“enjoable dining”

Ranked #9 of 152 Restaurants in Ballymena
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 11, 2014

have eaten here on many occassions and am yet to be disappointed food always excellent and staff vey attentive and polite would recommend the blackstone to anyone.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Took my friend here on Friday night as I know she is a real foodie & has been to some of the best eateries around the world. We were not disappointed, friendly service, food was amazing as always!
Could recommend the mussels & the Aberdeen Angus steak.

1  Thank swazzyb
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

I recently visited Blackstone on a trip to my friend.

It's aquaint eatery, very village orientated.

The atmosphere was amazing with great characters.
The food was well presented and tasted fabulous.

We arrived whilst there was a party and there was a slight wait, but as we were catching up it wasn't an issue.

The service was excellent and the food worth waiting for.

I can recommend the scallops and Angus steak :)

I was full so we didn't make it to dessert, but it looked scrumptious.

My next visit will be more dessert focused :)

2  Thank MissyeWorldwide
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Went to the Blackstone around 9 months ago and found it fairly average but decided to give it another try.
This time, while the initial drinks service was good, we waited for just over 30 minutes for our starters - which were of a poor standard: the squid consisted of a large bowl of salad with three rings of squid and a few prawns. The other starter consisted of two soggy filo prawns and a bit of chopped up scallop in a shell.
As we normally do not like to complain, we decided to let it it go. However when the main courses arrived, another 30 minutes later- one tough sirloin at £22.50 and a soggy bowl of scampi at £12.95 we had had enough. As a result of this, we sent the food back and found the manageress to be extremely aggressive and argued she could not replace the food as it was all the same and they had no other complaints about it!
As we left the restaurant we met two other diners at the door who agreed they had never had such bad service - and the gentleman said " I had the scampi too and could have wrung it out"
While we were not charged for the main courses and would have refused to pay for them - it still was an expensive night out - ruined. What a shame.

2  Thank Alphy G
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I have visited this restaurant many times in the past and have always found that while prices were towards the very top (the same as many Paris 5 star restaurants) the quality of the food justified the prices. Regrettably I (and my guests) were sorely disappointed this time.

We arrived at 1930 hrs prompt and were immediately shown to our table (the only one available) by friendly attentive staff.

Our orders were taken promptly and both the food and the drinks were served within a reasonable time-frame by friendly staff.

I had ordered Seafood Bisque for starters, however I was disappointed to discover that well over 50% of the content of the bisque appeared to be diced potatoes. The seafood was hardly in evidence and the taste and quality was such that I would not have been surprised if it had come out of a supermarket tin. We had also ordered a goats cheese souffle which had no real hint of goats cheese and was not as a souffle should have been. It was a small dried up serving on a large plate. The mussels were perfectly cooked however the chorizo sauce completely over-powered the mussels.

For the main course we had wanted to order rib-eye steaks and had chosen the Blackstone when viewing their online menu because rib-eye steak was on the menu. However the menu on that evening was different from the online menu with no rib-eye steaks. As a result all three of us ordered sirloin steaks to be cooked medium rare.

All three steaks were cooked precisely as we had requested, however the quality (dry and chewy) and taste (lacking seasoning) of the steaks was well below what we would have expected for the prices being charged. the Dunsilly Grill Antrim serves far better quality sirloin at some £5 to £6 cheaper.

In fairness to the staff I did not raise any of these issues at the time because the evening was a celebration and I did not want to spoil it.