“Fabulous escape well worth a visit!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Galgorm Resort & Spa

Galgorm Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ballymena
Northern Ireland
“Fabulous escape well worth a visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a night away in the fabulous Galgorm resort and I cannot say enough good things about it. The service was outstanding, the surrounding idyllic, the food was delicious and the spa, oh the spa was just wonderful... Even if we did leave it too late to book treatments. Sitting outside in the hottub looking up at a cloudless sky with my hubbie was the best way ive spent a friday afternoon in a long time. The only downside was that the bedrooms and the whole hotel was very very warm. Slept the whole night with the windows open. But it wouldn't stop me going back.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PSmythGalgorm, Manager at Galgorm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear josparkles,

Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted that you so enjoyed your recent stay at the resort. The Spa and the outdoor pool in particular are very popular with all our guests and I am glad you were able to avail of these facilities. The setting is quite unique.
May I apologise with regards the heating. The combination of changeable weather and building efficiency does make it more difficult to regulate the heating across all rooms and all floors. All our rooms are now on Summer settings and will be consistently more comfortable.

I do hope that you can return to the resort soon.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was my third visit and it was heaven, we stayed in the junior suite which was spotless and the staff wer very helpful. The only thing I fault about the hotel is the heat, its too hot... no air conditioning either, its very uncomfortable, i cant imagine what it would be like on a summers day/eve. However...I love going to this hotel...Do not hesitate...book now!

Room Tip: The rooms looking out on the river are noisy if you have the window open but I suppose some may find...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear IrishNord,

Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I would also like to thank you for regularly using the resort. The Junior Suites do offer that little extra something and offer lovely views down the River Maine. Regarding the heat, in the changeable weather we did find it difficult to regulate the temperatures to suit all our guests. Room thermostats can turn the room heating off but differing tastes occured on a daily basis. Now that more consistant temperatures are with us, summer settings can be applied and rooms will easier to regulate and more comfortable.

I do hope that you can return to the resort in the near future

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I attended a hen party at the above hotel, we stayed in the log cabins. They were very clean and well stocked with delph. The beds were exceptionally comfortable, although I would suggest have two single beds in the rooms instead of double beds.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear 30 Maddy,

Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted that you and your friends enjoyed your stay. The log cabins are situated at the river side and are excellent for hen and stag parties. These log cabins do indeed have four small double bedrooms, which we feel would be a little small for twin beds. We do have 6, 1 and 2 bedroom, cottages which can be configured as either double or a twin .bedded rooms. I hope this information can be of use to you again and I do hope that you can return to the resort in the very near future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on the weekend of 5th April. It was our anniversary and when we arrived a waiter brought beautiful made cupcakes!! We had these on our balcony overlooking the river. We then went down to the spa which is just great the recent addition of the bigger outdoor jacuzzis make it even better. That eveing we had the 5 course Tastes of Antrim in the River Room, as usual the food was amazing, the service was perfect, it was heavenly - they need a michelin star Now!!!! We then went to our room were rose petals were placed on the bed.
The next morning we had a lovely breakfast, more outdoor jacuzzi and then home, Everytime my husband and I stay there we come home feeling completely restored, thoroughly thoroughly recommend

Room Tip: Get a river view room - well worth it with the balcony
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Charlotte O,

thank you for your kind review regarding your recent stay and I am delighted that you both continue to enjoy staying at the resort. The cupcakes are part of our guest delights were we have empowered our staff to identify opportunities to make our guests feel that little bit special. May I congratulate you on your anniversary.
I am glad you were able to relax in the new outdoor pool and had such a pleasant meal in the River Room. It would of course be wonderful if Chris and his team were awarded a Michelin Star as testament to all their efforts.

We look forward to your return

Northern ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Off the cuff night out turned to be expensive and dissappointing.....thought Id take the wife and daughter for a wee trip to Galgorm as we hadnt been for ages...now..I remember why..a beautiful place but only for the well heeled. On arrival (about 6.00)we were asked if we had a reservation...the room was not busy...after some consultation we were told we could have a table but we must leave before 7.30...waiting staff pleasant but very abrupt and difficult to understand ...anyways
food ordered..starters came..Delicious nachos , goats cheese but the ribs were meat less !! ...then just before the mains were brought out the waitress told us there was No Bearnaise sauce for steak ordered as main course....why ?? its a simple sauce to make ? food came nothing exciting ..poor presentation..no garnish .
..as it was now fastly approaching 7.30 we decided not to have a sweet...just as well cause it would have broke the bank !!
3 starters
3mains
3 sides
1 coke, 1 glass of red wine and a bottle of house white £106.35 scandalous........
locally sourced staff would be far more welcoming ....Rant over !!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TintoNorthernireland
Dear TintoNorthernireland,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and may I thank you for your kind comment regarding how beautiful the hotel is. May I, however, apologise for the disappointment you felt regarding your visit to Gillies. Although I do not have exact detail I can assume that it was a Saturday evening. Now although we do tend to be fully booked and normally have a table time of two hours, 1 and half hours was necessary in this instance to maintain the flow for the evening. Regarding the cost, again I do not have any detail regrding the menu items chosen. I can say however that the menu is very extensive ranging from £4.00 to £7.50 for starters and £11.00 to £26.00 for Fillet steak with trimmings. I do concur that it would be possible to spend £100.00 including drinks and wine depending on the menu items chosen but similarly would say that different choices would cost much less.
I do hope that you will visit Gillies Bar and Grill again in the future or maybe even try one of our other restaurants.

kind regards

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Myself and my fiancé spent last Thursday night at Galgorm for a wedding. It was the first visit for both of us and we were incredibly impressed by the beautiful grounds, as well as the decor of the hotel which was warm and inviting. The staff were wonderful - I wish that I had the name of the lovely lady who checked me in, as I was very disorganised and she was incredibly patient with me as I scrambled around looking for my bank card!

The room was big and comfy, especially the bed - it was like sleeping on marshmallows! That said, as our room was at the back of the hotel, our view wasn't the best, essentially overlooking part of the car park and the bins. However, when you take a walk down to the river or around the gardens, you can forgive a less than lovely view from your room - it really is a stunning location and very relaxing; I felt the city stress physically melt away during my visit and it reminded me of how beautiful Northern Ireland is, something we often forget when confined to the city.

The wedding was in the Great Hall, with excellent service and very tasty food. I was particularly impressed by the chicken main course, which was juicy and full of flavour; two things that are often lacking in wedding catering! I do have to say that the bar prices are incredibly high, at £4.10 for a pint and £4.50 for a bottle of Corona - I simply cannot see what could justify such extreme prices and, with a very standard array of spirits, I also could not justify drinking my usual tipple as it was over £6 for a vodka and mixer. This, I have to say, would be my main criticism of the hotel, and the reason I did not grade it as excellent, as it did impede on our ability to just relax and enjoy yourself - it's difficult to relax when it's almost £9 for two beers!

Breakfast was a generous and delicious buffet, with everything a fry lover could ask for. Everything was freshly cooked and had clearly not been left lying under heat lamps! The last thing I would say is that I find an 11am check out time a bit cheeky for such an expensive hotel - I realise that the hotel must have time to clean the rooms before afternoon check in but at £155 per night for our room, it would be nice to not feel so hurried out in the morning. Also, none of the bedrooms have door closers so they were constantly slamming, something that would be easily addressed and really improve the guest experience.

All in all, I would definitely return to the Galgorm and would love to spend some time at the Spa, which looked incredible. The grounds are just stunning, the rooms are comfy, the staff are warm and the food is excellent. Now, if only they'd reduce those drinks prices... :-)

Room Tip: I would definitely go for a river view room with balcony the next time, they looked stunning!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PSmythGalgorm, Manager at Galgorm Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear BelfastBabs33,

thank you for posting a review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay. A wedding is a very special occassion and we are very proud of the standards that we achieve in this field. I am glad you found the bedroom and breakfast to be of such a high standard. Sadly our drink pricing is very much comparable to our competitors and we do try to limit rises where possible. We do offer cheaping pricing in Gillies Pub to reflect it's posistioning. I am also glad that you will return to the resort and we look forward to welcoming you back.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Only my friend's wedding reception was being held at this resort I may have missed out on the little gem.
Often the service at weddings is far less than when you stay as an independent booking bar from it here at Galgorm. From the minute we checked in until we checked out we felt very at home and very welcome. Nothing was too much. Having special dietary needs is usually a hassle but not at the Galgorm. I was very impressed that they even sought be out at the wedding reception and I didn't have to ask for something special.

Would definitely go back.

Would recommend to anyone as a wedding reception venue or for a mini break away.

Only thing missing is allowing your dog to go too!

• Stayed April 2013
Dear 216lisam216,

Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted that you enjoyed attending the wedding reception. We do train our team to engage our guests and know how important a warm welcome is. It was our pleasure to cater for your specific dietry needs and we do hope that you can indeed return to the resort very soon.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballymena
Tullyglass House Hotel
No photo provided
Leighinmohr House Hotel
Leighinmohr House Hotel
#3 of 6 in Ballymena

Been to Galgorm Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!