“Never to return!”

Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We took the kids here thinking it would be more their sort of place to relieve the pressure mid-exams. The only redeeming factor this place had was that the serving staff were pleasant and obliging. We found the menu very limited and made our choices more from the aspect of well if that's the best there is rather than that is what I really want. When the food arrived we all looked at each other in disbelief. My breast of chicken in their special sauce was a shrivelled morsel that must have caught a drip of sauce off the end of the chef's (joke) spoon. The baked potato was under-cooked and the corn on the cob was pitiful. The others at the table fared no better, we almost laughed at the waitress when she asked how it was. As the title of this review says we paid the bill with a firm view - NEVER TO RETURN. Avoid this place at all costs I have been disappointed at restaurants before but never to this extent!

2  Thank Cullybackey1notyin

Reviewed June 6, 2014

I live in Antrim (about 15 minutes from Ballymena) with very little choice in restaurants, and I do love American Italian style restaurants, so I was delighted when Frankie & Benny's came to Ballymena. I have been to this one for breakfast, lunch and dinner several times.

We went a few days ago for a quick bite, having pre-booked tickets in the cinema close by for an hour and a half later. There were two waiting staff and two chefs on, with one person working behind the bar. The restaurant wasn't overly busy so I wasn't concerned, however it became apparent that nobody at the tables around had been served. We waited around 15 minutes for somebody to take our order. A family of four were seated beside us when they arrived about ten minutes after we did. When we did we ordered a simple main course each (pasta for me and a hotdog for my partner) with a side of fries. The family beside us received their meals long before we did, and ours took around 45 minutes to arrive, and the order was wrong. We were too short on time for me to tell someone and have it corrected.

I saw the staff apologising to other tables for the wait, however nobody spoke to us. I had to walk up to the cinema and change our pre-booked tickets to a later (and different) film before the food arrived. We didn't have time for dessert and nobody took our finished plates away - in then end I had to walk up to the till and wait for somebody to take my payment, and was asked if I would like to add a gratuity to my card payment, which I declined (it isn't like me not to tip).
The staff were very friendly, however they did the bare minimum of what's expected of waiting staff. Although the restaurant didn't seem overly busy, perhaps they (or the chefs) were short-staffed. I worked as a waitress and behind a bar for a few years and provided better service. I won't be back unfortunately.

1  Thank rachelee
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We certainly enjoyed the food. service was fast and by very pleasant staff. I liked the lay out but the downside was the music so loud a reflection on my age.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Began badly with 'hostess' looking at us like dirt and begrudgingly pointing us to a table. Special wasn't allowed (free kids meal) for some complicated reason despite the fact that we'd done it before. Chips were cold and like tasteless oven chips. Service from pompous overdressed staff dreadful. Overpriced and food mediocre at best. Kids meal dreadful, dried up fish fingers. Fancy decor misleading! said I wouldn't be back and I haven't and never will. Gave comments on website, no response. Avoid.

1  Thank mummydog18
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Called in with family April one Sat morning .because there were only three of us we were not allowed on the plush leather corner units . The place empty for heavens sake!! Drinks and food arrived promptly to be fair the staff were lovely and the food was pretty basic for the high cost , what annoyed us all more than anything the joint was freezing . I complained to staff to which they replied it was the Air Conditioning . It was sucking the heat out of our meals let alone us. This joint will never have the opportunity of reducing our body heat again so in a nutshell . Costly , and bloody cold with loads of space to shiver ..