“A definite must!”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Bangor co down
“A definite must!”
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

My first trip here as it was my birthday weekend and my fiancé surprised me with an overnight stay with dinner and breakfast (not all at the same time, mind) and as he hasn't shut up about his first meal here last month, he thought this would be the ideal place to go.

Welcomed warmly at 'check in' and bag carried to our room. Nice touch. Room lovely and homely and on a cold day, it was nice and toasty. Spotlessly clean too.

Dinner was booked for 9pm and we arrived to a busy and buzzy dining room and welcomed like long lost friends. Wine chosen, food chosen and we were sat at a great wee table at the end of the dining room, which 'im indoors had requested.

For the next two hours I experienced food like nothing I have ever had before in Northern Ireland. Art on a plate, backed up by textures, flavours and seriously good technique and cooking. And I mean seriously good. Not forgetting about the service, we were well and truly looked after from start to finish. Special mention to Gareth, Karena and Natalie for looking after us so well and Gareth for decanting that Rioja for Neil. On the night though, the biggest thank you has to go to Will himself for giving both of us, but in particular me, the best food I've had in a long long long long time. Thank you for also coming out of the kitchen and saying hello at the end of the evening and introducing me to the whole new world of macaroons!! Yum yum.

A very comfy night's sleep and breakfast awaited us in a lovely breakfast room just across the hall. Will's parents tended to us magnificently with great coffee and lovely cooked breakfasts (great scrambled eggs, by the way!) and that was it for us.

In a nutshell, book a table here and book a room with it. Make a night of it. It really is that good.

Believe the hype. It's a gem of a place.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank keyholeBangorcodown

Ireland
“Fresh idea customers matter”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Have been here several times now and has been consistently good. The young chef is prepared to go the extra mile to deliver flavoursome food and presents it well. It's the sort of place that is happy to serve you a single course or multiple depending on your hunger pangs

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank CampbellIreland
Comber, United Kingdom
“Faultless Food”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Fine dining at its best. This is the third time I have eaten in the old schoolhouse inn and I was incredibly impressed yet again.
The décor has now changed and been updated to make the whole dining experience more pleasant, however, this restaurant is all about the food.
Will Brown makes such an effort to insure that every element on the plate works together and is cooked perfectly. The result is the best meal I have ever eaten!!!!
Tedfords used to be my favourite restaurant in NI, but now its the old schoolhouse, and the rpice is more favourable.
If you appreciate good food you must try the old schoolhouse........top class!!!!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Ryan M
“Amazing Dining”
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Called here for a meal on Tuesday evening. Lovely warm atmosphere when we entered!

As for the menu, so much variety and high quality food on show! The food was presented in a beautiful way and every flavour was perfect! I myself had the seabass starter followed by the wood pigeon, and my fiancée had the parfait followed by the beef.

Every aspect of the visit was wonderful and I look forward to many more visits!

3 Thank Gwright1985
Northern Ireland.
“Ah, disappointing”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We looked forward to a return visit, but we were really disappointed with our meal. Maybe the Chief had a night off, as does, happen, but. ........ Please folk, don't let the standard drop.

Visited November 2013