“Nice place for tea and cake”

Smeaton Nursery Gardens and Tea Shop
Cuisines: British
Description: Lovely old fashioned plant nursery - beautiful plants, no gift shop - and wonderful tea shop housed in former greenhouses. Serves coffee, tea, lunch and fabulous cakes.
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have visited Smeaton a few times. It is an interesting garden centre in a lovely setting with a good selection of plants.

The tea room at the bottom of the garden is a nice place to stop off for tea or coffee. The cakes and scones are home made and anything I have had there has been good quality and enjoyable. The staff, both young and more mature, are helpful and friendly whether the place is quiet or busy. In the summertime it is lovely to enjoy your afternoon tea outside at one of the tables but when the weather is not so good it is warm and pleasant inside.

5  Thank Edingirl

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Always make it a priority to stop in at Smeaton,mostly when down visiting at Tyninghame.Excellent selection of healthy plants in the garden centre,where I have spent a few worthwhile pounds over the years!...followed by the usual wee walk down to the delightful tea room, where homemade soup and cake followed by a pot of tea really rounds of the day.Great setting whatever the season and the staff are friendly and helpful,even when this place is bursting full on most weekends when I visit.

7  Thank ComfortDog
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I am a regular visitor to this lovely, cosy tea shop. The staff are friendly and efficient and the food is always delicious. In the summertime it can be very relaxing sitting outside in the garden area as you are out in the countryside, completely removed from any traffic noise.
Over the last few years I have been for lunch, morning and afternoon coffees with family and friends. We have always had an enjoyable time and friends that I've taken for the first time have loved it.
I would definitely recommend this little jewel to everyone!

5  Thank CaroP30
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

Dropped in here with friends on my way back from Tyninghame Beach.

All very promising for a start. Nice location, log burner crackling away as you enter the front door etc etc. They'd stopped serving lunch by this point, but the cakes and scones looked appetising enough.

We ordered four hot drinks, three cakes and a scone.

I'd imagine the wait for a replacement kidney is no more agonising than the wait we had for the above items. I noticed several other tables get up and leave before their order was taken or before their food arrived.

If you're in the twilight of your life and have time to waste, then by all means, drop by. If like me, your time is precious, then drive by.

Young, inexperienced staff making like way more complicated than it need be.

4  Thank ChiefWigham
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Had high hopes for this after passing time & time again whilst on my way to the Tyne " Fishing " , so decided its about time the family & I gave it a go . On reflection I wished we'd just carried on our way , on arrival you are greeted with a gorgeous walled garden which & I can imagine it would be stunning in the spring/summer months . Found the tea shop hidden at the bottom walked in to see some tasty cakes awaiting our taste buds , but alas this wasn't to be .
The shop wasn't busy so picked out a nice table , got ourselves settled & waited , waited , waited & WAITED ! Decided to visit the counter & ask if we order at the counter or is there table service . To which I got no reply just a finger pointing out a sign " table service " .

20 minutes wasted ! Up & left ! With not as much as a question to why ? From the young & inexperienced staff .

I will now take great delight that they will never every enjoy a penny of our hard earned cash & make ever endeavour to point future custom in the other direction .

So please people avoid & take your family somewhere that appreciates your business .

4  Thank johnboy71