“A local treat in which to eat!”

The House of Darrach
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Gartocharn
Cuisines: British, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London
“A local treat in which to eat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

As I spend most of my working and social time in Glasgow I regrettably don't get the chance to frequent local eateries as much as I would like to and the House of Darrach is a prime example of what I am missing out on.

We stopped in by chance on Wednesday afternoon and it was just delightful! My only complaint, if you can call it that (well my Husband certainly would call it that!) is that there are far too many goodies in the shop which tempt my inner 'spender'! The Staff were ever so friendly, nothing was a problem and the food was beautifully presented and tasted delicious.

I will most certainly be back - well done to all at the House of Darrch, you have a rare local jewel to be proud of.

2 Thank DsAngel

Scotland
“warm welcome on a blustery day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Maybe the weather has made the last reviewers a bit grumpy, but I've just been to this lovely coffee house and got a lovely cheery welcome, a lovely cheery plate of soup and a lovely cheery slice of carrot cake. I like it because its a quality place to go amongst the average local places and I go at least once a month, sure it may cost a bit more than the average but as they say in life, you get what u pay for. I don't often write views for restaurants, I tend to save them for my hotel stays, but sometimes you just have to stick up for the local traders!

2 Thank RugglesScotland
Hamilton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Utterly faultless”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

I attend house of darrach every week and it never fails to cheer me up. From the friendly welcome as I enter both the shop and restaurant area to my last sip of coffee before I leave, I never leave unhappy. I've probably eaten my way through the menu (avoiding items with cheese due to an allergy) and everything is delicious, my particular favourite is the American pancake and my husband is the signature burger stacked with crisp onion rings, there should be a prize for finishing those! The staff are so lovely that you can't help but become friendly with one another, all my friends agree with this too, and they visit less often. The service is like no other!!
The cakes are delightful! i rarely manage one but my husbands favourite is the fresh Victoria sponge, it's like a door wedge!

My only grievance is that there coffee isn't available to buy in the shop, it's always just right! But I suppose it isn't really a complaint?

I truely don't understand the negative reviews. The place is so clean , fresh and utterly faultless In every way.
I Travel from Hamilton every week and it's totally worth the visit!

1 Thank Gloria R
Wales
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

My wife and I were staying for a couple of days at a near by holiday let. The cottage we were staying at recommended we took a visit and I must say thank goodness they did. This was a great recommendation. When we arrived in the shop part we were blown away with the stock and decor it was like nothing I had seen before. we wandered through to the coffee shop where we were met by a lady I now know was the owner. She was very friendly and showed us over to a lovely table beside the fire. I couldn't believe the owner was working so hard. (that is how to lead by example) My wife decided just to have a cake but I went for the fish and chips. The cake was fresh and brought with a smile by a lovely spanish girl who quickly followed with my fish. I thought the idea of salad dressings was lovely and I purchased the poppy seed on the way out.
When paying the bill I asked a young man I think was the manager how long it had been opened and couldn't believe it had been 3 years as it still looks like it was opened yesterday. I highly recommend anyone in the Loch Lomond are takes a visit here you wont be disappointed.

1 Thank BertieandZac
Alexandria, United Kingdom
“what happened to customer care?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

My friend and I visited the house of Darrach for lunch. I ordered coffee and a toastie. When the coffee arrived it wasn't as I asked but I overlooked this. The toastie arrived without chutney, as I don't eat cheese it was dry and unpalatable. I complained to the server who offered to bring some chutney to the table - cold chutney to be added to hot toast by the customer? I asked her to return it to the kitchen. After a few minutes the girl brought it back, kitchen staff had put cold chutney into the same toast. I complained only to be told it wouldn't happen again. Not acceptable! For two toastie's, one quite unappetising, one coffee, one tea we paid £21.50. Equally annoying was the fact that I later emailed the manager to advise him of my dissatisfaction, he didn't have the manners to reply.

• Visited September 2013