“Weekend Break in April”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crail
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Weekend Break in April”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My partner and I stayed on Saturday and Sunday night. The Hotel is cosy and comfortable. We had a fantastic sea view with extra large window. The staff were excellent as were the owners who were very friendly and chatty. I would definately recomend this hotel for the closeness of Crail itself and also surrounding area i.e. Anstruther, St Andrews and Cupar. Crail harbour is quaint and we had lovely seafood. The breakfast was fantastic and kept us going till evening. Full marks! K and P

Room Tip: Room 5 has great views overlooking North Sea and Firth of Forth and Isle of May.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kathleen1957
Balcomie, Manager at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for your review of your stay over the Easter Weekend. We are please that you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here over the Easter weekend for 5 nights. Had a great stay, tbe hotel is in a great location, the staff are very friendly snd the room nicely decorated and comfortable. We ate in the hotel most nights and the food was great. Loved breakfast. Very relaxed and good value for money.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank yorkshiregirl7788
Balcomie, Owner at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review of your stay with us over the Easter Weekend. We do all we can to ensure all our guest feel welcome and have an enjoyable and memorable experience at the Balcomie Links Hotel. We are pleased, as a returning guest, you once more enjoyed your stay,
Thank you again and hopefully we will see you again in the future.
Porto, Porto, Portugal
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Marion Ferguson (Utilizador) comentários da última semana
Qualidade Fraco a Razoável Instalações Fraco a Razoável Serviço Fraco a Razoável
I stayed in this hotel a few days ago and was shocked at the quality and size of the Family Suite rooms 8 and 9. It cannot be considered in my opinion as a Family Suite, first because of the size of each room which I can only describe as sardine tins and secondly because of the conditions. Each room has a heavy self closing fire door which meant it was impossible to leave my son´s room door open so I couldn´t hear him during the night.It was also very heavy for a child to push open,the door actually banged shut on my son´s leg.The radiator in my son´s room wasn´t working and it was like a walk in fridge. The bath was dirty and the washbasin was in the separate toilet room which was very inconvenient.I put one item of clothing on the bar in the wardrobe in my room and it snapped instantly so there was nowhere to hang my clothes.I spent the night in the lower bunkbed as my 8 year old son felt very cut off from me. I noticed that behind the bed at pillow level there was a double plug socket with the light and TV plug, very easy for a child to reach from their bed and very dangerous.The hairdryer was attached to the inside of the bedside drawer, but no mirror nearby.There was no telephone in the room which was very inconvenient considering there was no mobile network in the room.Our view out of the window was of beer crates.When I complained to the hotel manager,he told me they´d been refurbishing the other rooms but that one hadn´t been done yet.In my opinion the room should not be made available to the public and it seemed to be a room kept for staff.I only stayed one night and luckily found a beautiful hotel with a HUGE family room with sea view at the Marine Hotel, for half the price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Marion F
Thank you for your review. We are extremely sorry that we haven’t resolved your disappointment with the room.
We do have a rolling refurbishment plan with a small budget and we tackle each room at a time. Unfortunately the room you stayed in has not yet been refurbished. Bearing in mind we are only a two star hotel, this room still meets two star standards. Although the refurbished rooms are to a higher standard, we still maintain our grading as a two star hotel.
As per your own admission, you did accept the room initially as it was, when you checked in at lunch time and didn’t complain until late that evening after seeing your parents’ room (refurbished) which was a front room with a view.
Neither of our two family rooms faces the front of the hotel, where the sea views are.
We also did offer you an alternative room for the following night, at no cost to you, which we could not do for your first night as we were full. Once again we are extremely disappointed that we did not find a solution to your problem.
ARBROATH
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed overnight at the Balcomie and received a pleasant reception from the owner, stayed in room 12, which was very spacious and clean with good views over the Forth, but the room was tired and the pillows are in need of being replaced (badly stained). Whilst the bathroom was clean, it is in need of an upgrade and whilst there was a note saying that the hot water has a long way to come and would take a few minutes, it was much much more than that. At breakfast the welcome could have been warmer, the dining room was bright and airy and we both enjoyed our breakfast. Did not feel that this hotel represented value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WELSHMAN50Arbroath
Balcomie, Owner at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review of your stay with us and thank you for your feedback. We value all feedback and try to improve on our shortcomings and improve our overall guest experience.
We take note of your comments and will try to act on the ones that we can make improvements.
Although we have a rolling upgrade program end of each season, but we do recognise that there are certain rooms, are due for refurbishment in the near future.
Once again, Thank you.
Altrincham Cheshire
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Sadly I am not able to endorse the many favourable reviews of this Hotel. After a 6 hr drive we were met by the hostess who seemed to be interested only in my bank card. No polite enquiry about our journey. I was handed some papers indicating the hotel had tried to take payment prior to our arrival but had been thwarted by security. I had to pay before I was handed a key. After meeting our granddaughter in St Andrews, she expressed a wish to return to our hotel for dinner. When I telephoned the host to ask if a guest bed could be provided I was told the hotel had none, and an enquiry for a single room met with the same response. We therefore dined at a very good Italian restaurant in St Andrews instead. On returning to our hotel after 11pm we did not see another person in the premises. I tried running a hot bath but the water ran cold. The same thing happened in the morning so we left without staying for breakfast. A very miserable experience indeed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kaydeeem
Balcomie, Owner at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review of your stay at the Balcomie Links Hotel.
I am sorry to hear that your stay with us fell short of your expectations. It is our policy to take the first night stay as a confirmation deposit from the card provided at the time of making the reservation.
If for any reason this wasn't done then we ask guests to make the payment on arrival, especially if they are staying for one night. I think that what has happened in your case.
We do not provide guest bed to accommodate third person in the guest rooms and we do not have any single rooms in the hotel. On the night in question a twin or a double room could have been provided for your granddaughter if you so wished.
As to the hot water, it does take 2, 3 minutes for the hot water to reach the guest rooms, there is information to that effect in the room folder, advising guest to run the water for at least 2 to 3 minutes in order to have a comfortable shower or bath. If you have brought this to our attention at the time we could have explained it to you.
We always try to make our guest feel welcome and comfortable during their stay with us. On this occasion, we haven't achieved our objective and for that I apologise sincerely.
Hampshire
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Just spent 3 nights here for golf. Arrived late Fri, unsure of local facilities as early October. Needn't have worried as hotel has excellent menu of freshly cooked food served by very friendly staff. Bar is also part of local community & we enjoyed the regular Fri night quiz which is a lively fun event! Decor may be a little dated but rooms are very clean & comfortable, tea/coffee in room, ample hot water in en suite bathroom, & fluffy towels. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order & Mike & staff were on hand to answer any queries. In fact restaurant was so good, we ate there all 3 nights & enjoyed very much having relaxed drinks in the bar.
So I would definitely recommend Balcomie Links with 5* for atmosphere & hospitality.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Balcomie, Owner at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for taking time to review of your stay at the Balcomie Links Hotel. It is always nice to hear that our guest have an enjoyable stay with us, we do appreciate the feedback.
Please do not hesitate to contact us again, we'll only be too happy to help you with any trips you may plan to Scotland and Fife again in the future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Just want to say a very big thank you to The Balcomie Hotel - as a solo traveller it is always nice to be warmly welcomed and that is exactly what I received from everyone at the hotel including the locals - had such a lovely meal and a great time that I left my coat in the the wardrobe - a big bulky coat!! Thank you to Mike and Ayshe - my coat is on the way in the post to my UK base for the more than happy to pay £5 - thank you, thank you!! Great place, great staff and great service!.

Room Tip: book ahead on your website...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Sandra H
Balcomie, Owner at Balcomie Links Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking time to review your stay at the Balcomie Links Hotel. We appreciate all feedbacks, positive or negative, to measure our performance and try to improve our services to our guests. We are very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future. Enjoy your tour of Scotland and have safe journey back home.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crail
Premier Inn St Andrews Hotel
#1 of 10 in Anstruther
The Inn at Kingsbarns
The Inn at Kingsbarns
#1 of 3 in Kingsbarns

Been to Balcomie Links Hotel? Share your experiences!