Galgorm Resort & Spa
  • Restaurant
Rosspark Hotel(Ballymena)
The Terrace Hotel(Magherafelt)
3,634 results
All reviewsthermal villagegillies restauranthot tubgin barriver viewfour seasonsafternoon teadeluxe roomitalian restaurantroom restaurantthermal suitecomplimentary mini baroutdoor jacuzziphantom housecupcakesfrom start to finishturn down service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I booked this hotel as an overnight stay as a christmas present for my friend and as a bit of a treat for me too! Its a place we've wanted to go for some time now and the opportunity presented itself when joining their facebook page and getting a great last minute special offer. It didn't disappoint! Check-in was effortless, having prepaid before arriving all that was required was a few signatures. We stayed on the 3rd floor which is the same level as the reception and entrance to the restaurant, all literally within a minutes walking distance from our room. We stayed in room 325 which is right at the far end of the hotel offering views over the spa and fab grounds around it. The room itself offers ample space for a large king size bed, tv, desk, and table and chairs. The room is modern and offers everything you need for a chilled night stay. Theres a mini bar in the room to use as you wish however we had no price list and even when phoning reception within minutes of entering the room we still never received a copy of the price list before we departed which was a shame as we couldnt put this to use without knowing prices first. Bathroom amenities are plentiful with shampoo, body wash, conditioner and body lotion - everything you need to freshen up after a spa session! Now on to the spa area. We had full access to the thermal spa area which was fantastic and great opening times to allow maximum opportunity to indulge in the spa during your stay. We enjoyed every room offered including the outdoor heated pool which was my favourite! Its hard to find the energy to get up and ready for dinner when you're feeling so relaxed but its worth the effort! We dined in the Gillies restaurant which offered the best scampi I have tasted! the surroundings were lovely, and plenty of people enjoying their meals without feeling crowded. Well worth the tab at the end of the evening. A small word of warning, there were no allergy advice for deserts as there was for the mains. My friend has a nut allergy but very quickly spotted the nuts in the desert before eating and staff were more than happy to change to something nut-free without question but this is something you need to keep a keen eye on. Staff in the restaurant really are a credit to the hotel, very friendly and happy to stop and chat making sure you get the most from your stay. The bar just next to the restaurant offers a relaxed feel, great quiet atmosphere and a nice place to enjoy a drink before bed. My only niggle with the hotel (and i realise this is purely down to personal preference) was the pillows provided on the bed. These were rock hard and was uncomfortable to the point I got very little sleep. Most other hotels with a similar rating would normally offer a "pillow menu" which this hotel didn't which was a shame. When I return I know to bring my own pillow next time! A few other small things that I noticed with the hotel which if changed would bring it on par to other local hotels or similar hotel experiences we've had in Ireland include small things like charging for a travel shaver, toothbrush etc. Thankfully its a service we didn't need to use however in other hotels we have been offered these complimentary should we of needed it or not. The evening turn down service is very welcomed, especially getting an update on local news headlines and weather forecast, We were also offered a discount on a spa treatment on the information sheet provided with the turndown service and when we enquired about booking a treatment each we were told that between check out and the time available for our treatments should we wish to use the thermal spa area to wait we would be charged £15 per hour per person. I felt given we were guests who were also trying to make the most of the offer available to us perhaps having an extra hour in the spa area really would be at no big loss to the hotel in general especially if it resulted in a further £120 spent in the treatment rooms. Breakfast was a great fare offering a buffet style service with everything you could possibly want including eggs cooked to order.
All in all a wonderful stay, a few small very minor improvements would bring it up to par of similar hotel experiences we've had. With that said we still had a great time and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
PSmythGalgorm, Manager at Galgorm Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear lynz89,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, especially the Spa. I have also passed your kind comments on to the team in Gillies.
You have raised a number of valid points that I will certainly being looking into over the coming weeks. Feedback such as yours is invaluable in our endeavour to provide first clas, consistent service.

I do hope that you will be able to visit the resort in the very near future.

kind regards

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed at the Galgorm on wed 24th for a 1 night stay with meal and treatment .
Check in was great, spa treatments were wonderful, and the food at gillies was perfect,
The only niggle was the noise from the rapids on the river (room 304) pvc double glazing would cure it .

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Bobby W,

Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I am pleased that you were able to avail of the Spa and that you enjoyed your treatments.
The riverside location is a rather unique aspect of the resort and many guests marvel at the sound of whitewater flow. The windows were recently reglazed, but we felt it better to keep the original wooden frames for aesthetic purposes. Our newer wing, however, although still on a riverside location, is slightly further back from the rivers' edge and has incorporated modern, double glazed hardwood windows. I would therefore recommend that you request one of these rooms when, hopefully, you return to the resort.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed here on Sunday 21st Oct with the birthday girl and Frasmy's review is a fair reflection of our experience that night. In general, the Galgorm has a fantastic reputation, so my expectations were high. To be fair, the staff were friendly and very helpful, room was fantastic (river view with balcony), food was fantastic, and spa area was nice. The let downs at the Galgorm are the queues to check in, queues for breakfast, and queues to check out. Although the Spa area is very nice, it doesnt take too many people using it to make it feel busy. Due to the novelty of the outdoor heated pool and hot tub, I would expect that a lot of people are drawn to the Galgorm to make use of these facilities as both hotel guests and day spa clients. Therefore, you can expect the Spa area to be busy at all times.

The fact I feel that my visit was average, I doubt i'll be in a hurry to stay at the Galgorm again.

Room Tip: Upgrade from basic room and request river view to get a balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
PSmythGalgorm, Manager at Galgorm Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear MarkPoole2000,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I am glad that you enjoyed the facilities and room. May I apologise that you felt let down by the busyness of the Resort. Every effort is made to ensure that check in is a quick as possible, but on occassion queues can form if all guests arrive simultaneously. We do offer an express checkout service to expediate that part of our guests stay. Breakfast can again get busy towards the latter stages of service but again every effort is made to ensure waiting times are kept to a minimum. In the Spa residents are given priority and day spa availability is limited to help us manage the its' popularity.

I do hope you can reconsider and visit us again in the future

Reviewed October 25, 2012

My fiancé booked this Mid week over night stay for my birthday as we've booked to get married here next year and thought it a good opportunity to try the place out! Checking in the lovely receptionist was chatting to us and we advised her it was my birthday and we were checking the place out for our wedding next year...she checked us in and very kindly advised us that she'd upgraded us to a junior suite (!!!!) so we could get the full experience before our wedding :) our bags were taken to our room by a lovely concierge and 5 minutes later there was a knock on the door...we thought oh no they've came to take the room off us again...but no, it was a lovely member of hotel staff with 2 cupcakes to wish a happy birthday!!! Every member of staff we walked past on this over night stay greeted us with a friendly smile, the spa was amazing, and dinner was absolutely delicious!
Overall we've never been happier with an over night stay and we are so glad we are having our special day in such a wonderful, friendly, professional place :)

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Hannahbsb33,

Thank you for your kind review and I am delighted that you so enjoyed your birthday celebrations with us. We have invested alot in the training of our team and our whole customer service approach. and we appreciate how important the little touches are. I am also delighted that you have chosen Galgorm as the venue for your wedding. If I can be of any assistance during the planning stages please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I'd always heard so many excellent reviews about this place that we thought we'd try for ourselves. The place is set in really lovely surroundings and I'm sure the spa areas that they are well known for is the same.

Our food however wasnt great. May started arrived at the table luke warm to say the least and the meat in my main courses dry and slightly tough. Desserts were fine, nothing outstanding that would make me want to return any time soon

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Dear charlotte o,

thank you for taking the time to post a review and may I apologise for your disappointment. I cannot ascertain as to whether you stayed nor which of the three restaurants you dined in but I have made your comments known to all. Perhaps you could contact me as I would like to discuss this in more detail. Feedback such as yours is invaluable as we strive for a high level of consistency throughout the Resort.
I do hope that we can talk and that you can maybe try one of our other restaurants in the future.

Kind Regards