“Second time round.”

The Linton Hotel & Steakhouse
Ranked #1 of 2 East Linton B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was the second time I have stayed at the Linton and it was just as good as the first time. I requested a packed lunch instead of my breakfast and the food in the lunch was great. I was in the same room as last time and the bed is still very comfy and the in room facilities were very good.
I have no problem recommending this hotel to anyone visiting this area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 186565Tom

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I purchased a B&B package for me and my husband from 5pm.co.uk as an anniversary night away so the value was excellent. We received a warm and friendly welcome and our little dog Dolly was made to feel very welcome. As promised a bottle of prosecco was waiting for us which we took out in to the lovely walled garden. Our meal in the evening was delicious although we were a little bit disappointed with the wine list as we would have liked a bottle of Italian red however that's down to personal taste. The restaurant is welcoming and very pretty. Try one of the lovely cupcakes which are made by a local boy. Delicious. We had a few drinks in the bar (where Dolly joined us). Again everyone was extremely friendly at made us feel welcome. Dolly was the centre of attention which she loved and her tail must be tired with the amount of wagging. I have to agree with the other review about the bathroom. The toilet seat didn't stay up which was a bit annoying and the shower wasn't very good. On the whole though this didn't take away from our stay. The room was small but very comfortable. A delicious breakfast in the morning with cereals, fresh fruit and a great fried breakfast. Superb bacon! I would definitely recommend Linton Hotel as a nice little getaway from it all.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Firstly the staff are great and the food was nice, however the menu is quite limited and very very overpriced.
The room was tiny, the decor was tried and very badly done.
The bed was old and far too soft, the shower room was dirty and very dated. The toilet seat would not stay up and very uncomfortable to have the unhygienic seat resting on your back while i used the toilet.
The shower is a joke, the shower head was dirty and was like a watering can being dribbled over you.
The breakfast was ok but cheap produce was used.
Would pop in for a pint if I was passing but would never stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank EdinburghFoodie100
infolinton, General Manager at The Linton Hotel & Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

I am truly saddened by your comments in regards to your stay with us this weekend. Whilst I understand that the reason for your interest in us was purely one given via an Internet offer it has given us a great deal to consider, my wish is only that I had had the opportunity to discuss your criticisms in person prior to you departing the hotel. I would however like to respond to some of the comments made.
The Linton was built in the early 1700's and as such we have to work within the confines of the building in creating a more modern accommodation for today's guests, as such the rooms are all individual in both size and decor. Granted our furniture is older in style but is also a bit more in keeping with the age of the building. I have spent some time reviewing all elements of your comments within the room and have taken on board all of them. You will note from some other responses that the upgrade of the showers is in hand and we now hope to have this completed within the next few weeks. I have already changed the toilet seat you mention (regrettably no other guest has taken the time to comment on this unfortunate situation). The shower head was only replaced three weeks ago along with the rail and hose , this is something we do as a matter of routine. The bed was replaced 2 months ago and is a new 10inch orthopaedic mattress with boxed valanced base. I am sorry that you thought it soft. - I shall of course continue to strive to ensure that all comments are dealt with as quickly as possible.

In response to your critiscm of the menus - I have to defend this more so - for potential guests who read this response we offer a choice of 7 starters, 8 main courses and 7 desserts in addition to 2 sometimes 3 special dishes for lunch or dinner. Or food is freshly cooked and created daily by our chefs using local fresh produce nothing is bought in frozen or pre made elsewhere. The menu pricing is in line with many of our competitors with starters ranging in price from £3.95 to £6.25 and average around £5.55, main course are all priced well under £14 with only steak being offered above this.

Breakfast offers a range of fresh fruits, breakfast fruits, nuts, melon, berries and creme fraiche in addition to individual cereals and are all of a high standard. Our cooked breakfast is made to order using local produce, we also serve a basket of toasted breads, and fresh warm pastries - I'm sorry this did not meet with your preferences for breakfast but I think that what we offer is far more than is required of a 3 star establishment.

I am sorry that we have failed to meet your expectations on the many levels you have mentioned but I also thank you for taking the time to point out our mistakes and where we might improve for future guests.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Lovely setting in gorgeous small village. Lovey garden and characterful bar. Meal was on whole good but not the best, service excellent and very good wine list. Room was bit tight space wise , but quirky. Really poor shower, barely any water! Plus very noisy plumbing that kept us awake.
Overall great hotel for a one nighg stay

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
infolinton, General Manager at The Linton Hotel & Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to send your review. As a small village inn it is a bit frustrating that some of our rooms are on the small side and hence the reason to make them all individual in style.
You will see from various other reviews replies that we are in the process of upgrading and the showers are a priority in addition to a new bluer system - we hope to have this all done in the next few months.
Glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We'd eaten in Haldanes when they were located in Edinburgh & enjoyed it so when we saw a deal through 5pm we decided to treat ourselves to a meal & overnight stay.
Everything was lovely! Do not agree with previous review about the decor - it is very stylish & tasteful.
Dinner & breakfast was excellent!
Perhaps a DBB option next time will entice us back!!
Thanks to all at The Linton.

Room Tip: We had room 1 which was at the top of the house overlooking the garden - lovely & quiet!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to send your review. Thank you for your kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Room 1 has just be refurbished and is how we hope all rooms will be in time. I'm glad you enjoyed dinner and yes I will think about offering a DBB rate from next year on.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed over for a wedding nearby.The hotel staff were very welcoming and allowed us to access room early to allow us to change.The room was good size and very comfortable.Breakfast was excellent,great selection,cooked to order and served by friendly and cheery staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
infolinton, General Manager at The Linton Hotel & Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Many thanks for your very kind comments - perhaps not many weddings to attend in this area but you know where we are for a wee break.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed for a quick stopover on a business trip, the Linton staff were very great & efficient on arrival. The bar is well stocked with a great selection of beers & whisky! Room & breakfast were great. The only downside was the shower in our room was broken and dripped constantly through the night.

• Stayed: September 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to review. We are always so pleased when guests take the time to offer their comments. Just to confirm "Shower fixed thankfully " - the noise of the pump going off was enough to wake the house" :-)

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Linton
Greywalls Hotel & Chez Roux
Ducks Inn
Ducks Inn
#1 of 1 in Aberlady

Been to The Linton Hotel & Steakhouse? Share your experiences!