“Hotel on a beautiful coastal route”

Londonderry Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carnlough
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I think all hotel managers should sit in the bath now and again and see the world from the point of view of their customers. They would see the cracks and gaps between the bath and the wall; they would see under the basin and the peeling wallpaper. That was my thought as I contemplated the world before breakfast at the Londonderry Arms. The toilet roll had come away from its holder as soon as I pulled the first sheet and it obviously didn't fit properly. When I got down to breakfast I was ignored for some time while the staff rushed around helping a party of tourists; finally they noticed me and got me a table. Getting to my room involved umpteen doors and sets of stairs up and down. I couldn't get the wi-fi to work on my phone

That's the downside. On the other hand, the hotel was a good place to stop on the beautiful coastal route north of Larne, the bed was comfortable, the breakfast was OK, I liked the moose head mounted above the front desk, where the receptionist was friendly. If it's location and a good night's sleep you want, this is fine. It will be better after they have refurbished the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We drove up from Dublin for a weekend break & were greeted with a warm welcome & told about the pig racing event the following evening! We'd come for a trip to the Giant's Causeway & the rope bridge, both of which were fabulous & the weather was astounding. We ate in the hotel & the food was excellent. Breakfast was freshly cooked & hot, including the toast! There's nothing quite like a full Irish breakfast to start the day off.Throughout the visit all of the staff were talkative, friendly & Raymond, especially, was a wealth of local information. The rooms were large & comfortable. I would definitely stay here again & would recommend it to others. Oh, and the pig racing was a joy to behold!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room.
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Called in mid afternoon after exploring the geology of the Antrim coast. Feeling hungry I chose one of the specials; pork and leek sausage on a bed of champ with sweet chilli jam. The service was pleasant and attentive. The food was served piping hot. Three well cooked and tasty sausages on with a large portion of champ with peas and sweet chilli. Perhaps the champ was a little dry for my taste and some butter would have been nice.
Would gladly return again

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had a living social deal and stayed Saturday through to Monday - lovely hotel with very pleasant staff. Bonus of beautiful weather throughout our stay. Really enjoyed our stay. After checking in and relaxing we decided to visit the coach house for a pre dinner drink. We enjoyed this so much that rather than moving to the restaurant for our evening meal we ate in the coach house. We really enjoyed the steak which was cooked exactly as ordered. The desert of apple crumble was also enjoyable. Breakfast on each morning was lovely. We particularly enjoyed the wheaten bread but as it was bank holiday weekend were unable to buy some to take home. We really enjoyed exploring the antrim coast and hopefully will return to stay at the Londonderry Arms Hotel

1  Thank blargo
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

If u are in this area this hotels food is amazing. Award winning chef, lovely staff and this hotel has a lovely charm to it. U must try there apple crumble. To die for. Also wheaten bread. Steak is lovely ALS champ.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank brandyandginger1
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Booked here on a living social deal for two nights stay + a bottle of wine with dinner in the restaurant. Setup is nice and homely with a small cosier bar +fire to enjoy pre dinner drinks by. We ate dinner in the main restaurant the first night due to the free wine offer, dinner was ok, homely food. Breakfast was good both days, but all a bit chaotic will tons of staff running left right and centre doing every task under the sun, which inevitably meant a lengthy wait to get service. Ate dinner in the coach house bar the second night which was decent food and decent. House wine was reasonable @ €15 too. We were blessed with super weather and it was a great location to do a tour of the sights of the north west. Unfortunately it took about 20 mins to check out the next morning as there was a massive queue and only one staff member assigned to dealing with the checkouts. Overall it was decent value and a nice hotel, maybe a bit quirky /faulty towers for my liking, but I guess that has its charms too. Would I go again? Yes, I think so, but probably only with a deal of some sort.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view room when booking.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Just back from a very enjoyable 2 night break at The Londonderry Arms Hotel, from the moment we arrived we were given first class service.

Reception checkin was fast and friendly service, we were given a lovely first floor double room at the front of the hotel and I might add perfect with a sea view, the room was clean and comfy, with everything we needed, the only one thing I would say on the negitave, there was no socket near to the mirrors for the hairdryer to reach so maybe a longer lead on the hairdryer would solve this, (important for us ladies).

Carnlough itself is a lovely little place to have a walk around, theres a local shop next door and a spar just up the road, also theres a nice walk up the hills behind the hotel.

We ate in the Coach House Bar the first night, both of us ate the steaks which were good, the apple & cinnamon crumble dessert was very good too. Breakfast both mornings was the best we've had for quite a while in a hotel.

During both days we saw all the local sights, the weather was even perfect, would recommend this hotel, it was friendly, and clean, altho a bit dated it adds character to it, so I wouldn't change that.

Room Tip: Room with a sea view if you can!
1  Thank Tpink
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carnlough
Ballygally Castle
#4 of 6 in Ballymena
The Fullerton Arms
The Fullerton Arms
#1 of 2 in Ballycastle

Been to Londonderry Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!