WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Edinburgh Lodges

Edinburgh Lodges
Ranked #5 of 6 Musselburgh B&B and Inns
Dartford
“Lovely place but hotel was a disappointment.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Edinburgh Lodges are located in the grounds of Carberry Tower Hotel, a very impressive period property. To stay at the hotel is expensive but the Edinburgh Lodges are a 1/4 of the price and you get full use of the hotel. We travelled as a group of family and friends for a wedding in a nearby castle and were looking forward to eating at the hotel after a long journey and to use the facilities. When we arrived we were told the hotel had exclusive use and we were not allowed to use any of the hotel's facilities or the bar, this exclusivity lasted until after breakfast the following day so we could not have a family breakfast together at the hotel either. The hotel should have told us about the exclusive use before we arrived but they failed to do so. It may be a good idea to phone the hotel to check this out for future guests of Edinburgh Lodges.
The accomodation is basic but clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had traveled up from Kent for a wedding so staying Thursday to Monday I have a young child 3 I had asked for a family room only to find that it was on the first floor of the lodges single mother with a 3 year old pushchair and suitcase up stairs not handy at all! When I went into the room I noticed the windows were very low and my daughter took an interest in them as they open fully! I went to ask for a room change as its very dangerous and could not risk it and not were available it was only that my uncle would swap with me. The rooms were small but clean a family room is more of a double and my parents had a double but should only of been a single, bed pushed against the wall with a sliver of a walk way to their bathroom which was a wet room! There was no fridge in a family room for babies milk/food and would of have to walk to the main house. you could hear everything everyone was doing not very sound proof at all. There was a couple of weddings on in the main house and it felt like we were not important no dinner available or breakfast in the morning they should be one or the other a wedding venue or hotel. The room was clean and tidy and most of the staff were helpful. Overall beautiful grounds but not child friendly at all! I would been much happier staying at the travel lodge down the road.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Starlalou

Travelers are raving about these Musselburgh hotels

Ely, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Tucked at the back of the rather grander location, the Lodges offer clean and warm basic accomodation. It reminded me a lot of going to conferences and staying in rooms, but that's not to say it wasn't lovely. We had a television and coffee making facilities and - most importantly in a snowy Scotland - it was really warm and comfortable! I'd recommend this really good value gem as an overnight bolt-hole to rest up and relax before continuing on a journey.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

We received a warm and hearty welcome from one of the friendliest receptionists I have come across during many travels! Thank you. The adjacent Carberry Tower castle was just amazing and we felt very welcome when we enjoyed a drink there.

Although the room with its en-suite was small, it was cosy and comfortable. The scenic location is amazing! I will definitely stay there again: it was so charming and excellent value for the money we paid.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed here for 1 Night when i was in Edinburgh and it was a really nice place. the rooms were cosy, clean and warm... the only downside was the bath.. it was rather small but managable.. you would need to have a car to get to this place as its a good 20 minute drive from the city centre. would love to stay there if i visited edinburgh on car..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bala K
Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Nice location,clean rooms but there would appear to be inadequate insulation between rooms above and to the side our our room no 4.
Able to listen clearly to conversations,arguments and bodily function noises from adjacent rooms?Attempted to order a pizza for a very hungry 5 year old and was advised that the wedding party had exclusive use of the kitchen and that I couldn't have a Pizza.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Mold, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Followed the signs for Edinburgh Lodges, arrived alone at this secluded location to find the door marked "Reception" locked and NO information about how to check in. Nothing on my booking confirmation either. Fortunately another guest came out and told me there is a large hotel further on so bundled the luggage back in the car and received a rather frosty welcome along with my key. Sadly the quiet night I was expecting was marred by a large party of kids making a horrendous din underneath me up until 11.pm! These annexes are not staffed - there are no phones, my mobile was on charge and the number of the main hotel was in my car - so I put up with it - even though I had to be away by 6 am the next day!!

Such a pity. The room was small but clean and modern and would have provided (I thought) a nice restful environment. Ah well - it was cheap enough - and I should have read the trip adviser reviews first about the lack of signage!!

Room Tip: Make sure you drive to the Carberry hotel to check in - and take ear plugs!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank S J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Musselburgh
Carberry Tower Mansion House and Estate
Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Musselburgh) Hotel
Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel
Travelodge Edinburgh Musselburgh
BEST WESTERN Kings Manor Hotel
Ravelston House
Ravelston House
#2 of 6 in Musselburgh

Been to Edinburgh Lodges? Share your experiences!