Seven Thirty, still accommodating the temperature differences, I remembered what the young woman seated next to me on the plane from Tampa had said: "When I get into London, we're having fish and chips!"
Now, let it be said, I've eaten some very tasty ones when I've been in London and some very duff ones at the seaside but that very same thought had popped into my mind, about what I'd have for my supper, when I got home, and with a very large glass of wine.
But, as I headed down to The Waterfront, I'd temporarily forgotten about the chilly wind and the dramatic entrances some can make when they're being (pardon the pun) battered by it.
So, like that traveller who'd interrupted Coleridge's Dream, I almost fell through the door and demanding a Warm Place.
Which this was, but I needed a radiator!
Us fish and chip afficionados are very critical of how its batter is composed, probably as much as what is the freshness of the species that's in it and, believe me, while that east wind continued to howl outside, my taste buds were singing.
With a copy of Michael Connolly's latest thriller, a glass of Merlot, followed by a mellifluous coffee and a superb rendition of a Fish Supper all mournful thoughts about the weather I'd left behind Quite Disappeared. I live nearby, so had no need of a bed, although Word of Mouth says they're very comfortable!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Described as "One of the treasures of the East Neuk," The Waterfront was proudly opened in May 2003, hosting a 55 seat a’ la carte restaurant. Personally run, The Waterfront has Anstruther’s finest location situated just a few steps from Anstruther’s harbour and marina with views over the Firth of Forth. During the warmer months we boast al fresco dining to the front and a mature courtyard for relaxing to the rear. We aim to cater for all tastes. Varied Seafood selections, chef’s specials, children’s menu, delicious coffee and cakes. The Waterfront seafood selection is surely there to impress boasting freshly delivered fish from local markets including oriental scallops, citrus salmon, stuffed sea bass, steamed mussels and a true Scottish favourite that has stood the test of time, good old Fish and Chips. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your The Waterfront reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Waterfront Hotel Anstruther
- The Waterfront Anstruther, Scotland - Fife