“Top Notch Accommodation and Helpful Owner”
Review of Arden Guest House

Arden Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Musselburgh
Arden Guest House
Ranked #3 of 5 Musselburgh B&B and Inns
Edinburgh
“Top Notch Accommodation and Helpful Owner”
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Owner Linda Conway was extremely helpful with all my queries. The room itself was spacious, and had a good view, affording plenty of daylight into the room. It was located right opposite the horse racing track, and easy to find. Aside from the racing, there are three excellent golf courses within easy reach. The former Open Championship venue Old Musselburgh - worthy of a game for history alone, and top quality parkland venues Monktonhall, and Royal Musselburgh.

I liked best my room, which although up two flights of stairs, was clean, spacious, nicely decorated, and contained good quality furniture. The price was also excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank safetyrazor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Last minute stay. Great few days. Edinburgh easy to get too and great bus route. Very clean and owners very nice and a great help for helping with things to do.

• Stayed December 2010
Gloucestershire
Reviewed September 11, 2010

On the positive side the room was clean, tidy and nicely decorated and furnished (although it didn't come close to matching the description provided on the web site). It was on the top floor, in the roof space and was very hot and stuffy. The extractor fan in the en-suite wasn't working and I couldn't lock the door to the en-suite. All window catches had been replaced with makeshift fiddly contraptions to prop open the windows. Luckily I was able to open the side windows but didn't manage to prop open the main window. The sockets for the TV and bedside lamp were switched off and not easily accessible. I had to move one of the beds to get to the socket for the lamp and had to grope around down the side of the chest of drawers to switch on the socket for the TV. Overall the provision of basic amenities was far inferior to that provided by accommodation with lower ratings - e.g. many places now provide tissues and a better selection of beverages.
I originally booked for two nights on the understanding that I'd booked a first floor room for myself and my 93 year old father so we only stayed one night as no first floor en-suites were available and it was unfair to expect my father to trail up so many stairs. My cousin, who lives nearby, had been round to Arden House immediately prior to me ringing up to make a booking; both my cousin and I had stressed that we needed a first floor en-suite as my father was 93. Linda, the owner insisted on charging me £20 for the unused night - more than justified if I'd been to blame for the booking mix up but totally unjustified as the error had been made by either Linda or her mother (who took the booking). Unfortunately Linda and I had a very unpleasant heated discussion about this when my father and I were leaving. With hindsight it would have been easier to graciously hand her £20 instead of finding out a few days later that, within 10 minutes of my leaving the building, she had used my credit card number to charge me the £20 (whilst I was still having a friendly chat on the doorstep with her lovely mother, Betty). Even though I had expressly stated that I wasn't going to give her any money other than the £70 for the one night, apparently Linda was legally entitled to use my credit card details (that I'd supplied when I made the booking) to take any monies that she felt were due. I've decided that it's not worth my time or expense to fight her for a £20 refund.
I contacted VisitScotland with my views including the comment "As Scottish Tourist Board awards 'focus on the standard of the welcome, hospitality and service they provide' I'm sure the owner's impersonal, uncaring attitude can't have contributed to Arden House having been awarded four stars!".
VisitScotland responded with "As Arden House is no longer a participant of the Quality Assurance schemes we will not have the opportunity to follow up your comments." VisitScotland obtained my permission to pass my comments to the owner and informed me that they had 'also forwarded a copy to the local Trading Standards Department for their records.'. It has taken a while but Arden House has at last removed the four star rating from their website.
I find it interesting that Arden House is no longer participating in the quality assurance scheme when Robert Conway, co-owner of Arden House and head of the East Lothian Tourism Forum was praised as he "... took on Arden House in 2005 and has since seen the establishment rise from a three-star to four-star rated property." (see http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/evening-news-edinburgh-scotland/mi_7832/is_2008_April_12/guesthouse-owner-tourism-head/ai_n35033807/).
Unfortunately our stay at Arden House was an unpleasant experience that marred an otherwise wonderful visit to Edinburgh for my father to meet his 90 year old cousin for the very first time. After a 350 mile journey from his home to Edinburgh it would have been so good to have received a warm friendly welcome from Linda instead of being told tersely that the only room available was on the top floor.

• Stayed May 2010
3 Thank respectandbehappy
ardenguesthouse, Owner at Arden Guest House, responded to this review, January 26, 2011
It is very disappointing that this guest did not enjoy her experience with us as many hundreds each year do as they come back time and time again. Without going into too much detail this guest had been offered a top floor room, which she fully inspected for her and her father and said that he may be old but was ok with all the stairs.( she was not forced to stay if too many stairs) At no time were any of the room issues raised, which i feel talk about another room in another place certainly not here. As for the deposit, it is fully explained in the terms of bookings( this might have not been an issue had the guest not left it until check out to say she was not staying another night.) At no time during this guests stay, was either myself or my mother rude or unpleasant to this guest or any other guest, the rudness was coming the other way. With regards to the withdrawal of Visit Scotland, this was due to the amount of repeat business we were getting along with the high costs of being a member, we no longer felt it necessary to be a member( along with most other accommodation providers in Musselburgh we all withdrew in2010. I do hope that this goes someway to clear up any questions anyone would have about staying with me and would welcome any enquiries that arise from this guests comments.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2010

With a Party of 12 we booked into Arden House from the 6th August 2010 until 8th August 2010 to visit the Edinburgh Tattoo. Having a short stay previously with Travel Lodge in the City itself.
We failed to get another Booking in the City and we were unsure of the Distance to the Tattoo and the accomodation itself !
We were so glad we didn,t get a City Booking as Arden House was Brilliant !
We could not have been looked after any better in a Five Star Hotel !
The Rooms were clean and well laid out.The Breakfast was well presented and more than enough for what we paid.The Staff were welcoming and always there to help.
The Men Folk in our Party were delighted to watch the Horse Racing straight opposite our Windows.
We often travel to various Hotels ect on trips with the Veterans of the Northumberland Fusiliers,
( our Husbands are Ex-Fusiliers) We can Highly Recommend Arden House.
Regular Bus Service just outside ,so no need to use our cars.
We will most certainly return again to Arden House when visiting Edinburgh.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank butben
Alnwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2008

There is some confusion here in some of the preceding reviews. There seem to be 2 Arden Guest Houses - one in Edinburgh and one in MUSSELBUGH east of Edinburgh. The photograph at the top is the Edinburgh address. The Musselburgh house is a large Victorian stone property facing the racecourse and is called Arden House B&B. We stayed at that one.

My wife and I had booked a twin room back in April so we could attend concerts at the Edinburgh Festival. Our room was on the second floor and had semi-circular turret windows. There was a separate bathroom. The breakfast was adequate with good choice although no sausage with the cooked breakfast. No serviettes on our table but were supplied when asked for. The toast arrived burnt on our first day and when this was pointed out I had to actually ask for replacement.

When we arrived back late after our concert using the somewhat erratic bus service, we found that although our room had been tidied, there was no milk on the refreshment tray and our door was ajar and not locked. Clearly the proprietors need to give more attention to detail and then it will be a first class B&B. We had to pay as soon as we arrived. The advice from the proprietor regarding the local bus service was very misleading as we later discovered.

• Liked — The views from our second foor window were extensive
  • Disliked — seemed to be too many rules. Lack of attention to detail.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Peter2305
NC, USA
Reviewed September 13, 2007

Arden Guest House is in Musselburgh overlooking the race course and the Musselburgh Links - the oldest in the world. Linda, Robert and Betty (Linda's mother) were very hospitable and helpful. Our oversized room w/kingsize bed was lovely. Breakfast was also very good. You can arrange to be picked up from the Walyford station (which is closer to them than Musselburgh station). There are buses to Edinburgh that go right past the door, however there's a much better service from outside the police station on the main street - 10-15 minutes walk. Musselburgh is a nice little town with pretty riverside walks and great ice cream. One downside - the 2.75% credit card fee is passed on to you so if you can pay with cash, you'll save yourself a little money.

3 Thank Roscoe85
Also consider these accommodations in or near Musselburgh
Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Musselburgh) Hotel
Travelodge Edinburgh Musselburgh
Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Newcraighall) Hotel
Carberry Tower Mansion House and Estate
Best Western Kings Manor Hotel
Premier Inn Edinburgh East Hotel

Been to Arden Guest House? Share your experiences!