“Beautiful scenery. Love this attraction.”

Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge
Ranked #3 of 4 things to do in Ballintoy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed May 14, 2012

The walk down to the bridge can be quite a struggle for older people or anyone with walking difficulties so I would avoid it if this is you. If you are up for the walk, crossing the bridge is a great experience. The picture opportunities are amazing and breath taking. Yes you have to pay a small fee to walk across but it is worth it.

The bridge will obviously be closed if the weather is really bad or it is windy. So please be aware of this to avoid disappointment. I have crossed the bridge a couple of times and both times there was a waiting line, but didn't take long to get across.

I would recommend the bridge to everyone and I always bring my visitors here. It's a great thrill and experience. Just have a back up plan for something else to do if the weather is not great. Maybe try something indoors such as the Bushmills Distillery.

There are newer reviews for Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge

Reviewed May 12, 2012

The rope bridge is always shown in tourism ads so I had always been interested in in but didnt think that I would be able to cross it as Im scared of heights. We were doing a bit of a road trip around the north and happened across the bridge more by chance than on purpose. I didnt buy a ticket to cross the bridge as I didnt think that I would be able but once I got there I was talked into it by my friend. Luckily for me the guys working for the national trust were willing to let me on as long as I paid on the way out.
The worst part was actually walking down the steps to the bridge once on the bridge it was fine, well disappointing actually as its really sturdy and doesnt sway from side to side or bounce too much even.
Its well worth a visit as the walk to the bridge is lovely and the views are amazing.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

Glad we've done it, but I'm not sure I rave about it as much as some others here, because I just couldn't shake the feeling that, at the end of the day - it's just a bridge. And one that you have to pay for the pleasure of crossing.

We found ourselves more interested in the story that the guide was telling us about the abandoned fisherman's house on the island, which is still there to this day. The fisherman used to winch a boat down from the island and into the water, fish for salmon, winch the boat back up full of fish, walk the fish across the far less stable and secure rope-bridge, and across the fields into the ice-house before selling them.

1  Thank sazmcphee
Reviewed May 10, 2012

This is a must-do when in North Antrim on the Causeway Coast. Amazing views and great sense of achievement especially when you have no head for heights!

Reviewed May 9, 2012

I have been lucky on that one. Only 3 days in Nothern Ireland: I did not have rain or anything on the frist two days. Thirst one , when I decide to go and cross the bridge ...It's raining and it's windy as hell. They closed it for security reason obviously.
It's a shame because for only 5£, I would've loved to do it.
But be aware that the queue is sometime, of over an hour.

Overwise, I enjoy the 1km walk you have to do to reach the bridge. (even with the rain and the cold!). The view is stunning and I am happy I saw the Irish coast. you're also meant to be able to see the coast of Scotland ...which I didn't. But when you go to Ireland, you know that the chances of having a bad weather are quite high anyway. As I said, I enjoyed it anyway.

I would not recommend the bridge to someone who is scared of hights. Its 20 metres above the sea level, and I was told that once you're on it, the bridge moves (even when no wind).

2  Thank karendurst