“Great stay!”

Ranked #2 of 15 Ballymena B&B and Inns
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Great stay!”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night recently.

The house itself and our room were beautiful, decorated in Victorian style.

We felt welcomed by the other guests and Robert (host) to hang out in the sitting room in the evening and enjoy company. Robert made my boyfriend the most delicious Irish coffee, and recommended a great wine for me.

Also, while a very small detail, just want to mention my appreciation for the writing style of the B&B guest guide in our room-- it was actually really witty.

The breakfast menu and choices were great-- I was excited to see "pancakes and maple syrup" on the menu as I rarely see these since moving the the UK from Canada...

although my one complaint was that it wasn't maple syrup as promised (was some sort of golden syrup) and I don't think the pancakes were homemade, so they were a little tough and dry.

But the whiskey and cream porridge was a hit!!
(Foodie lesson learned-- always stay local with food!)

Thanks for a great stay.

2 Thank Amanda B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights - no Staff! Apart from arrival and at breakfast we were alone in the house. Sat in Drawing Room with plug in electric heater and no staff to offer any form of hospitality. (Dirty ashes in grate, used cups/saucers on tray). No home baking. "Indulgent Lotions & Potions" in bathroom from Lidl and Sainsburys! Could not recommend Marlagh Lodge - we were very very disappointed.

16 Thank BRIGID056
tertiacat, Owner at Marlagh Lodge, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
It is almost inevitable in the hospitality business that one rogue review crops up from time to time. While potential guests will be able to glean a true reflection of staying at Marlagh Lodge from our other reviews I feel I must respond to this one.

These guests were notified in advance that the weekend in question was going to be particularly busy for both my wife and I and although they had the opportunity to rearrange their booking they chose to come anyway.

Marlagh Lodge is a private home (not a hotel) with every aspect of our guests' stay personally overseen by us - we do not have "staff". It is simply not true that these guests were alone in the house other than at the times they state - only in the very short space of time between returning from dinner and going to bed - and they had been told in advance that we would not be there at that time.

At every moment of their stay the house was very comfortably warm with the central heating on and table lamps were lit throughout the house. There is indeed a discreetly placed electric heater in the Drawing Room. This is there for guests to use should they require some additional heat as the room is exclusively available to guests at any hour of the day or night. Other guests had had afternoon tea in the Drawing Room room immediately prior to these guests's arrival - hence the tea tray. As to the ashes - when the fire is not lit the grate is hidden behind a rather lovely Victorian fire-screen! Really!

All the toiletries in the bathroom these guests used may have been purchased in Sainsbury's but were of the highest quality.

Every ingredient used in our food is of the best quality available and the bread served to these guests came from a particularly good local home bakery.

Dear Reader - all these issues have been addressed in writing to these guests (who were offered, accepted and did not question a discount as a gesture of goodwill). A previous particularly unpleasantly worded review has already been withdrawn by tripadvisor. Please read our other reviews and draw your own conclusions. We look forward to your stay with us.
uk
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We found Marlagh Lodge through "Hidden Ireland",having used the guide book on a visit last year.Robert welcomed us with Tea and cake in the lovely Drawing room before showing us our room,which was beautifully decorated,as is the whole house.We had the Blue room with four poster bed and for our 3 night stay we had the best sleep ever!
During our stay,Robert cooked some of the best food we have tasted,(and we travel a lot.)His 5 course evening meal and the "Ulster Fry " was beautifully cooked and presented.Marlagh Lodge is licensed and offers a short but good value wine list.( I particularly enjoyed the Cork Gin each evening before dinner)
Our host was happy to discuss days out with us each morning, organise dinner on the one night we ate out and book taxi's.
We came away feeling totally relaxed and very well looked after,in fact the hospitality was 5 star,we shall definitely return.

Room Tip: All rooms are large and well equipped
4 Thank caroline048
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I found this hotel from a site I had never used before and for the price I did not expect much as I did'nt read any reviews.However when I arrived I was met by Robert a most affable chap and shown to what I can only say is one of beautiful rooms I have ever stayed in,the owners have gone to great lengths to make the rooms authentic to the period (victorian) with lovely detail to furnishings and decor.The room I am staying in has a four poster bed and a cast iron stand alone bath.Now to the practicalities,the heating works and works well,when you run a bath the water is hot and free flowing (no waiting half an hour for it to fill up,when put up the toilet lid will stay up and does not move around,tea and coffee facilities are of good quality,the breakfast was hot and very tasty.I stay in many hotels and these are the things that annoy me,not here I have found perfection.

Room Tip: If a couple or on your own ask for the blue room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank sspxb17
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Beautiful house, Excellent service, very friendly, customer focused, food delcious, i couldnt wish more, highly recommended

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank 0142monika
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We've just returned from a 4 night stay at the Marlagh Lodge, using it as a base while we visited family and friends in the Ballymena area. We found Robert to be the most convivial host, ready with lots of knowledge about the house and the surrounding area. Our room (The Chintz Room) was extremely comfortable and beautifully decorated. The only pity is, due to other commitments, we didn't get a chance to sample an evening meal at the Marlagh, but if breakfast was anything to go by, I can pretty much guarantee, it would have been a treat.
If you're reading this Robert, I've just made a second batch of your lovely poached plum recipe! Thanks for letting me into the secret.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Katie M
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Wonderful homely lodge, fantastic attentive hosts with superb food. Will be booking here for my next trip.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Alan M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballymena
Rosspark Hotel
Adair Arms Hotel
Adair Arms Hotel
#5 of 6 in Ballymena
Holiday Inn Express Antrim M2, JCT.1

Been to Marlagh Lodge? Share your experiences!