“Excellent”

Ranked #2 of 15 Ballymena B&B and Inns
uk
“Excellent”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We found Marlagh Lodge through "Hidden Ireland",having used the guide book on a visit last year.Robert welcomed us with Tea and cake in the lovely Drawing room before showing us our room,which was beautifully decorated,as is the whole house.We had the Blue room with four poster bed and for our 3 night stay we had the best sleep ever!
During our stay,Robert cooked some of the best food we have tasted,(and we travel a lot.)His 5 course evening meal and the "Ulster Fry " was beautifully cooked and presented.Marlagh Lodge is licensed and offers a short but good value wine list.( I particularly enjoyed the Cork Gin each evening before dinner)
Our host was happy to discuss days out with us each morning, organise dinner on the one night we ate out and book taxi's.
We came away feeling totally relaxed and very well looked after,in fact the hospitality was 5 star,we shall definitely return.

Room Tip: All rooms are large and well equipped
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank caroline048

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I found this hotel from a site I had never used before and for the price I did not expect much as I did'nt read any reviews.However when I arrived I was met by Robert a most affable chap and shown to what I can only say is one of beautiful rooms I have ever stayed in,the owners have gone to great lengths to make the rooms authentic to the period (victorian) with lovely detail to furnishings and decor.The room I am staying in has a four poster bed and a cast iron stand alone bath.Now to the practicalities,the heating works and works well,when you run a bath the water is hot and free flowing (no waiting half an hour for it to fill up,when put up the toilet lid will stay up and does not move around,tea and coffee facilities are of good quality,the breakfast was hot and very tasty.I stay in many hotels and these are the things that annoy me,not here I have found perfection.

Room Tip: If a couple or on your own ask for the blue room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank sspxb17
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Beautiful house, Excellent service, very friendly, customer focused, food delcious, i couldnt wish more, highly recommended

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank 0142monika
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We've just returned from a 4 night stay at the Marlagh Lodge, using it as a base while we visited family and friends in the Ballymena area. We found Robert to be the most convivial host, ready with lots of knowledge about the house and the surrounding area. Our room (The Chintz Room) was extremely comfortable and beautifully decorated. The only pity is, due to other commitments, we didn't get a chance to sample an evening meal at the Marlagh, but if breakfast was anything to go by, I can pretty much guarantee, it would have been a treat.
If you're reading this Robert, I've just made a second batch of your lovely poached plum recipe! Thanks for letting me into the secret.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Katie M
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Wonderful homely lodge, fantastic attentive hosts with superb food. Will be booking here for my next trip.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Alan M
Belfast
Reviewed December 5, 2011

A friend and I stayed at Marlagh Lodge for two nights in December. Everything about the Lodge was wonderful. Robert and Rachel are excellent hosts - very friendly but never overbearing. The house itself - a lovingly restored 19thC building - is absolutely beautiful. And the attention to detail is amazing - from the mineral water and snacks in the rooms, to the dressing gowns and extra heaters on a snowy day.

The food was also fabulous. My friend and I are real food snobs and perhaps difficult to please, but everything we had to eat was mouthwatering. The poached plums and whisky cream porridge breakfast were a highlight of our stay, as was the incredible 5 course dinner.

We will definitely return to Marlagh Lodge and will be recommending it to all our friends and family. Our only fear is that this amazing place will become so popular that we'll not be able to get in again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MrTooth
SALTBURN BY THE SEA
Reviewed November 23, 2011

Great place to stay, will be coming back very soon.
Lovely friendly people, brilliant room, relaxing, perfect after a long day.
5 Stars

Room Tip: Stay here.. great breakfast
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Joan I
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballymena
Rosspark Hotel
Adair Arms Hotel
Adair Arms Hotel
#5 of 6 in Ballymena
Holiday Inn Express Antrim M2, JCT.1

Been to Marlagh Lodge? Share your experiences!