“Food & Service Great”

Moloko Restaurant at Dungiven Castle
Cuisines: Irish, International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: New owners since March 2012 Moloko Restaurant award winning Restaurant 2012 at Dungiven Castle
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Overall the food, service and experience was great. However, they could use some advice on improving interior design that is fitting and appropriate for the great history and period of the castle.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

loved everything about this place, if though it rained, there was soo much history attached to this hotel, food excellent, not too mention marys desserts.. to die for.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Food was lovely - well cooked and presented lovely - could'nt fault it!

Reviewed June 6, 2012

Food poisoning on a plate

We travelled from Aberdeen, Newcastle (County Down), Banbridge and Belfast to pay for one of the worst family dining experiences I have ever had the misfortune to come across.

Having driven past Dungiven Castle over the past decade and needing to stop on our journey to Londonderry for dinner I took the opportunity to take my mother and 2 sisters (1 of whom is pregnant) to what looked to me like a top class restaurant in a beautiful castle.

On entry we were impressed - we even took photos outside the castle, the female server was pleasant explaining that it was newly refurbished and we ordered starters, mains (chicken, salmon and steak) and had intended to have desserts too!

The starters were fine and 3 of the main courses were okay too but one main course was quite simply food poisoning on a plate. It was only after my youngest sister had carved a little taste for each of us that she realised that her chicken was in fact raw inside...

Product fail - we were served 'raw' chicken, not once but twice! The chef personally delivered it to our table second time round - definitely a good customer touch point when things do go wrong and this did impress us...but when we cut into the chicken his second attempt was also still raw inside...hence one poor lady in our party (my youngest sister who had her dental exams the next morning) did not get to eat at all!

Service sin - All service professionals failed to check on us, yes, they were waiting on other tables but before they leave the restaurant with their new orders for the kitchen - a quick scan of the room spies any dissatisfaction - allowing for timely acknowledgement and resolution. We waited a shockingly long time to grab the attention of the staff in order to inform them that the chicken was raw second time round too!

Worse still the first attempt to settle the bill had us charged for the raw chicken that was inedible and sent back to the restaurant. In the end we settled the bill at a discounted rate of £35 however money was not the issue - we had travelled a considerable distance (one of us from Scotland) to enjoy quality family time and our expectation was to have a family catch up over a fine dining experience.

The owner of the hotel who explained that he has newly taken over did intervene before we left and he was pleasant and clearly committed to making his business work - he also presented us with a £35 meal for 2 voucher to give him the chance to demonstrate that they can deliver a good experience. However my sisters refused to revisit on our return journey on Sunday.

Regretfully I could not recommend but do hope that the product quality and service levels do improve in what is a beautiful setting.

2  Thank NorthIrelandexplorer
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Was at this wee restaurant a few sundays ago, myself, partner and young son called for dinner, having been shown to the table by a lovely young girl we ordered drinks and looked at the menu!! Both myself and partner ordered off the high tea menu and kids menu for my son, soup althou ok was quite salty but edible!! I then had rump steak which I requested to be cooked medium, it was well done and very tough!! Ordered a burgar for my son which whenever we cut it was completely pink in the middle! We returned the burgar and asked for sausages instead, by the time the sausages came we were also finished our dinner and my son was hungry and cranky!! We decided to leave without having anything else, we were not offered any refund for the food that was returned, and all we got was a mere apology!!

1  Thank wee_cutie_pie