Galgorm Resort & Spa
  • Pool
Adair Arms Hotel(Ballymena)
TripAdvisor
3,701 results
All reviewsthermal villagegillies restauranthot tubgin barriver viewfour seasonsafternoon teadeluxe roomitalian restaurantroom restaurantthermal suitecomplimentary mini baroutdoor jacuzziphantom housecupcakesfrom start to finishturn down service
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My husband and I were recently invited to a private family function at Gillies at Galgorm and I had high expectations but sorry to say but it didn't quite cut the mustard. It was a BBQ for 40 people and looking at the menu online was priced at £15 per head. I have to say the quality of the beef burgers and sausages appeared to be supermarket bumper packs as not high quality. My husband asked for both a burger and a sausage but was told by serving staff either burger or sausage, not both, despite there being leftovers after everyone was served. Piri piri chicken strips were nice. Baked spuds, corn on the cob, and uninspiring salad completed the feast!!! Serving staff were pleasant enough, but it felt as though they were keen to get the whole event served and over with - bit of a delay due to a few latecomers. Also the prices of drink astronomical. One glass of West Coast Cooler £4:25; bottle of Barefoot rose wine £18 (£5 on offer in supermarket) - these hotels certainly get the arm in where alcohol is concerned.
The decor and layout of Gillies and rest of the hotel are fantastic - lovely location. This was our first experience at Galgorm and I would like to try out other areas of the hotel and it's services, but sorry the BBQ was not up to scratch.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank cazmuffin
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed at the resort for three nights recently. The resort is beautiful and the staff couldn't be more helpful. Our room had everything we could wish for in it and had a beautiful view overlooking the river.

The staff were extremely helpful, friendly and could not do enough for you.

Great selection at breakfast and food of a high standard. We ate in Gillies which had nice food and a lovely ambience.

The spa was luxurious and offered a large variety of amenities within a relaxed atmosphere.

We will definitely be returning next year.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dempster2014
Reviewed July 4, 2014

By the title maybe a rating of 5 would be expected, but one thing took away from the overall experience which I will get out of the way now. We visited in February and the public areas were freezing. We had afternoon tea and kept our jackets on, the bar area was cold, cocktail bar was cold, the river room restaurant had a number of blow heaters going which were well received during dinner. Hopefully this was just a problem they were having the days we stayed.

Now on to the good things, there were many!! We enjoyed the 2 night delight package which we thought was excellent value including 2 dinners, 2 spa treatments each and breakfast. We also decided to add afternoon tea on to start our stay, which was offered at a reduced rate during the online booking process. Liked the confirmations that came through for all our dinner reservations and spa treatments.

Excellent first impression on check in. We had afternoon tea first which was lovely and had left our bags in the car. Reception arranged for staff to bring our bags in while the concierge took us to our room explaining were everything was on the way. This reminded us of our stays in Mexican resorts, all we needed was our glass of bubbly!

Our room had a river view, was a good size and was very stylish with a lovely walk in shower. We could see the steam from the outdoor hot tub, our next stop.

The spa was excellent, especially loved relaxing on the heated loungers. The treatments we had were very enjoyable, Maine massage and mud serail. Second one gave us both a bit of a laugh, seeing my husband sitting covered in mud!

The food was fantastic. First night was in Gillies, had a mixed experience before, but this time food and service was excellent. A small problem with my dessert was sorted with courtesy and efficiency. The second night was in the River Room and the food and service here were outstanding. We thoroughly enjoyed our evening. Breakfast offered a great selection however my husband felt cooked items could have been warmer.

The best thing about this hotel is the staff. Everyone we came into contact with, even in corridors smiled and said hello. We felt very welcome and that they actually cared whether we were enjoying our stay. The staff are any hotels most important asset as happy staff mean happy guests.

We enjoyed ourselves so much that we are going back again for another couple of nights to celebrate my birthday, last time was my husbands. This time we will be trying Fratellis and having afternoon tea in the new conservatory, can't wait!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank schumilover
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Just back from an over night stay at Galgorm hotel. My three sisters & myself booked an overnight stay including evening meal & breakfast as a present for our mummy. She certainly wasn't disappointed. The grounds themselves are lovely. As soon as we arrived we were greeted by a lovely gentleman who took our bags and guided us to reception. The gentleman on reception, unfortunately didn't get his name, was so lovely. Really friendly and excellent at his job. Made us feel really welcome straight away. He sorted out a change of room as we had one less person in our party. We stayed at another lovely hotel in Northern Ireland in March but had a really rude welcome by reception and this put us off returning. We were shown to our rooms which were spacious clean with lovely views. The lovely smell from the spa as soon as you entered the lift. The few hours we spent at the thermal spa was so relaxing. Fantastic evening meal with a great choice. All staff in Gillies restaurant were brilliant. Really friendly bar staff in gillies bar as well. All in all an excellent experience and we have already been spreading the word and shall definitely be back! Great customer service.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Marianne K
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Having selected an overnight stay, in what is supposed to be one of N.Irelands premium hotels with a price to match 200 per night inc pizza dinner I expected a room with a view. I certainly got that.... A view of the building site that is the hotel extension works. I've no issue in building works at any hotel but at the very least they could inform you when booking. Wake up call was the angle grinder at 8:01am..
Meet and greet in the restaurant after a 2 minute wait in the reception was "Hiya, I'm only new here, wait to I get someone else who knows where your sitting"
Final straw...ordered dessert and both my wife's dessert and my own set in front of me and walked off" poor experience . Won't be back.

Room Tip: Check when booking if your room is on the building site side
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple