“First-class Accommodation!”
Review of Ducks Inn

Ducks Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aberlady
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed at the hotel whilst taking part in the four-day Links Golf Cup. Lovely, clean, comfortable room, with excellent breakfast. The staff were brilliant - very helpful, friendly and efficient. Unfortunately the weather wasn't as good, but couldn't detract from the wonderful coastal scenery. Would recommend without hesitation. Will hopefully be back next year. John and Chris Freeman

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write, the weather was a bit miserable! To think this time last year we were in short sleeved shirts sitting outside. We very much enjoyed having you with us and in spite of the weather the tournament was great fun and played in good spirit. Thanks again for coming and I hope we see you soon.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We had a three day golfing trip with friends last week. A warm welcome greeted us from Fiona on our arrival. This is a perfect location for golfers who want a clean friendly place to stay. Due to changing weather Fiona made several phone calls to book tee times to check which courses were open. We ate in the bistro from a wide and varied menu which can be thoroughly recommended. Overall a very pleasant experience which I will repeat and pass on to fellow golfers.

1  Thank Philipryder
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind words and for taking the time to write. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us, sorry about the weather, it is normally very dependable but the past fortnight has been awful. With a bit of luck the bad stuff has all come at once and is out of the way. The golf courses are always very helpful to us in times of bad weather which is tremendous because together we have a better chance of making your stay more enjoyable. Look forward to seeing you next time.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

For one of our friends, this was his 25th consecutive biennial visit ( for the rugby international), and I have been coming here for many years. As ever, we received the warmest of welcomes from Malcolm (the owner) and his wife, Fiona; and from Ros. The staff go far beyond the call of duty in being friendly and welcoming. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. we look forward to returning in two years' time!

Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write and for your very kind words. We very much enjoyed having you with us and look forward to seeing you in two years time. Thank you very much for filling in the feed back form in your room and for sharing your thoughts of what you like and don't like with us. This kind of feed back has helped us make many of the positive changes we have made over the past few years. Thanks again.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

,The weekend was very enjoyable my husband made this his 25th visit over 50 years, and I have joined him for the last 4 visits .Our room was lovely, the hotel was clean and fresh , the decorations were bright and interesting, the bar , Bistro and dinning rooms were friendly , tasteful and enjoyable . We found Mr Duck and all his staff helpful, even to the extent of joining in our celebrations after the rugby match .We ate in the Bistro and enjoyed tasty meals with a good choice , specials as well as the menu each night .The breakfast was again of good quality and you could request changes to the menu .Our group of friends enjoyed a good selection of wines and beers each evening. We have no hesitation in recommending the Kilspindie Houseand very much look forward to our next visit .

Room Tip: Quiet area so all rooms good.
1  Thank Elizabeth M
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

50 years not out!!! A remarkable achievement, well done, I am glad you enjoyed the weekend's proceedings and that you got to the game. I have not heard the piece on BBC Wales but I will get it from Brian. It was very interesting to hear about the place over the the last 50 years and I am very glad you appreciate the changes we have made since 2004. We can get too close to it all and let it become too personal, its great to have some one like you who has been consistently every two years and can see the changes. Honest feed back is so important. Congratulations on a great win in Cardiff, the Welsh team were fantastic, England played well and made a fantastic contribution to one of the best games I have seen in a long time. Thanks for coming and taking time to write.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

The rooms are very poor and in dire need of an update, infact the entire "hotel" needs freshening up. I suggest the owner flogs some of his wine cellar to fund any refurbishment. Who on earth is ever going to spend £3000 on a bottle of wine in the restaurant? Perhaps he's hoping the winner of this year's Open, at near by Muirfield, will drop by!

The attached pub is fine and serves good beer and average pub grub. The burger is OK, however, I'd advise against the fish cake, which should be renamed a potato cake due to the distinct lack of fish.

Breakfast is poor and reminds me of the kind served in small hotels 30 years ago. Infact, I think that's the problem with Ducks - it's stuck in 1983 charging 2013 prices.

4  Thank willblackett
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

We are a Restaurant with Rooms not a hotel and don't claim to be. Thank you very much for your advice. Who is going to spend £3000 on a bottle of wine? Some one who knows what they are taking about! We sell more than you might think an have lots of wine below £30.

Same old request from me, please tell us if you are unhappy when you are with us or at least fill in the comments card in the bill folder or in the room. There is little we can do or learn from anonymous reviews such as this. I hope you do appreciate your impact on staff moral.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I tend to stay on business at the Ducks and prefer to stay here rather than anywhere else. I have always found this hotel very comfortable, clean and friendly. The food is excellent provided by the new chef and there is a good selection of Beers, Wines and Whiskies Very friendly owner and staff who make you feel very welcome. Overall I cannot fault The Ducks, its a great place to stay for business and also holidays, as I have promised to take my wife in the near future. I would highly recommend you stay here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you very much for your very kind words and for being so appreciative of the staffs efforts, look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The rooms are ok but I would have been disappointed if I had paid the rack rate. At check in we looked at the menu for both the restaurant and the bistro to see which one we would book; we were really unsure but finally opted for the bistro. When we arrived at the bistro for our reservation we were told that the food would be served in the bar as there was a function in the bistro - if we had been told this at check in we would have chosen the restaurant as the bar is the least pleasing part of the whole hotel - it is quite dark and very much a bar. We were told to sit at a table near the bar and we would be taken to another seat to eat. A waitress came up and asked us what we wanted and we ordered a bottle of wine. We then sat for ages during which time the bottle of wine that we had ordered was sent to the table that we were eating at and we were left sitting there. The worst thing about this was the conversation that the owner and a member of the bar staff had about the wine that we had ordered. Oblivious to the fact that the wine was for us and that we could hear everything they were saying they had a conversation about the fact that the wine was actually cheaper to buy 3 glasses than by the bottle; the owner stated that " they will bloody well pay for what they ordered". I find this attitude towards paying guests appalling - not only is the wine cheaper by the glass, very odd, but to speak about people in this manner is just rude. We had finally been sitting there for over half an hour right under the nose of the owner when I went up to the bar and let them know that the overpriced wine was ours and that we seemed to have just been left sitting there with no-one taking our order and our wine was sitting at another table. We were then led to the table where our wine was which was right beside the kitchen door and throughout our meal the door was swinging continually with a cold draught coming through as they obviously had a door open in the kitchen. Our starter was good my partners dish was good but my main was average, totally irrelevant though as the whole experience was awful. When we left we looked into the restaurant and it was almost deserted - why not seat people in the restaurant when the bistro is being used for a function instead of he bar? We left and went to bar up the road which was full of guests from our hotel - very telling! The service at breakfast was just as bad; we both ordered porridge only one came and I ordered mushrooms and scrambled egg but only got scrambled egg. I would never give these people money again.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank falcarragh
Eider, Owner at Ducks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

I have to say I find these reviews incredibly hard to respond to. Life is about learning and accepting criticism so you can improve and grow. There are very few customers I don't see during their stay or visits to our Restaurant, Ducks or our Bistro Donald's and they are great at giving us feed back both orally and on the feed back forms in the bills and in the rooms. We learn so much from them, its a real joy to talk to them. There are separate sites for the Restaurant and the Bistro where you read reviews from diners.
We have racked our brains to think who this contributor can be. To my knowledge only one couple has sat on that table described during a dinner service this year and it was when the bistro was booked out. They didn't look happy and I spoke to them a number of times and bought them a drink at the end which they said wasn't required but thank you. So, was it them? One wouldn't think so. If the restaurant or the bistro are booked out we always tell customers so they have the option to come on a different night. Again the customers I referred to were very clearly told about their options for dining, they had not made a booking and the restaurant, Ducks was pretty well full. We have put Donald's Bistro dinners in Ducks Restaurant in the past.

Most places charge more per glass than per bottle, we charge the same because these days with screw caps there is far less wastage with wine going off. We also serve five whites and five reds by the glass giving a much wider choice than most. I simply don't talk in the manner described above and I think you will find if you read other reviews we work very hard at trying to make our customers happy. If I did say that I unreservedly apologize for causing offence. Lastly, and it seems always to be the same with this type of review, no comment was made to us and nor was the feed back form with the dinner bill or the feedback form in the room filled in.

My team works very hard to get it right and from time to time we do get it wrong but this kind of anonymous review doesn't really do any one any good but it really does hurt morale. Please, please, please tell some one if there is something wrong and give them the chance to remedy it.

Malcolm

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aberlady
Macdonald Marine Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Edinburgh A1 (Musselburgh) Hotel
Dunmuir Hotel
Dunmuir Hotel
#1 of 3 in Dunbar

Been to Ducks Inn? Share your experiences!