“Lovely hotel but communication an issue” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Galgorm Resort & Spa

Galgorm Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ballymena
Cheshire
“Lovely hotel but communication an issue”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2009

My partner and I have just returned from a two night stay at this lovely hotel. We booked through an offer in Essentials magazine but when we phoned to book the hotel new nothing about the offer and had to go and buy the magazine and phone me back.

The offer included a 30 min spa treatment each, two nights dinner bed and breakfast and a bottle of wine with dinner. The hotel charged us for the spa treatments and we had to tell them about the essentials offer we had to book on. Each night at dinner we were charged for wine and depsite showing the hotel the magazine offer we had to pay for one bottle of wine. These little things spoiled what would have been a lovely stay. I notice that a few people on the site have had a few issues with being charged for things they shouldn't. It is a shame because the staff are very helpful, the rooms are gorgeous and the food was fantastic.

1 Thank SFPR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
nyc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for a wedding. Overall, I thought it was a very nice spot with good service. The rooms are very modern and clean. The food here is mediocre at best. Make sure to bring your bathing suit!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
N Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2009

Five sisters stayed for a fun leisure Halloween weekend. Even though three in one room, and even though they were standard rooms, the rooms /bathrooms were spacious with beautiful views over the river. Toiletries in the hotel and spa are really lovely.Hotel staff excellent - Restaurant Manager Paul, Gary in the restaurant, Lisa on reception, and special mention of Elisha, manageress who was so efficient, friendly and helpful. The food in Gillies restaurant is excellent and very well priced - recommend the rib eye steak and the sea bass.The spa is well designed and exudes quality. Hot tub lovely particularly in the rain and overlooking the fast flowing river. It looks small, but can hold eight comfortably. The pool has a wealth of different massage features in it and the temperature is extremely comfortable, The relaxing warm beds (perhaps a little too warm) have a wonderful view of the river and was particularly striking with the autumn colours. There is a really well equipped gym, albeit that we didnt see anyone using it. One of us went for a couple of treatments which they said was really good - the rest of us found the spa facilities so good that we didnt need any extra pampering. The only criticism we would have would be the refreshments offered in the spa area. Banana chips and dried apricots doesnt do it for me - they need to take a trip to Farnham Estate in Cavan where fresh melon/pineapple/strawberries /kiwi etc are on offer and beautifully presented - probably wouldnt cost a lot more but seems so more special and would be more fitting for the high standards that is evident everywhere else. We did have a problem in getting coffee at the refrreshment area in the spa- we brought it to the staffs attention and were told it would be sorted. Still wasnt sorted the following day and when we mentioned it we were told they were out of the little nescafe coffee capsules but they were on order and wouldnt be in until Monday. When I suggested that they borrow some from the hotel/or bedroom trolleys etc .I was told rather bluntly (but may have been her foreign accent) that this was not possible as the spa and hotel were two different entities. I still thought that to borrow the coffee would have been an accceptable solution or that they should get some coffee sent down. I was told that if I wanted coffee I would have to go to the bar and pay for it and I told them that I found this very impractical as we were all dressed in our spa gowns and slippers. One of us slipped up the stairs and got some of the coffee packets from the bedroom and had just finished our coffees when the next thing a pot of coffee arrived for us ! The staff member had obviously decided to be a bit more solution focused, and therefore turned a negative into a positive. When we mentioned this to the restaurant manager later he said that the spa and hotel were not two different entities and there should not have been a problem. It was a small niggly little thing which to be honest did not impact that much on our enjoyment but feel that it the hotel should be take it as constructive criticism and to ensure it doesnt reoccur. The halloween decorations in the hotel and entertainment in the bar was really excellent - the staff had their own halloween party on the sunday night in the Great Hall, which Paul the manager suggested we go in to see the decor etc - it was really good and made us decide that we would return same time next year. Two of the group decided to extend their stay for a futher night and got a very good rate for an extra night with an upgrade to a superior room which was really lovely and probably worth booking if you were there for a romantic break. The grounds of the hotel are really nice for a walk, and Ballymena has a very nice golf course and/or good shops if you can bear to leave the wonderful surroundings of the hotel. We have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to all age groups, and we will definately be back,

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2009

Stayed in this hotel recently and I must say it was a great experience.Although very busy the staff were friendly and attentive to all our needs.The Spa was amazing with views out over the river,I spent several hours in the outdoor hot tub looking down the river.
The Gillies pub and Grill had terrific food and an Irish band played late into the morning.
Definitely will be back.

Bangor, N.Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2009

Booked 2 double rooms for an overnight stay. My husband and one of our friends have birthdays on the same day, so we try to take a break at this time of year and also do some shopping. We have enjoyed stays at this hotel before. On this occasion however our friends arrived first, to learn that both rooms had been complementary upgraded and we had been allocated a Junior suite. This was an unexpected surprise which made the stay that bit more special. The facilities in the room were excellent, lovely bathroom, very comfortable bed, lounge area and a terrace overlooking the river. We dined in the restaurant, where my friend, who follows a gluten and wheat free diet, was very impressed with the helpfulness of the staff. We were sorry to have to leave after breakfast the following morning, however we are already discussing a return trip in the near future.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2009

We were travelling from the Antrim coast to Belfast and read that Gillies Grill and Tavern was a good place for a meal. While there, we looked around and decided to spend the night at the resort. The resort buildings are very stylishly appointed, classical at the old entrace to the manor, modern hunting manor for Gillies and modern woods for much of the hotel rooms. The room was very spacious and well designed. Our room was on the ground floor, facing the river. The off-season rate was reasonable for our late checkin.

All that said, there were a number of niggling, little issues that detracted from the experience: A few light bulbs were burned out in the room, the bathroom sink faucet was loose one had to be careful not to twist it sideways when turning off the water. The internet on TV controller was a lesson in frustration, with controls akin to drawing the Mona Lisa with an Etch-A-Sketch. Most of these would be isolated to this one room, but if that is the only sample you have...

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2009

I treated myself to a night alone at the Galgorm for my birthday during a 10-day solo trip around Ireland. I was very impressed with the spa facilities here, the pool was amazing and I loved the outdoor hot tub. I went on a Tuesday and had the entire place to myself! My massage and facial were very relaxing (note that the facial was done in a dark room, so if you are looking for a "serious" facial you may be disappointed).

I got a superior room and had a river view. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was amazing. The only down side was that I wanted to watch a bit of TV when I got back to my room, but it wasn't working and the man at the desk wasn't able to help - not a huge deal.

I went to bar for a few drinks, it was pretty quiet as it was a Tuesday, but the bar tender was nice enough to chat with me and I ordered some chips and a few pints of cider.

I think that is a great place to just relax, and would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballymena
Tullyglass House Hotel
Hilton Belfast Templepatrick Golf & Country Club
Leighinmohr House Hotel
Leighinmohr House Hotel
#3 of 6 in Ballymena

Been to Galgorm Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!