“Disastrous”
Review of Ducks Inn

Ducks Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aberlady
Reviewed May 25, 2013

A friend and I tried this place for the first time today and we will never go back.
We chose to sit outside as we each had our dog. My son and his friend were ravenous after a day at the beach.
The bad impression started when we walked in. Neither of the 2 staff standing at reception greeted us. I had to ask if we could order meals to take outside. We were told we had to order at the bar.
On approaching the bar, staff were fairly busy however nobody thought to smile or say 'I'll be with you in a minute'. Again nobody greeted us and I had to wait 5minutes to ask for the menu which was not on display. We ordered drinks then took menus out to ask the boys what they wanted. We were told we could start a tab and did not have to pay for drinks at this point. We placed our food order at the bar. Soon after a man came out and said we couldn't have a tab and would have to pay up front. I duly went back in and paid for the drinks and food at the bar. I thought our order had gone through as a waiter at the bar recognised the order I was paying for. My son went in to ask for a jug of water for the table. It never arrived. We waited 25 minutes and no food had arrived. It was only burgers and fishcakes and the restaurant was not busy. After 10 more minutes I went to the bar to enquire. I explained we were in a hurry to get back to Edinburgh. After a further 5mins, the staff member came back. He did not offer any information. When I asked if he knew of any progress, he said the order hadn't gone through! Meantime, the owner had spoken to my friend outside and offered free drinks but it was too little too late. I asked for my money back and was repaid for the food. No apologies were given. Considering the bad service I think we should have been refunded for the soft drinks too.
The whole place seemed much more geared to keeping golfers in drink than providing a pleasant atmosphere for families and friends to have a meal in. The golfers are welcome to it.

Stayed: May 2013
6  Thank Elizabeth M
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

I spoke to no one about this as is claimed by the writer, no one on my staff seems to know about this incident and they all pass feed back to me very fast. If the kitchen is under too much pressure with walk in business we stop taking tables for a while to preserve quality and make sure bookings are looked after. There is an area for dogs inside so no need to have to sit out. We have out side tables at the rear which is where we encourage folk to eat so we can give them table service, we try to limit the front to drinks and nibbles which have to be paid for at the bar because so many leave with out paying. If we have to use the front for food we have a member of staff allocated to it giving table service.
It has been a very busy week with the US Kids Open on in the area but we did adjust the menu for speedy delivery and upped the staffing levels.

I am very happy to hear from the reviewer directly, most who write this sort of thing do so anonymously sadly which befits no one.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at Ducks for one night over the May weekend holiday, received a very friendly welcome at check-in, and room was lovely with good facilities. We were not sure If we were going to dine @ Ducks restaurant, but very glad that we did!. The food was to die for, 10/10. Ducks fine dining restaurant is quite unique, it delivers all the quality you would expect from fine dining, but without the stuffiness or pretentiousness that sometimes goes alongside this. I loved the character and intimate ambiance of the restaurant, the service was very professional and attentive with out being intrusive. The cosy bar area is well stocked, again staff are very professional and pour a great Guinness. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and hope to return one day to see Mr Duck and his fabulous flock.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vesper_9
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

'10/10. Ducks fine dining restaurant is quite unique' Thank you very much for you very kind words and for taking the time to write. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the staff very much appreciate your comments. Though young they are a very good team.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

A clean well appointed establishment which maintains its high standards. Meals can be taken in the restaurant or bistro, both of which offer an imaginative choice of delicious and well presented meals. The hotel staff are friendly and courteous . The choice of malt whiskies in the bar would delight a connoisseur! I can thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Book early as the hotel is very popular. Honeymoon suite is very comfortable.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for recommending Ducks at Kilspindie, I am glad you enjoyed our malt whiskys and Ducks Restaurant and Donald's Bistro, both have there own Trip Adviser sites. We are very much a restaurant with rooms so the focus is on service, Ducks, Donald's and the bar. We work hard at the rooms and they are very clean and tidy with free wifi and free view tellys.

Thank you very much for your kind words and taking the time to write.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed at the hotel whilst taking part in the four-day Links Golf Cup. Lovely, clean, comfortable room, with excellent breakfast. The staff were brilliant - very helpful, friendly and efficient. Unfortunately the weather wasn't as good, but couldn't detract from the wonderful coastal scenery. Would recommend without hesitation. Will hopefully be back next year. John and Chris Freeman

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write, the weather was a bit miserable! To think this time last year we were in short sleeved shirts sitting outside. We very much enjoyed having you with us and in spite of the weather the tournament was great fun and played in good spirit. Thanks again for coming and I hope we see you soon.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We had a three day golfing trip with friends last week. A warm welcome greeted us from Fiona on our arrival. This is a perfect location for golfers who want a clean friendly place to stay. Due to changing weather Fiona made several phone calls to book tee times to check which courses were open. We ate in the bistro from a wide and varied menu which can be thoroughly recommended. Overall a very pleasant experience which I will repeat and pass on to fellow golfers.

1  Thank Philipryder
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind words and for taking the time to write. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us, sorry about the weather, it is normally very dependable but the past fortnight has been awful. With a bit of luck the bad stuff has all come at once and is out of the way. The golf courses are always very helpful to us in times of bad weather which is tremendous because together we have a better chance of making your stay more enjoyable. Look forward to seeing you next time.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

For one of our friends, this was his 25th consecutive biennial visit ( for the rugby international), and I have been coming here for many years. As ever, we received the warmest of welcomes from Malcolm (the owner) and his wife, Fiona; and from Ros. The staff go far beyond the call of duty in being friendly and welcoming. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. we look forward to returning in two years' time!

Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write and for your very kind words. We very much enjoyed having you with us and look forward to seeing you in two years time. Thank you very much for filling in the feed back form in your room and for sharing your thoughts of what you like and don't like with us. This kind of feed back has helped us make many of the positive changes we have made over the past few years. Thanks again.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

,The weekend was very enjoyable my husband made this his 25th visit over 50 years, and I have joined him for the last 4 visits .Our room was lovely, the hotel was clean and fresh , the decorations were bright and interesting, the bar , Bistro and dinning rooms were friendly , tasteful and enjoyable . We found Mr Duck and all his staff helpful, even to the extent of joining in our celebrations after the rugby match .We ate in the Bistro and enjoyed tasty meals with a good choice , specials as well as the menu each night .The breakfast was again of good quality and you could request changes to the menu .Our group of friends enjoyed a good selection of wines and beers each evening. We have no hesitation in recommending the Kilspindie Houseand very much look forward to our next visit .

Room Tip: Quiet area so all rooms good.
1  Thank Elizabeth M
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

50 years not out!!! A remarkable achievement, well done, I am glad you enjoyed the weekend's proceedings and that you got to the game. I have not heard the piece on BBC Wales but I will get it from Brian. It was very interesting to hear about the place over the the last 50 years and I am very glad you appreciate the changes we have made since 2004. We can get too close to it all and let it become too personal, its great to have some one like you who has been consistently every two years and can see the changes. Honest feed back is so important. Congratulations on a great win in Cardiff, the Welsh team were fantastic, England played well and made a fantastic contribution to one of the best games I have seen in a long time. Thanks for coming and taking time to write.

Malcolm

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberlady
Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa
Carberry Tower Mansion House and Estate
Bayswell Park Hotel
Bayswell Park Hotel
#2 of 3 in Dunbar

Been to Ducks Inn? Share your experiences!