“Grand Tour”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Grand Tour”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband has wanted to visit Dumfries House for some time so I bought a grand tour ticket and booked us into the Lodge as part of his 60th birthday celebration.
What a treat we love visiting historic houses and this one is a little gem.
Our guide was excellent and we had a good rounded explanation of the house and family. A most endearing gentleman also accompanied us around the house whom I found so charming and helpful. A wonderful treat. Thank you.

2 Thank joann m

Chester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Historic Interest”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The house and furniture are well worth the travel time and the grounds around the house are wonderful

2 Thank Duncan-Chester
Warwick
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A'Brideshead Revisited ' experience.”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Revisiting a beautiful house which I knew in my childhood (please see detail in my review of our stay at Dumfries House Lodge) when it was largely under dust sheets during the war, but which I was able to explore with the twins( the late Marquis of Buite and his twin). It was so exciting to see the restoration and know that my memories ( vivid 'photographic' images!) were accurate. We should all be so grateful to Prince Charles for his imaginative effort to ensure the recuse of the house and the fabulous furniture collection. The future plans for regeneration of the local area and craft skills are impressive. We shall visit again next year to see further developments.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank kerry b
Perth, United Kingdom
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Our second visit, every bit as impressive as the first”
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

We loved our return visit to this astonishing house. Robert Adam's first real commission and the early appearance of Hepplewhite's furniture. The Grand Tour should take 1.5hrs but our tour easily over ran with our enthusiastic guide. Prince Charles deserves great credit for leading the campaign to save this house for the nation, and for the regeneration of the estate and the work this has brought to the community. A must see!

2 Thank Wilma M
Scotland
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Beautiful Adam house”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We went on the longer guided tour and our guide Rina (not sure of the spelling) was very good. She knew her stuff and was entertaining and informative. There was plenty to see and a lot of money has been spent on the decor and furnishings. It was interesting to see what a painting looks like after cleaning. (the Bassano.) The coffee shop only has ten tables inside and I'm sure this will not be adequate at busy times but the food is good. Mellerstain House near Kelso is Robert Adam and looks very similar to Dumfries House on the outside but is totally different inside. Both houses are spectacular and I'm glad I've seen both.

1 Thank morageckford