“Great place for wedding venue”

and 1 more site!
Leighinmohr House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ballymena
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great place for wedding venue”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Recently held our wedding at he leighinmohr and can honestly say the service we received was first class. I was a bit worried when we seen the reception room for the first time as it was that big but the way they transformed it was simply brilliant. We organised our wedding from england, and if im being honest, If I had read some of the comments on here before the wedding we would have probably cancelled but this is unfair and I think the hotel and some staff members have come in for some unfair criticism.

Both Harry and gwendoline were outstanding and I can safely say that they contributed to a stress free and exceptionally organised wedding day. Nothing was too much for them and they reacted quickly to our high demands when we wanted things changed. Gwendoline made it very easy for us and both her and Harry were always approachable and always had service with a smile. From bar staff to reception staff they were faultless and went out of way to welcome everyone to our wedding. I would definitely recommend this hotel as a wedding venue. The only fault I would have would be with the rooms as we were not blown away by them- they were comfortable but seemed dated. If the hotel would spend a bit of money transforming the rooms it would be a truly great venue. The staff make this hotel and if you want a personal touch for your wedding ths is a great place- but if you want to stay in your room all day- this is not place for you- but in all honesty who does that at a wedding.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Murphy99_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My Cousin And I Had the Misfortune to Attend A Wedding Rception At This venue. As the Bridal party arrived at the hotel i asked GWENDOLINE the wedding planner if i could use confettiI. I was told in no uncertain terms this was not allowed. this information was given to me without the hint of a smile or apology..the meal served to us was not good and the manner in which it was served left a lot to be desired.! At the end of the meal another guest heard a member of staff instruct a waiter to put any remaining of wine behind the bar, . Guests who requested this wine were to be given it and any remaining wine was to be sold.! ! During the course of the evening our family sat outside in the seating area provided. this was due to the warm evening and because we could hear ourselves due to the volume of the music. this of course not the hotels fault,. We were prevented from bringing drinks from the bar out to where we were sitting by the same lady gwendoline.Again she was extremely rude and made us feel our custom was not wanted.!!! I would strongly advise anyone who is thinking of using this venu for their wedding reception go elsewhere!!!

Room Tip: Did not avail of accomidation
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank jilly989
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed here from 10th August for 3 nights. Cannot thank all the staff specially Harry, Shauna and Claudia, they made us all welcome and did their best to ensure the wedding party were well looked after. The rooms do need updating but the hospitality of the staff is what makes a venue good. Well done to them all. It is weekend I wish we could do all over again with the same guests and the same venue.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank tyson2_10
Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

As a family we checked in for my brothers wedding on Friday 10th August and stayed for 3 nights . There were a few minor hiccups with the room requests and the rooms are fairly tierd, however Could not fault Harry and his staff who could not do enough for you and resolved issues very quickly and efficiently and with a smile . Breakfast was table service and cooked to perfection . On the first night we sat in the bar which wAs very comfortable and the staff we're fab and always smiling . We chose to eat and were not disappointed with the value of the bar meals . The wedding itself was incredible and even the sun shone on such a perfect day . Photos were taken around the hotel and then everybody commenced to the function room . The room was huge and had its own entrance and bar. The meal was served quickly and food was hot and very nicely cooked . And tge staff turned the room round very quickly for the evening party . All in all yes the hotel bedrooms are tierd but it is probably something that the management are fully aware of and I'm sure when pennies are available refurbishment will commence however you cannot fault the staff for tge service they provide which will be lead via a good manager . Thank you Harry and team for making my brother and new sister in laws wedding continue without fault and make it truly memorable for tge right reasons :)

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Jeyzeee
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in this Hotel back in June. We were attending a function in a nearby hotel which might I add we stayed in only a few months previous and found to be an absolute delight in comparison. We arrived in the evening and made our way to reception, the receptionist ignored us for a few minutes before actually checking our details. We explained that we would be returning late that evening and so were told to ring the bell at the bar and we would be let in by the night porter.
We made our way to our room and were astonished to find the state of disrepair it was in. The bed was too short for even myself, and i'm only 5ft 4. There was an old musty smell in the room. The lino on the floor was grubby, there was a fire escape in the room with a big gap at the top where the wind whistled through. The bathroom was the size of a large wardrobe. We had to wait a few minutes after flushing the toilet before we could run the water.
When we returned that night we rang the bell as instructed and were let in by the night porter, however the receptionist was also standing in the lobby with her hands on her hips scowling at us, she then proceeded to warn us to be quiet as were other guests sleeping- there was just the two of us, highly unlikely we were going to cause a riot!!
After a rather uncomfortable nights sleep we left rather hastily the next morning, not even bothering to avail of the breakfast- I was afraid of what I might add. Would never ever stay again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ríoghnach N
Ballymena, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We recently visited the Restaurant of this Hotel for an evening meal - we have been many times before and have always had a fairly pleasant meal. On the past couple of occasions it has not quite met its past standards. Our last dining experience was OK but a couple of issues let it down. The waitressing staff was a bit more brusque than usual - I think hoping to get us out fast to get ready for the breakfast sitting the next morning. My husband had a gammon steak which was extremely salty (to the point of nearly being inedible). I had ordered a citrus tart with fresh cream and got a lime cheesecake with ice cream. As I usually like cheescake and given the desperation to get us out of the restaurant by one of the waitresses (this was at 8:30pm) I decided just to keep it. I wish I had not as the cheesecake was not pleasant and had the consistency of plastic. Overall OK, and of reasonable price, but a disappointment given our previous experiences of the establishment (used to do the best champ in Ballymena but just average now).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Claire M
Northern Ireland
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We hosted our daughters wedding here on 19 July 2012. Throughout the previous years planning the staff of Leighinmohr, and in particular Gwendoline and Harry, could not have been more helpful. As the nerves grew Gwendoline continued to be a voice of reason and calm!
We had many family and friends who had travelled from Scotland, Australia and England who stayed the night before the wedding and were joined by the rest of the family on the wedding night.
On the night before the wedding the late arrivals were warmly greeted by the staff and refreshments provided and the following morning the hotel put on a fabulous hearty "family" breakfast which gave us an opportunity to prepare for the day ahead.
The wedding itself was amazing - the ceremony and reception room was decorated beautifully and was an enchanting place for our daughters big day. The small garden area was perfect for photographs before sitting down to a lovely meal. Later the room was very quickly "turned around" for an evening of dancing and a tasty buffet supper.
At the end of the evening the night porter ensured that non-residents did not "gatecrash" the residents area making sure that those who had "hosted" their own wedding parties in their rooms during the day and early evening had to call it a day. Here's a tip I learned - if you have a ground floor room just drive your car up to the window and transfer the alcohol from the boot into the room - who would have thought! Just beware of the newly painted windowsills which may destroy your trousers!!! What a shame.
The accommodation itself (the bedrooms) is a little dated but very comfortable. (The decor is a leagacy from the previous owners). We also got a fantastic room rate for all our guests which included a full cooked breakfast! I know a couple of the rooms were very warm and it was a beautiful warm, balmy July night which I supose didn't help but overall my family were very content. It is an old building with lots of character and my understanding is that the bedrooms will soon be undergoing refurbishment. I can report that the bridal suite has already been updated and it is beautiful - great taste Gwendoline and good luck with the rest of the rooms.
Would I recommend Leighinmohr for a wedding - absolutely!
Sometimes glitz and glamour cannot make up for the personal touch - watching Gwendoline with her arm around my daughter wiping away her nervous tears more than made up for creaky, uneven stairs - thank you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank rutemoo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballymena
Tullyglass House Hotel
Adair Arms Hotel
Adair Arms Hotel
#5 of 6 in Ballymena
Hilton Belfast Templepatrick Golf & Country Club

Been to Leighinmohr House Hotel? Share your experiences!