“A sorry end.”

Galgorm Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ballymena
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I am a retired nurse and freelance writer. Last week my brother had his wedding at Galgorm. It was a very plush affair. The food was wonderful and service excellent. However we then retired to the log cabin we had booked last year. It cost us £350 pounds a night. It was freezing cold. The heating, the maintenance manager, told us was broken. There was frost and ice on my car as we spoke to him. My daughter is a very bad asthmatic. She has been ill since we returned and i am convinced it was because the cabin was so cold. My nephew who was sharing with us opted to sleep with his coat on. As a result of having no heat all night there was also no hot water for showers the following morning. I am disappointed that these aspects of our visit will spoil our memories of an otherwise wonderful day. Kim Martin.

Room Tip: Not a very child friendly place. Children not allowed access to swimming pool.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
PSmythGalgorm, Manager at Galgorm Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Ms Martin,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am delighted that you found the wedding occasion to be "plush" and "excellent". May I apologise to you, however, for the discomfort caused as a result of the heating system breaking down in the Log cabin. These systems are serviced annually and every effort is made to ensure they operate and I know every effort to rectify the issue was made once we knew of the problem. I can assure you that this is not indicative of our usuals standards. I do hope that your memories of your brothers wonderful day are not forever marred and hope that you could perhaps stay at the resort sometime in the future.

There are newer reviews for Galgorm Resort & Spa

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My chum and I were there on a "Two Night Treat " and what amazing value. We had a garden room overlooking the stables. Had an amazing breakfast, which kept us going all day, watched the horses being feed then ventured down to the spa, spent about 2 hours lounging about and used all of the facilities. ( it was especially lovely when it started to rain and we were relaxing in the outdoor spa ! ) I felt that we had really got good value for money and that was only after our first day ! Food in both eateries was excellent, staff very accomodating and I have booked to go back with my husband next month, (again using the " Two Night Treat " offer. Should also mention the bed.... I've never slept on a cloud before but if i ever get the chance this is what I imagine it would feel like ! Wonderful, light and fluffy.

Room Tip: Though the room in the back had a wonderful view of the stables, it was also the access point for de...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear linda399,

Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted you enjyed your time at the resort. It is indeed a special feeling sitting in the heated outdoor jacuzzi pool overlooking the River Maine. Our type of mattresses were a real find and have proved ever popular with many guests. I am so pleased that you will be returning to the resort so soon and we look forward to seeing you.

Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed here on Wednesday night with my Aunty and my mum in a triple room with breakfast for £135 which is excellent value. Our room was spacious and had a fabulous view of the river when checked in we all headed to the thermal suite area which never fails to impress me the long dark corridors with large doors all very grand and impressive the spa area itself is always in immaculate condition and extremely clean love going to the outdoor hot tub and to all the various rooms they offer. We then had dinner in gillies that night I had bang bang chicken food in gillies is always excellent accompanied by great service Christian was excellent. We finished our night with a little cocktail in the cocktail bar area by the river room after eight is recommended.
Thanks galgorm will be back again soon!

• Stayed: October 2012

dear zobo 1,

thank you for your kind review. We very much aim to provide value for money and I am delighted that you felt that was the case. We recommend that all our guests do try and use the Spa at Galgorm as much as possible during their stay. It provides aa array of complimentary facilities which are second to none. Thank you for your kind comments regarding dining and I have passed your sentiments onto Christian.

I do hope that you all can return to the resort in the very near future.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I booked this hotel as an overnight stay as a christmas present for my friend and as a bit of a treat for me too! Its a place we've wanted to go for some time now and the opportunity presented itself when joining their facebook page and getting a great last minute special offer. It didn't disappoint! Check-in was effortless, having prepaid before arriving all that was required was a few signatures. We stayed on the 3rd floor which is the same level as the reception and entrance to the restaurant, all literally within a minutes walking distance from our room. We stayed in room 325 which is right at the far end of the hotel offering views over the spa and fab grounds around it. The room itself offers ample space for a large king size bed, tv, desk, and table and chairs. The room is modern and offers everything you need for a chilled night stay. Theres a mini bar in the room to use as you wish however we had no price list and even when phoning reception within minutes of entering the room we still never received a copy of the price list before we departed which was a shame as we couldnt put this to use without knowing prices first. Bathroom amenities are plentiful with shampoo, body wash, conditioner and body lotion - everything you need to freshen up after a spa session! Now on to the spa area. We had full access to the thermal spa area which was fantastic and great opening times to allow maximum opportunity to indulge in the spa during your stay. We enjoyed every room offered including the outdoor heated pool which was my favourite! Its hard to find the energy to get up and ready for dinner when you're feeling so relaxed but its worth the effort! We dined in the Gillies restaurant which offered the best scampi I have tasted! the surroundings were lovely, and plenty of people enjoying their meals without feeling crowded. Well worth the tab at the end of the evening. A small word of warning, there were no allergy advice for deserts as there was for the mains. My friend has a nut allergy but very quickly spotted the nuts in the desert before eating and staff were more than happy to change to something nut-free without question but this is something you need to keep a keen eye on. Staff in the restaurant really are a credit to the hotel, very friendly and happy to stop and chat making sure you get the most from your stay. The bar just next to the restaurant offers a relaxed feel, great quiet atmosphere and a nice place to enjoy a drink before bed. My only niggle with the hotel (and i realise this is purely down to personal preference) was the pillows provided on the bed. These were rock hard and was uncomfortable to the point I got very little sleep. Most other hotels with a similar rating would normally offer a "pillow menu" which this hotel didn't which was a shame. When I return I know to bring my own pillow next time! A few other small things that I noticed with the hotel which if changed would bring it on par to other local hotels or similar hotel experiences we've had in Ireland include small things like charging for a travel shaver, toothbrush etc. Thankfully its a service we didn't need to use however in other hotels we have been offered these complimentary should we of needed it or not. The evening turn down service is very welcomed, especially getting an update on local news headlines and weather forecast, We were also offered a discount on a spa treatment on the information sheet provided with the turndown service and when we enquired about booking a treatment each we were told that between check out and the time available for our treatments should we wish to use the thermal spa area to wait we would be charged £15 per hour per person. I felt given we were guests who were also trying to make the most of the offer available to us perhaps having an extra hour in the spa area really would be at no big loss to the hotel in general especially if it resulted in a further £120 spent in the treatment rooms. Breakfast was a great fare offering a buffet style service with everything you could possibly want including eggs cooked to order.
All in all a wonderful stay, a few small very minor improvements would bring it up to par of similar hotel experiences we've had. With that said we still had a great time and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear lynz89,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, especially the Spa. I have also passed your kind comments on to the team in Gillies.
You have raised a number of valid points that I will certainly being looking into over the coming weeks. Feedback such as yours is invaluable in our endeavour to provide first clas, consistent service.

I do hope that you will be able to visit the resort in the very near future.

kind regards

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed at the Galgorm on wed 24th for a 1 night stay with meal and treatment .
Check in was great, spa treatments were wonderful, and the food at gillies was perfect,
The only niggle was the noise from the rapids on the river (room 304) pvc double glazing would cure it .

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Bobby W,

Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I am pleased that you were able to avail of the Spa and that you enjoyed your treatments.
The riverside location is a rather unique aspect of the resort and many guests marvel at the sound of whitewater flow. The windows were recently reglazed, but we felt it better to keep the original wooden frames for aesthetic purposes. Our newer wing, however, although still on a riverside location, is slightly further back from the rivers' edge and has incorporated modern, double glazed hardwood windows. I would therefore recommend that you request one of these rooms when, hopefully, you return to the resort.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed here on Sunday 21st Oct with the birthday girl and Frasmy's review is a fair reflection of our experience that night. In general, the Galgorm has a fantastic reputation, so my expectations were high. To be fair, the staff were friendly and very helpful, room was fantastic (river view with balcony), food was fantastic, and spa area was nice. The let downs at the Galgorm are the queues to check in, queues for breakfast, and queues to check out. Although the Spa area is very nice, it doesnt take too many people using it to make it feel busy. Due to the novelty of the outdoor heated pool and hot tub, I would expect that a lot of people are drawn to the Galgorm to make use of these facilities as both hotel guests and day spa clients. Therefore, you can expect the Spa area to be busy at all times.

The fact I feel that my visit was average, I doubt i'll be in a hurry to stay at the Galgorm again.

Room Tip: Upgrade from basic room and request river view to get a balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
PSmythGalgorm, Manager at Galgorm Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear MarkPoole2000,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I am glad that you enjoyed the facilities and room. May I apologise that you felt let down by the busyness of the Resort. Every effort is made to ensure that check in is a quick as possible, but on occassion queues can form if all guests arrive simultaneously. We do offer an express checkout service to expediate that part of our guests stay. Breakfast can again get busy towards the latter stages of service but again every effort is made to ensure waiting times are kept to a minimum. In the Spa residents are given priority and day spa availability is limited to help us manage the its' popularity.

I do hope you can reconsider and visit us again in the future

Reviewed October 25, 2012

My fiancé booked this Mid week over night stay for my birthday as we've booked to get married here next year and thought it a good opportunity to try the place out! Checking in the lovely receptionist was chatting to us and we advised her it was my birthday and we were checking the place out for our wedding next year...she checked us in and very kindly advised us that she'd upgraded us to a junior suite (!!!!) so we could get the full experience before our wedding :) our bags were taken to our room by a lovely concierge and 5 minutes later there was a knock on the door...we thought oh no they've came to take the room off us again...but no, it was a lovely member of hotel staff with 2 cupcakes to wish a happy birthday!!! Every member of staff we walked past on this over night stay greeted us with a friendly smile, the spa was amazing, and dinner was absolutely delicious!
Overall we've never been happier with an over night stay and we are so glad we are having our special day in such a wonderful, friendly, professional place :)

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Hannahbsb33,

Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted that you so enjoyed your birthday celebrations with us. We have invested alot in the training of our team and our whole customer service approach. and we appreciate how important the little touches are. I am also delighted that you have chosen Galgorm as the venue for your wedding. If I can be of any assistance during the planning stages please do not hesitate to contact me.

Operations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballymena
Tullyglass House Hotel
#4 of 6 in Ballymena
Leighinmohr House Hotel
Leighinmohr House Hotel
#3 of 6 in Ballymena

Been to Galgorm Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!