulously clean. Wifi was available in the public areas and was fast and reliable. We had dinner here and both dinner and breakfast were enjoyable.
The hosts were friendly and we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front overlooking the bay
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DrVik
Balcomie, Owner at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review of your stay with us.
we do appreciate your view and measure our performance against all reviews.
It is always pleasing to us to hear that our guests had an enjoyable stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
united kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have recently returned from an overnight stay. To be honest we only choose this hotel because it brought back memories for my parents who used to visit many years ago. However I have to say that the photos on the web site do not do it justice. The two rooms we had were huge with fantastic views and the most comfiest bed. The rooms and the hotel were spotless. We ate in the hotel in the evening and had a great meal very reasonably priced. Breakfast was excellent and although we were the only ones in the dining room we were not rushed. Hosts and staff were very welcoming. Great value for money. We would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Room 2 is huge with a fantastic view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Balcomie, Owner at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review of your stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you had enjoyable stay with us, the hotel has undergone through lot of changes in the last 50 years or so but still managed to keep it's original character and those who return back after many years, are pleasantly surprised how it managed to keep it's originality.
We hope to welcome you back again soon in the near future.
hamilton scotland
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Myself and my brother-in-law stayed at the balcomie links for an overnight in November.We chose this hotel because it is close to Kingsbarns where we where to play golf. On arrival we where welcomed with open arms and given the key to our twin room with en-suite. The room was very big with everything we needed for our stay,we decided to have dinner downstairs in the bar which was very reasonably priced,there was also a snug bar with sky sports and a seperate room with pool and darts.The morning of our golf we had a wonderfull Scottish breakfast which kept us going during our golf game which was a fantastic day. Don't bother about all these negative comments as some people are never satisfied,I would recommend using this hotel to any one

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank galla8
Balcomie, Owner at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to place a review of your stay and a big thank you for your kind and encouraging comments about the hotel. It makes all the difference when you hear positive comments like yours. It is great when people appreciate the effort we put in. Our aim always is to make our guests feel welcome and comfortable and we know it is impossible to please everyone, but we do try our best.
Once again, THANK YOU.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My partner and I stayed on Saturday and Sunday night. The Hotel is cosy and comfortable. We had a fantastic sea view with extra large window. The staff were excellent as were the owners who were very friendly and chatty. I would definately recomend this hotel for the closeness of Crail itself and also surrounding area i.e. Anstruther, St Andrews and Cupar. Crail harbour is quaint and we had lovely seafood. The breakfast was fantastic and kept us going till evening. Full marks! K and P

Room Tip: Room 5 has great views overlooking North Sea and Firth of Forth and Isle of May.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kathleen1957
Balcomie, Manager at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for your review of your stay over the Easter Weekend. We are please that you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here over the Easter weekend for 5 nights. Had a great stay, tbe hotel is in a great location, the staff are very friendly snd the room nicely decorated and comfortable. We ate in the hotel most nights and the food was great. Loved breakfast. Very relaxed and good value for money.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank yorkshiregirl7788
Balcomie, Owner at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review of your stay with us over the Easter Weekend. We do all we can to ensure all our guest feel welcome and have an enjoyable and memorable experience at the Balcomie Links Hotel. We are pleased, as a returning guest, you once more enjoyed your stay,
Thank you again and hopefully we will see you again in the future.
Porto, Porto, Portugal
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Marion Ferguson (Utilizador) comentários da última semana
Qualidade Fraco a Razoável Instalações Fraco a Razoável Serviço Fraco a Razoável
I stayed in this hotel a few days ago and was shocked at the quality and size of the Family Suite rooms 8 and 9. It cannot be considered in my opinion as a Family Suite, first because of the size of each room which I can only describe as sardine tins and secondly because of the conditions. Each room has a heavy self closing fire door which meant it was impossible to leave my son´s room door open so I couldn´t hear him during the night.It was also very heavy for a child to push open,the door actually banged shut on my son´s leg.The radiator in my son´s room wasn´t working and it was like a walk in fridge. The bath was dirty and the washbasin was in the separate toilet room which was very inconvenient.I put one item of clothing on the bar in the wardrobe in my room and it snapped instantly so there was nowhere to hang my clothes.I spent the night in the lower bunkbed as my 8 year old son felt very cut off from me. I noticed that behind the bed at pillow level there was a double plug socket with the light and TV plug, very easy for a child to reach from their bed and very dangerous.The hairdryer was attached to the inside of the bedside drawer, but no mirror nearby.There was no telephone in the room which was very inconvenient considering there was no mobile network in the room.Our view out of the window was of beer crates.When I complained to the hotel manager,he told me they´d been refurbishing the other rooms but that one hadn´t been done yet.In my opinion the room should not be made available to the public and it seemed to be a room kept for staff.I only stayed one night and luckily found a beautiful hotel with a HUGE family room with sea view at the Marine Hotel, for half the price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Marion F
Thank you for your review. We are extremely sorry that we haven’t resolved your disappointment with the room.
We do have a rolling refurbishment plan with a small budget and we tackle each room at a time. Unfortunately the room you stayed in has not yet been refurbished. Bearing in mind we are only a two star hotel, this room still meets two star standards. Although the refurbished rooms are to a higher standard, we still maintain our grading as a two star hotel.
As per your own admission, you did accept the room initially as it was, when you checked in at lunch time and didn’t complain until late that evening after seeing your parents’ room (refurbished) which was a front room with a view.
Neither of our two family rooms faces the front of the hotel, where the sea views are.
We also did offer you an alternative room for the following night, at no cost to you, which we could not do for your first night as we were full. Once again we are extremely disappointed that we did not find a solution to your problem.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crail
Kilconquhar Castle Estate and Country Club
#3 of 10 in Anstruther
The Bank - Anstruther
The Bank - Anstruther
#1 of 10 in Anstruther

Been to Balcomie Links Hotel? Share your experiences!