“Well worth taking a wee detour off the busy A1 for lunch or dinner!”

Linton Hotel & Steak House
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Traditional village inn with a cosy country bar and traditional steakhouse Our menus offer all homemade produce, enjoy local produce offered from local suppliers. Stunning beer garden and Lovely steak restaurant mixed with the best fish and vegetables east Lothian has on offer local is our thing .
Dunbar, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Well worth taking a wee detour off the busy A1 for lunch or dinner!”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Sitting between Dunbar and Haddington on what used to be the A1 many moons ago you'll come to a small village called East Linton. Pretty much half way through between the railway and river bridges you'll see the Linton Hotel. Sitting at the bar, the inner dining room or head up the stairs to the lovely garden you can sample some pretty tasty dishes. After the starter my comment to the very pleasant waitress was "Please don't sack the Chef" because that's what really makes this place well worth taking the time to find. We all left clean plates for each course! If I had to be picky I'd say please put some sun shades or something at the tables in the garden because I felt like a cooked chicken by the end of the meal. It was very sunny and very hot out in the full glare of the glorious day. I probably would have stayed a lot longer and had another refreshment if I hadn't been done to a turn! :) However, it's a small point that would be easily rectified. Well done to the two charming young ladies who served us - efficient and pleasant staff. Will definitely be going back there!

• Visited June 2014

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Lunch at The Linton”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

After a long walk we stopped by chance at The Linton for lunch. The staff were friendly and we ate in the bar area. There were nice wooden games to keep my two young boys amused, and when the food did come it was very good and plentiful. The children's fish goujons were proper fish pieces. Good value for money too.

• Visited May 2014
Musselburgh, United Kingdom
“Decent food, will return”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Visited with house guests who were treating us to dinner at our recommendation. Have eaten here before so knew the food was good. I passed on a starter but the monk fish and terrine were pronounced amazing. Two of us had the Sunday roast. Personally the roast potatoes and Yorkshire pud were a bit of a let down. Neither were very crispy and I've had better in a bog standard carvery. Lack of gravy towards the end meant my meat was dry. I'd have asked for more but the waiting staff were thin on the ground. No complaints from the fish and chips or other beef dish (can't recall what exactly and can't find it on their online menu) eaters. Puddings all round were good but slightly spoiled by having to look at our main course plates for what must have been at least a half an hour.

So, yes the food is pretty good, but could do better, and the service a bit lacking, but we will definitely go back.

• Visited May 2014
“Very enjoyable meal”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I visited this restaurant with friends for an evening meal and although we have been there several times before, our friends had not. Two of us had the Haggis started which was very good and the Sea Bass and Feather blade of beef were excellent. We all enjoyed our food which was served hot and well presented in generous portions. The staff were warm, friendly and very attentive and our friends were very impressed with their first visit to The Linton.

• Visited March 2014
infolinton, Owner at Linton Hotel & Steak House, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your comments on your experience with us.

I am delighted that the hard work and training is now showing for all customers. Hopefully we can only go from strength to strength.

See you again soon.
edinburgh
“careless food”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

a very patchy Sunday lunch, good leek and potato soup, an awful tasting fishcake with cheese, why do that? massively over cooked monkfish and mullet ,we didn't stay for pud

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank jsbEdinburgh
I think its honest enough to say that Sunday 16th February was NOT a good day by any means.

In all honesty I think that your review is justified to some extent - my biggest regret was that I took the day off and the staff just could not cope with the amount of customers and a certain amount of inexperience on their part.

I thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion as I was not here its ALWAYS helpful to know whats going on and on this occassion we just didn't do you justice. Suffice to say training is inplace and more supervision ongoing for all staff concerned.

Hopefully if you pass by again you will see a better improved service and food quality.