“Worth a visit”

Cuisines: Irish, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Had our evening meal in this lovely little place. Husband and wife team who were very friendly and even though we hadn't reserved a seat they did their best to accommodate us. I had the lemon and lime sea bass fish cakes which were delicious. As I cannot eat salad I requested chips and much to my disappointment it arrived with salad. As I am not one to cause a fuss I ate the fish cakes with the delicious wheaten bread which accompanied it. My husband had the cod fish and chips which he really did enjoy. We asked for a jug of cold water as it was a hot day - the water was warm - a few ice cubes would have been nice. All in all this place is worth a visit, food is good and reasonably priced. The homemade cakes looked delicious, but unfortunately we were too full to sample.

1  Thank Audrey R
There are newer reviews for The Red Door Tea Room

Reviewed July 28, 2014

The Red Door Tea Room is in the small village of Ballintoy, located off the Causeway Coastal Route. It is sign-marked from the main road and not terribly troubling to find. Parking is available but at peak times, can be quite busy and cramped. The cafe is a quaint cottage converted to a restaurant with both indoor and outdoor seating and a separate tea room. Lovely views to the ocean and up the green pastures where local sheep are kept. We were greeted upon our arrival by the owners, who were exceptionally friendly and happy to discuss their menu and cafe and inquire as to where we were from. The ambiance inside the cafe is warm and casual but very pretty with local artwork and curios on display. The menu serves healthy portions of fresh, local fare in a pleasing presentation. We enjoyed our sausages and chips and fishcakes very much. Dessert was a true highlight with a gorgeous and freshly made rhubarb lattice pie. Prices were very economical considering the view and portions served. This is a lovely little spot, tucked away from the masses. Great spot for a lunch outside with a view or a cup of tea at any time! Would return here without question.

1  Thank kristinagrace
Reviewed July 27, 2014

The cafe was busy however I did not find it an enjoyable lunch experience. I feel that the children's meals were of poor quality (frozen chips, no vegetables or even beans) and portion size was small (1 sausage). This cafe was recommended by friends however I don't think I would go back again.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

What a delightful surprise this was. Driving east from the Giant's Causeway we noticed this cute little red and white cottage in the distance. We were not disappointed, the owner and her mother were cooking up a storm, her son was our waiter and we even got to meet her husband and daughter who had stopped for lunch. Excellent homemade food, the pies looked fantastic but restrained ourselves.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Visited the Red Door having been recommended early afternoon to-day for lunch. Got seated and waited over ten minutes and not a single person came near us to offer menu! The owner I presume a gentleman chatted away the entire time to a customer at the till and we were totally ignored despite the fact we saw at least four members of staff floating around. Left after 15 minutes. Would not recommend this place to anyone!