“Funeral Buffet”
Review of The Quay

The Quay
Reserve with OpenTable
The Quay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 56 Restaurants in Musselburgh
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Whether your tipple is a specialist tea, ARTISAN coffee or a delicious COCKTAIL, The QUAY - FRISCO BAY is the perfect place to dine. With a wide range of menu options available to suit all the family, and pricing to suit every budget, you're sure to find something to tickle your tastebuds! A set LUNCH menu is available between 12pm & 4:30pm Monday to Friday with favourites like FISH & CHIPS and Macaroni Cheese and High Teas are served every afternoon. From 5pm, a delicious A la carte Menu including FAVOURITES like Traditional Steak Pie, Pizza, Pasta and mouthwatering STEAKS is available. The Quay was always well known for it's INDIAN cuisine so for those who like it HOT, The Wee Curry Menu will be irresistible! Another exciting addition is The BURGER Den which serves handmade burgers, Hot Dogs & Milk Shakes and we have also introduced an Ice Cream and SUNDAE PARLOUR serving the best quality Ice Cream. No doubt this will be popular with both adults and kids alike. A weekend BRUNCH menu along with a weekend ROAST has been put on for those who like long lazy weekends by the HARBOUR. We look forward to welcoming you soon...
“Funeral Buffet”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

On 25th November Myself and my wife attended a pre - booked buffet after my wife's mothers funeral. We arrived at 10.50am and were directed to a function room upstairs. No-one was there to receive us. At about 11.00am a waitress appeared and took orders for drinks. The buffet did not appear until 11.40am. A tray with small assorted mini rolls were very cold and icy, obviously straight from the fridge. A tray of warm undercooked sausage rolls crisp on top but "soggy" underneath also appeared. A tray of very large plain scones which in my opinion were totally unsuitable for a buffet along with individual portions of butter and jam. Another tray of assorted cakes which did not seem to by very fresh. The coffee and tea were provided in vacuum jugs which were already made up before our arrival. The owners should be ashamed to serve up food like this.

Visited November 2013
13 Thank Douglas L
ArunQuay, General Manager at The Quay, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
We cater for almost 200 funerals every year and welcome customer feedback to allow us to continue to improve our service. The Quay is very much a local business and through “word of mouth,” the business has continued to grow steadily through the recession. In fact, on the day that we catered for your funeral, we also catered for two other funerals that were served the exact same menu and we received no complaints from either party.
I will address each point of your complaint. Firstly, even though you arrived 10 minutes early (which can happen) a waitress (Laura) was waiting to greet your guests in the suite.
On arrival, your guests were offered a choice of drinks from the bar and this was served. The supervisor (Bryan) then asked you if you were ready for the buffet and you said yes and this was then brought out within a few minutes.

As normal, Tea and Coffee were provided in vacuum jugs which are manufactured for that very purpose (I have no idea how else this would be served as this is normal practice in all establishments when serving large groups) and ensure the drinks are hot. The reason coffee is ready on arrival is because some guests don’t want cold or alcoholic drinks at 11am so they go straight for the tea/coffee and they can have as many cups as they like.
You say you were served large plain scones with individual portions of butter and jam. Again, I am not sure what the complaint is as you knew that these were on the menu when you booked and we serve them at every funeral. Is the complaint that they were too large?
The cakes and rolls served to you were fresh as they were bought in that very morning.
The mini rolls are made up that morning and kept in a chilled environment for freshness.
The sausage rolls were served fresh from the oven and while I accept that when the chef removed them from the baking tray the bottom crust stuck to the tray, they were still thoroughly cooked.
Although you say you are not happy with the food, the duty manager is puzzled as he has confirmed that guests actually took food away as there was plenty left due to the fact that you expected and catered for more that actually arrived
When paying the bill, your wife was asked if she was happy with everything and she confirmed that she was and even had time to chat with our bar staff.
Once again, thank you very much for the feedback.

Edinburgh
“Fantastic evening”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My partner and I went to the Quay on Sunday evening (24th) to celebrate my birthday. We like to try new places and as the Quay is practically door to door on the bus we thought we'd give it a go. Waiting staff were very attentive and the selection of food was amazing. My partner likes Indian food whereas I prefer Chinese so both of our tastes were catered for and it's nice to be able to try different things and then go back for a bigger portion of something you like.

Will we be back - YES!

1 Thank Bluebird18
ArunQuay, Manager at The Quay, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
We are so happy that you enjoyed your birthday at The World Banquet. Thank you for your lovely review I will pass on your comments to the staff.

Our christmas buffet menu starts on the 6th of December so please do come again and try our festive dishes.

Look forward to welcoming you again
Dunbar, United Kingdom
“Superb, superb, superb.”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Firstly what a warm welcome, as soon as we arrived we were made to feel comfortable, we were shown to our table had our drinks order taken and were given a guided tour of all the food stations.
The choice of cuisine was wide and varied, something for everyone here, there were three of us and we all had different meals, we were all impressed with the quality, I would have tried even more dishes if I wasn't already full, I particularilly enjoyed the steak pie.
No reason to go all the way into Edinburgh for a buffet when you can go to the Quay.

ArunQuay, Manager at The Quay, responded to this review, December 2, 2013

we look forward to welcoming you again
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Go to Cosmo - this is atrocious”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Came here for the Sunday buffet with a group of 7 friends - was gravely disappointed.

I would definitely advise not going all the way out to Musselburgh for this - the food was limited, lukewarm and badly cooked. Greasy, weird tasting and not enjoyable.

It was one of those situations where I walked into their buffet kitchen and instantly felt "I don't want to be here". The feeling was the same amongst all of us.

Having been to Cosmo at the Omni center and seeing all of the variations they have, the atmosphere they have, this was always going to be a disappointment.

The restaurant must have been a quarter full (a sign in itself as this was their special price day) and there were more staff than there were customers. Similar to previous reviews, I would agree that the table service was very good. The waiters were attentive and always nearby - this may have been because we came with 7 lads and they thought we were going to do a runner though. There were waitresses, but it was only the male waiters that were waiting on our table - not the best way to get a tip if you ask me!

The food was worse than any buffet I've been to. Seriously low grade. A few of us felt ill after we left, but this may just be because of the thought of what we had eaten. People talk abo0ut the steak pie? I avoided it due to the way it looked. These guys really need to work on their presentation.

The curries were tasteless too. The only thing I vaguely enjoyed was their daal which is probably the easiest one to do right.

Overall, I think the most offputting thing was their presentation. If you have been to Cosmo and then you go to the Quay, you will see what I mean. This is like some run-down diner just outside an airport that used to be frequently used, but for which flights to and from dried up, so the diner became unused and unimportant.

I liken my experience here to when I went to see the Lion King a couple of weeks ago at the Playhouse in Leith. I had watched the original movie the night before which ruined my experience in the theater. This is the same as going to Cosmo one week and then looking for another good buffet and ending up at The Quay.

12 Thank J2705
“Great...will be back.”
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

After living in this area for 20 years there was nothing inviting about The Quay until the current owners took over. I have been to and held a couple of functions here since they took over all were very well organised and great times were had by all. i finally got around to trying the world banquet and i was not disappointed. the service was efficient and friendly. the staff were where you needed them at the right times not overbearing like some. There was such a large choice of foods it would be difficult to list them all. but i can say i have a big appetite and tried some of mostly everything. There was nothing i didnt enjoy. my fav from the starters were the bombay potatoes and sesame prawn toast though. My fav from the mains was the spicy chicken curry and teriyaki dish. All the meat and fish that i tried were fresh and hot. The desserts were amazing. Lots of different mini tray bakes type items, a couple of cakes, apple crumble, hot custard, ice cream machine and as many toppings as you can imagine. At the moment they have an offer on so we paid £9.99 per head but it wouldn't bother me paying a few pounds extra. I cant believe the petty moanings of some of the reviewers on here trying going to a restaurant where u pay £10 for a tiny bland main course!!! Well done The Quay. Keep up the good work.

1 Thank Saw2009
ArunQuay, Manager at The Quay, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review, its nice to know that you have given us your support over the last 6 and a half years not only within our restauants but in function suites also.

Again thank you so much for your words of encouragement it helps to keep all the staff motivated. We hope to see you for many more meals and functions

Look forward to welcoming you again