“not impressed”

Leighinmohr House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ballymena
Reviewed August 30, 2013

hotel looked nice from lobby..room was tiny not very clean hairdryer was in drawer with blown fuse and there was a dirty towel in another drawer from previous guests..price was crazy for what we got..only good thing staff were lovely

Room Tip: room absolutely tiny..would not recommend staying here
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank murram

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were a party of 16 adults and 8 children. The food was great and lots of it. There was a seating area where the children could watch DVDs and play this was great as we didn't have to constantly tell them to sit down or be quiet. It was all very relaxed considering the size of our party and the staff were very helpful. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Mccannandrews
Reviewed July 30, 2013

to be fair i was warned in advance that this was a small double and i still choose to take it as a twin room is less than ideal when away with a partner but i literally could touch each wall when stretching sideways, the decor is in desperate need of updating in rooms but lobby looks clean and has character

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank newtraveller99
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I found our room in the Leighinmohr to be quite dilapidated and shabby looking. Paint was cracking and coming off the wall, and there were lots of little things that were broken around the room, like the bin, the curtain drapery, and a wobbly shelf. The room size was very small too. I'm aware that this is not a luxury hotel, but I expected a little more room for £75 per night. The sound insulation from room to room is very lacking; it's like the walls are made of paper. During our stay, we were kept awake through the night by some of our more 'nocturnal' neighbours.

In the morning the breakfast was fine. There wasn't a great deal of selection, but we were happy with the standard cooked breakfast. If you are hoping for anything else besides your bog standard cereals, you will be disappointed. The dining room itself seems to be a little small for the number of guests in the hotel, and my wife and I had to share a table with another couple. We noticed a thick layer of dust on the heavy curtains in the dining room that morning, and weren't particularly surprised. The staff are friendly and helpful enough.

Overall I think the Leighinmohr needs to close a few rooms at a time and get the handymen in, and consider updating a few of the fixings. For now I would not go back to this hotel, and would warn my friends off staying here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Dirty rooms - my toilet still had 'evidence' from previous guest and my bed cover was stained. Run down - peeling wall paper, broken bin in bathroom, broken glass window in communal area and there was an empty Fruit Shoot bottle in the fountain the entire time I was there (2days) which nobody bothered to move

Wifi doesn't work in the bedrooms - only communal area

Hotel has the feel of a run down retirement home which is a shame as it could be a great place with some basic attention.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Richardsonc
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed in this hotel on the 28th July. On entering the hotel all looked good. The staff are very accommodating and helpful. However when we went into our room all was not so good. The rooms need some serious updating and cleaning. There was ball of dust under the window where the cleaner hadn't hoovered. The bathroom floor was dirty too as was the carpet in the room. The only saving grace was that the bed linen was clean! I would not recommend this hotel to any friends, etc.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joanbyrne61
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I phoned a week or two ahead to ask about their WiFi and inquire as to if they were okay with me meeting a business partner there for a meeting as it's the halfway point between both our locations. It was my impression that we were welcome and I'd been there before for a group meeting and it seemed okay.

However, on arrival this did not work out at all. We headed to the dining area to take a seat and ask for coffee, and the young employee frantically hustled us out of there like we were carrying a dead body.

I appreciate the tables were perhaps made up for the next service, but it was hugely embarrassing to say the least when someone is shouting at you "You can't sit there!" and drawing attention. Reluctantly we were allowed a coffee in the lobby area. I'll never return as was made to look a fool.

I did not complain at the time only because with the recession on I did not want to be responsible if this person were to be put out of their job.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballymena
Tullyglass House Hotel
Adair Arms Hotel
Adair Arms Hotel
#5 of 6 in Ballymena
Hilton Belfast Templepatrick Golf & Country Club

Been to Leighinmohr House Hotel? Share your experiences!