“Best steak I had in all of Ireland”

Londonderry Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carnlough
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My wife, myself and my parents spent the night there, we got 2 rooms. My parents bed was nice and firm but our mattress felt like a 400 pound man had laid there for a month. We would start out with both of us near the edges of the bed but found we rolled toward the middle in a matter of minutes. More of an amusing quirk than any sort of problem. We just went with it and snuggled all night. I slept very well, thanks to Carlsberg and Stella. The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. You feel like you are staying with family (if you like your family).

I will definitely be back there someday of this I am sure because the restaurant and pub were great. I mean really great. Trust me, I drove to Wicklow just for the lamb, I know food. The first thing that was great was that on the back of the menu was the list of local farms where all the food came from, all locally sourced. I got the steak, rib eye I believe (Antrim beef) and I kid you not when I say you could cut it with your fork. So flavorful, so juicy, so delicious. After dinner I went to the pub. The pub was warm and cozy with very helpful and friendly staff. Again you feel like you are in your uncles living room (your nice uncle)

The hotel is also walking distance to the Eurospar where if you, like us, were passing though on a road trip you can stock up on drinks and snacks. Across the street is one of the most beautiful little park/harbor areas. With paths and even a small stream flowing out to the sea. I could have stood there for hours and hours, extremely beautiful, which is really saying something because 99% of the country is beautiful but this place really stood out.

If I had one complaint, being a Catholic, I would have rather stayed at the Derry Arms but hey, this is not the forum for politics.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Johnny_Boston_USMC
There are newer reviews for Londonderry Arms Hotel

Reviewed February 9, 2013

As a frequent diner for many years in this beautiful hotel I cannot praise it enough. The food is delicious and served in the main dining room with the elegance and care that is lost in so many places nowadays. The Coach House bar dining is also one to be enjoyed with its lovely open fire and friendly, professional staff.
The staff throughout the hotel are so kind, friendly and professional with nothing too much trouble and you are made very welcome with the cosy open fires.
The hotel itself with its oldworld charm can transport you back to a time of elegance that so seldom do you see now, my prayer is that it will never change.
The hotel is comfortable to stay in again with oldworld charm and the breakfast will certainly set up for the day ahead, indeed if you were a visitor to the area you would have a lovely peaceful time relaxing in the beautiful Glens of Antrim.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Redzview
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Love the outlook,love its antique hotel.Feel like being at Irish home.
The restaurant serve nice food,the staffs are friendly and helpful.
The breakfast is fresh cook although is a bit long wait .
Its a bit far away from other areas but is good to relax and refresh.
There is a chinese take away restaurant next few door away from the hotel and its serve very nice Asian food.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessee2000
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Went to the Londonderry Arms Hotel with friends for dinner on Saturday evening....coal fires burning nice and warm and cosy.We ordered and our meal arrived promptly.Nice warm tasty food well garnished and well priced ....We all enjoyed our meal and agreed to go back soon!!!Found the staff very friendly and helpful....will go back soon!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank normary
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was facilitating a Board level business session in The Londonderry Arms on 4 December, and I would highly recommend it as a business venue.

The customer service is excellent from all the team. You aren't just another faceless customer, but are treated as special and important. Nothing is too much trouble. One of my participants commented 'the warmth of welcome was outstanding'.

It feels different; it's not a bland, one-of-many hotel. It is old, quirky, charming and comfortable. There were lovely open fires (including in the training room - a treat!), the training rooms are a good size and full of antique furniture, the food is great. People will remember it. It doesn't have lots of state-of-the-art mod cons - but the atmosphere and charm more than makes up for this.

It's great value.

I'm now going to book in as a guest, so I can properly enjoy the relaxed pace.

Thank you to everyone for such a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We came to the Londonderry Arms, using it as a base for the many walks & trails nearby. Check in was no problem, and the 1st impression we got was how warm & cosy the place was due to the numerous open fires on the ground floor - excellent! Rooms were oldy worldly which was a nice change, facilities were well above average. We had a great nights sleep, there wasn't a sound in the whole hotel. We had the 3 course Xmas dinner which was tasty and reasonably priced. Breakfast good the next day too (perhaps proper quality brown sauce would be a welcome addition). Special mention must go to a staff member called "Joe", who seemed to be everywhere in the hotel (front desk, behind the bar, serving food etc), and couldn't have helped us more at each of these places, always with a smile on his face.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank keithcrawford2000
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Great value weekend break deal. Excellent dinner and flexible menu too, friendly and professional service, nothing rushed at any stage. Room had a view as asked for and was furnished with old solid furniture; it was warm and comfortable,and the bathroom was spotless which pleased Mrs L. The bar crowd was a mixture of well heeled townie seaside weekenders, locals and residents, and had a great atmosphere. A lovely walk in the sunshine in the morning followed by a cooked breakfast and the Sunday paper by a roaring fire; we tried to book ahead for our next weekend off together, but it's full; hardly surprising. Looking forward to returning, and soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the sea
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carnlough
Ballygally Castle
#1 of 2 in Ballycastle
Leighinmohr House Hotel
Leighinmohr House Hotel
#3 of 6 in Ballymena

Been to Londonderry Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!