“Good spot to take in the viewsand local history”

Nendrum Monastic Site
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Comber
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I live a miles down the road from this historic site and visit all the time so i am biased - its a great spot to spend some time at on a trip in the area. Nice views (when the tide is in) over Strangford Lough and over to Whiterock and Sketrick Island. Interesting vistors centre with models of how the site looked. Situarted right beside Mahee Island Golf club and it is also very popular bird watching spot over the Lough. There is a very small parking area - however a mile or so on the road down there is a National Trust car park bird watching spot and the walk down to Nendrum over the bridge and is lovely to do on a summers day

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have been many times. I love the place, it feels so spiritual. I spent most of my summer there with my family having picnics or just a time to relax and unwind. You could spend many hours admiring the ruins of the little church, the tower and cottages where the monks would have lived many, many years ago. Daft Eddy's is a great place near by to have lunch or a drink.

1  Thank Rachael G
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Nice part of N.Ireland to visit, visitors have plenty to read and look at, our kids enjoyed climbing over the walls and imagining how it looked in the past! The little information centre was good and had an audio video presentation in it. Some people took their dogs on the site, so maybe good for a short walk too!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I visited this place a few times when I was a child. Therefore, I have happy memories, ploughing about the site.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Will DEFINITELY return. Went with the kids and they LOVED it!!! We spent a whole day there and didn't get to see it all!!! Such an incredible information centre telling you a bit about the place, the children adored it!!!!! They loved excavating bones from the ancient burial ground with the stoneage spades, unfortunately they didn't find bones or gold!! We thought there wouldnt be a cafe so we brought a portable bbq and cooked our meat inside the amazing tower however there would be no need to bring any meat as there are plenty of ducks floating on the lough and plenty of beef in the nearby field. Amazing day out and will defo be back with the kids!! Stunning views!!!!!

5  Thank jezzamcp