“Best eatery in Musselburgh”

Gurkha Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 56 Restaurants in Musselburgh
Cuisines: Indian, Nepali
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: About Gurkha’s"Better to die than be a coward" is the motto of the world-famous Nepalese Gurkha soldiers who are an integral part of the British Army.The potential of these warriors was first realized by the British at the height of their empire-building in the last century. The Victorians identified them as a "martial race", perceiving in them particularly masculine qualities of toughness."If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha." -Sir Sam Manekshaw “There is No safer place to be then with Gurkhas” -Prince Harry
Edinburgh
“Best eatery in Musselburgh”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Musselburgh is short on decent eateries, so I'm really pleased that the Gurkha has stepped up to the plate with gorgeous food, attentive service and nice surroundings.

I visited with friends for lunch, approx £8-9 for 2 courses which is great value. The presentation of our starters was well considered with a vibrant salad and tasty yoghurt and tamarind sauces on the side - no limp iceberg here. Main courses all went down very well too, the nan bread was not stodgy at all, but was nicely thin and very moreish.

I'm a big fan of lassi so was pleased that they had them on the menu too, along with Nepalese beers.

A fantastic addition to the Musselburgh area, that deserves to do really well.

Visited May 2013

“Another good Indian in Musselburgh”
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Visited Gurkha for first time yesterday. Highly impressed by restaurant. Great presentation, polite/attentive staff and excellent food. House wine excellent and good value as well. Very highly recommended. Best in Musselburgh.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The best place in Musselburgh and beyond. Will definatly be back. Food, presentation and service are all exceptional! Has a nice mix of Nepalese and Indian choices on the menu, and the staff are very knowledgeable. Woild eat here everyday!

Vancouver, Canada
“Lovely meal”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Visited here last night for a late dinner.
Was between about 5 Indian's as there is so much choice, but glad we picked here!
The staff seemed slightly shy but were attentive and quick.
We were welcomed with poppadoms and a pickle tray which was lovely.
For starter, I had onion bhaji's which were fresh and tasty. My partner had the potato and pea cakes, which were also enjoyable. My only criticism would be that they decorated the plates beautifully with sauces but they were maybe a bit over powering. I would have preferred to have the sauce on the side to dip in, rather than the food placed on it. It did look lovely though, I just did not like the mix of two sauces.
For main I had a chicken bhuna and partner opted for the saag aloo, accompanied with rice and naan.
Very much enjoyed!!
Overall we were around £30 for 2 courses each and a drink. Not bad at all.
As we are still new to the city, we have so many new places to try but we would definitely recommend Gurkha and will return in the future.

1 Thank Lola H
“Tantalising!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I visited Gurkha with two of my friends for my birthday. Hopes were high, as others strongly recommended Gurkha. The restaurant is lovely, nicely decorated and very clean. As soon as you walk in you are welcomed, and your coat taken to a cloakroom if you wish (a nice touch, I thought!) You are given complimentary poppadums with four sauces, also an excellent touch to the overall experience. There is plenty to choose from on the menu, so everyone should find something they like! (Providing you enjoy Indian and Nepalese food). I had the chicken korma with plain naan... It was to die for! The chicken was tender and the korma sauce so creamy and delicious! I left feeling full and satisfied. Top marks, I'll be back for more.

• Visited April 2013