“DB&B package”

Ranked #1 of 2 Comber B&B and Inns
Groomsport, United Kingdom
“DB&B package”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

My third visit in as many months and this time we decided to make a night of it and booked in for their £140 dinner, bed and breakfast offer.

Food was as good as it was on my previous visits, as was the service. Very personable, yet still über slick and professional.

Our overnight stay was fantastic. Spotlessly clean room, lovely and warm and very comfy. Breakfast the morning after, looked after by Will's ever-the-professionals-parents rounded off the night away from home perfectly.

This place simply can't be faulted and with a Xmas present being a voucher for yet another over nighter away, wholeheartedly looking forward to going back very soon.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Hong Kong
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I took my Mother here for lunch in November for a celebration as we had just picked up her new car that morning so thought we would make a day of it. Quite simply the food was excellent, some of the best I have had in Northern Ireland (I live in south east England). I think what made it special was the combination of quality local produce, superbly cooked, a wonderful array of taste sensations and all expertly presented.

The staff could not have been more helpful and attentive, though it being a November lunchtime, the restaurant was very quiet. That said the lunchtime deals are excellent value.

The decor is very smart and contemporary and I hear a world away from how it was before the refurbishment.

Worth noting too was the wine choice, which again I could not fault.

We will certainly return, though next time on a lovely summer's evening as the country location deserves more than our visit on a grey November afternoon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The best dining experience I have ever had, absolutely beautiful !! I had the turkey dinner which was so yummy and so well presented, very different to how you think a standard Christmas dinner would be presented. Will be back ASAP!

Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We arrived just before a huge storm. We made our way inside and had some trouble finding where to check in. When we finally found some help, we were shown to our rooms. They were warm and well-appointed. Surprisingly, all of the rooms were named for American presidents, each of whom had Ulster roots, we were told later. The rooms are about to get a makeover, according to a sign in the rooms, so I am guessing that the decor will be changed in 2014. The beds were okay, but not particularly comfortable. I hope that these will be changed as well. Other than that, the rooms were spotless, the bathroom spacious, and the staff friendly. We ate in the hotel restaurant which was luxurious, enjoying local, seasonal flavors as part of the price fixed menu for the holidays. The covered walkway came in very handy between dinner and bedtime. In the morning, we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast, with eggs made to order and a number of other treats available. I would recommend this location for a hospitable stay.

3 Thank noonles
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We decided to try a first ever Christmas Day dinner away from home and I don't believe we could possibly have chosen a better location than the Old Schoolhouse. Party of six plus baby superbly catered for. Food outstanding for all five course (sauce reduction on the main course incredible) and an excellent and at all times attentive staff. Many thanks to all concerned. Already seriously considering a return for Christmas 2014!!

2 Thank Peter S
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I have eaten at The Old Schoolhouse Inn several times since it had been renovated in June. The service is excellent and the food superb. My family, friends and fiancé all agree - we have booked to have our wedding reception there next June.

The décor and ambiance of the restaurant is lovely - smart yet relaxed. All the staff are friendly and welcoming and extremely professional. The menu is diverse and I have eaten some of the best food I have ever tasted in this restaurant. The house red and white wine are both delicious and reasonably priced. A meal in this restaurant is more of an experience rather than just to 'fill a hole'.

I cannot recommend this place highly enough. I will be back many times between now and my wedding!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank amy03xx
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I recently dined at the Old Schoolhouse Inn restaurant, with my husband and friends. It was the first time any of us had eaten there since its refurbishment under new management. The restaurant is now super-modern, with minimal decor, in contrast to its previous collection of schoolroom memorabilia. Just a school bell in the entrance to remind guests of the origins of the building.
The bar is furnished with comfortable custom-built armchairs, and a pleasant place for pre-dinner drinks.
The menu was full of locally-produced food, a good selection, and it was beautifully artistically presented, and exquisitely full of flavour. The service was exemplary, attentive staff well versed in the contents of the menu, yet not over-intrusive.
The only criticism we had was that once the restaurant filled up, it became very noisy, probably due to the minimalist decor - although one wall is covered with padded velvet, the rest of the walls are bare, and one wall has large windows, all of which reflect the sound. The staff were appreciative of our mention of this - they will probably take action on remedying the situation quite soon, we felt.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank StephanieO34
Also consider these accommodations in or near Comber
The Old Inn Crawfordsburn
#11 of 44 in Belfast
Strangford Arms Hotel
Strangford Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Newtownards

Been to The Old Schoolhouse Inn? Share your experiences!