“A Christmas Cracker!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Ballymena
N.IRELAND
“A Christmas Cracker!”
Reviewed December 29, 2009

We decided to stay over after the works Christmas Dinner for a trial run as our wedding is here next year, I can only hope it goes as well as this stay. Running late as usual! We went for the meal first, I couldn’t believe the number of people in the room it is huge; there must have been more than 700 people there! My other half is on a gluten free diet and I had forgotten to let the organiser know so we expected it might cause a few issues. I told the girl showing us to the table and they very kindly sorted it out.

This has to be the best Christmas Party I’ve ever been to the atmosphere was electric, great food and the band amazing. I was worried that the service might suffer because of the number of people there but everything went very smoothly with all the courses being served to the table at the same time and warm! It was delicious.

I had upgraded the room to the bridal suite as a pre Christmas present and it didn’t disappoint. The bedroom had been redecorated since our last show round and looks incredible; we had a four-poster bed, our own balcony and a Jacuzzi bath! The bed was so comfortable I didn’t want to leave.

When we were checking out the man that had booked our wedding recognised us and stopped to see how the night had gone and how the wedding plans were coming along. I thought this was a real personal touch as I’m sure they meet a lot of people in a year. We had to go for a final nosey before leaving and couldn’t believe that the huge room was now set for a wedding and looked equally as impressive partitioned off as it had done the night before. When we got back round to reception the carvery had opened so we decided to stay for a while longer!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Pedro de Alcantara, Spain
Reviewed November 23, 2009

This has to be one of the worst run hotels i've ever encountered.....a total train crash!
The fine old building,the attractive grounds and the handy location give you a sense of expectation as you drive up the avenue. Once you get as far as the reception desk the illusion is shattered.We had the misfortune to be checked in by a young blonde lady,Jill by name,who was without doubt the frostiest receptionist on the planet. Where oh where do they hire the staff? Who,in the name of all that is holy,trains these people?When she finally acknowledged our presence at the desk she treated us as if we'd crawled out from under a rock.No welcome,no smile no effort at conversation....just a disdainful look that said 'Who ARE you people and how dare you interrupt my morning coffee?"
When we asked to change rooms,having been given one that was still being painted,fumes hanging in the air,we were basically told to like it or lump it! Charming!
The whole interior could do with a good facelift and makeover. The furniture and furnishings are all well past their sell by date and the general atmosphere is one of gloom.The word 'dowdy' springs to mind.
That evening when we returned to the hotel at the ungodly hour of 11-30 pm,(that's right a half hour before midnight) and asked politely if we could have a night-cap we were told ,by another member of staff who'd obviously attended the same charm school as Miss Frosty,that it was...."too late!". .....end of story.
Breakfast in the morning was one of the worst examples of the 'Buffet' notion that we'd ever experienced....fried eggs lying in congealed fat,undercooked greasy bacon,lukewarm sausages and toast that had been given 10 seconds in the toaster,barely even warm. nobody seemed to care.
At a time when most hotels are striving for business and making that extra effort, this was a management disaster.Our entire experience was a nightmare and wild horses would not get me back to this establishment. It is the kind of place that could get Northern Irish hospitality a bad name. Management have definitely taken their eye off the ball.Big time.
Next time I'm in the area I'll pay a bit extra and stay at the Galgorm Manor ,five minutes and light years away!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank gastrorepublican
N.Ireland
Reviewed November 5, 2009

I recently attended the Annual Business Awards Gala Evening in the Hotel, and was very impressed with everything the hotel and its staff provided to ensure a successful evening for such a large event. The room and facilities are superb, the staff very courteous and attentive without being intrusive, and the food was served to over 400 people on time and good quality.
Its a very good venue for hosting events of every size ( I heard on the evening some praise of a recent dinner for over 800 guests) and with the support avaible during the planning and organising coupled with the standard of service on the evening, I would have no hesitation in using the venue for further corporate events

Magherafelt
Reviewed November 4, 2009

I would like to Thank the management & staff at Tullyglass House hotel for being so helpful at organising our Gala Ball. I would like to mention that anything we needed they helped us with and the service on the night was exceptional. Even though there was two other funtions on elsewhere within the hotel on the same night, everything went really well.
The food and athmosphere was "out of this world".. I couldn't have asked for a better night.
I would reccommend for anyone who is thinking of hosting a Ball or wedding to consider Tullyglass!!

northern ireland
Reviewed October 23, 2009

just stayed here for 1 night but would love to to back - everyone very friendly and rooms were lovely - would not hesitate to stay here again! lovely setting for a wedding!!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Northern Ireland
Reviewed October 21, 2009

We conducted a survey on the day of the conference hosting 156 delegates. Our ratings were Poor, Average, Good and Excellent. On the questionaire we asked for a rating for Conference Facilites this got 63% Excellent and 37% Good. For Catering Facilities it was 66% Excellent and 34% Good. We had no Average or No Poor. I think this is an excellent result for the Tullyglass and it reflects greatly on the attention to detail applied. Nothing was too much trouble prior to the conference and on the day. A job very well done. I would fully recommend the Tullyglass. If they can do this for a Conference I would expect a Wedding would be sensational.

Ireland
Reviewed June 11, 2009

i would just like to say that i had my wedding in the tullyglass last june and it was perfect. i couldn't have asked for things to go any better.
from we arriced at the hotel every little detail was taken care of for us, all we had to do was sit back and enjoy our wedding reception.
everyone at the wedding complimented how exceptional the food wasand the service- there were absolutely no complaints and everyone was served on time and food was piping hot. we had 200 at our wedding and i have been at weddings with alot less people who couldnt manage to do this.
we had our wedding in the clock tower suite- this venue is spectular. the room is simply stunning.

i am not being biased as i write this review- i was at my cousins wedding a few months later which was in the same room and it to was fantastic and the food excellent for a wedding reception.

i would advise people to ignore the negative reviews on this site and try this place for yourself. i have been to numerous weddings here and i could never complain about any of them.

Also Chris is the owner of the Tullyglass- he is a nice man and normally means things in a jokey/sarcastic manner if people could recognise this and his wife is called kathleen.

Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballymena
Galgorm Resort & Spa
Adair Arms Hotel
Adair Arms Hotel
#5 of 6 in Ballymena
Hilton Belfast Templepatrick Golf & Country Club

Been to Tullyglass House Hotel? Share your experiences!