“Friendly and helpful staff”

and 1 more site!
Leighinmohr House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ballymena
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Have just come back from staying at The Leighinmohr House Hotel and I have to say that some of the comments on this site are very unfair. We were attending a family wedding at the hotel. We were given a warm welcome on arrival and although early for checking in we were given our keys with no complaint. We had booked a family room. It was basic but clean and had plenty of room for all four of us. The only draw back was it was on the top floor with no lift thankfully our two kids were able to navigate the stairs themselves. The staff were courteous and helpful even during a long meal service. The night porter went out of his way to look for a much loved bear lost during the wedding reception and left it for us at reception. The breakfast the next morning was delicious. Checking out was quick and efficient. All in all we had a great stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JC_772

Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed at the above hotel over night as we were attending a wedding.
The staff are very helpful and the food was great. The rooms are very clean but really do need to be up dated. We had booked four rooms and really they were all of the same quality. The room we stayed in was very small and the bed didnt seem to be a standard double. When you turned on the bathroom light the extracter fan made an awful noise. We were all glad it was just an overnight stay .

Room Tip: There isnt any good rooms, even the honeymoon suite needs up dated
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank black1210
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Stayed here on Friday night whilst attending wedding at Tullyglass up the road. Judging by the half dozen cars in car park guests were nearly outnumbered by the staff.
We paid £89 for a double room which was tiny with a view over the roof of the kitchen.
The carpet in the room filthy and threadbare, tv unwatchable and ensuite small and crawling in tiny bugs.
Breakfast was reasonably good bar the deep fried potato and soda bread.
Can't say staff were particularly friendly and can't imagine how we ended up in such a dreadful room when the place was totally empty.
I suspect that this hotel relies on weddings to fill rooms and at other times gets a few guests as overflow from the other hotels nearby.
Don't stay there if you can avoid it!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CambridgeK
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Stayed one night in August and enjoyed it throughly.
The hotel is not the most modern or fashionable but still a good and comfortable place to stay.
Really nice bar with good atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Lucy W
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I will NEVER return to this hotel in my life purely for the fact I have never received such awful service in all my life, the place was a dive but my biggest problem was with the man who was running the building on the night of my 'stay' I have NEVER received treatment like that from anyone, I felt worthless with the way he talked to me and he is the type of man I would not want near me again as he was so rude, I won't recommend this hotel to anyone and I will not be shy in telling anyone exactly the type of treatment i received from him, DISGUSTED

• Stayed: August 2011
5  Thank Ellek92
Reviewed July 11, 2011

My daughter and I arrived too early for check in but was offered an alternative room which we accepted. The reception staff were very friendly and welcoming. We were shown to our room after asking for directions.

The room was clean and comfy if basic.Tea n coffee making facilities, TV, trouser press, shower gel, shampoo etc. The shower REALLY needs to be replaced as it took me 10mins messing about with it for the right temp! Very annoying! The room had a boring view but it was of no consequence to us.

After settlln in we went off to the Carvery..The food was amazing! The staff were so attentive. The array of food/dessert choice was immense! and the dining room was light and airy.

We used room service for our breakfast and the staff were polite, though forgot the salt, milk, spoons and had to do 2 trips before we could settle down and eat..but they were suitable sorry and this was soon forgiven. The breakfast was tasty.

The location is not good for those that want to 'party' nearby as it is in a residential area, but if you want peace and quiet the hotel is perfect for just that. You would need a cab/car to get to any sign of 'life'.

The hotel bar is small and cosy...the lobby is stylish..and the actual building is just gorgeous! but what made this trip so good was the service of the staff. They made us feel special and looked after.
but I have to be fair and state that my daughter is a minor TV celeb which became common knowledge as soon as we arrived at the hotel so I dont know if we were given preferential treatment because of this fact or not...but my gut instincts predict that the staff would treat everyone in the same way :)

Would I go back??? Most definately.. With bells on if I could choose aroom with a view and a shower

Room Tip: Ask for the best room, you may even get it
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SuzieLondon64
Reviewed July 9, 2011

My partner and i were travelling along with my sister and her partner for a wedding at a nearby hotel.
on arriving at the hotel we were told our bill had already been taken out of our account which i thought was very strange as no permission had been given to do so.
the room in which i was staying had no windows, only a fire escape door which we were afraid to open in case of alarms.
bedsheets were very basic and the bed was extremely small and uncomfortable. the decor was extremely dated and basic,
in the morning i attempted to go for a shower, the bathroom was dirty and the floor tiles were cracked. the shower head was jus that- a shower head lying in the bath, water was cold and the shower head had to be tilted a certain way to even work.
there was nowhere to hang the shower head- maybe because the roof was at a slant an i couldn't stand, therefore i had to sit down and shower (i am only 5" 3', never mind my boyfriend who is 6"7').

on leaving the room my partner and myself called into my sisters room, only down the hall, to discover they had a beautiful room, with beautiful tiled bathroom, power shower and a wooden framed huge bed. having paid exactlythe same price for the night you can imagine my outrage!! would not stay again in a hurry!!could not wait to leave.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
HarryMcMahon, General Manager at Leighinmohr House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

Dear Metbolt

Please excuse me for addressing you by your user name and not your own name.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay at the Leighinmohr House Hotel and would like to respond to your criticisms.

With regard to your payment being taken in advance, your reservation was made online and the rate of £39.00 per room which you were charged was only available if fully prepaid at the time of booking. This was clearly stated in the terms and conditions at that time.

Whilst I agree that some of our rooms are starting to show their age, I believe we reflect this in the room rate. We could of course charge a premium for the type of room which your sister had but we have decided not to do this.

I believe that you stayed in one of our attic rooms which indeed do not have windows but as you rightly point out, fire escape doors. I thought that I had spoken to your partner myself and told him that it would be ok to open the fire escape but perhaps I am mistaken.

It is most unusual for us to receive a complaint about the cleanliness of our rooms and I am sorry that you found your bathroom to be less than satisfactory. I will raise this with the housekeeping department.

The shower head is as you say just that. It is not intended to be used as a shower but rather for hair washing. For that reason there is no shower surround or curtain. Reception should have checked on your arrival whether you required a bath or shower. Clearly this did not happen and for that I apologise. I am at a loss to explain the cold water because our attic rooms all display warning signs about the fact that the water is very hot. I have checked it myself to-day and found it to be so. However, I accept that you did not.

I apologise again that you did not enjoy your stay. We do try very hard to provide our guests with an acceptable standard of cleanliness and comfort at a reasonable rate when they stay with us and I am sorry that we failed to deliver this to you and your partner.
Yours sincerely
Harry McMahon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballymena
Tullyglass House Hotel
Ballygally Castle
Ballygally Castle
#1 of 1 in Ballygally
Hilton Belfast Templepatrick Golf & Country Club

Been to Leighinmohr House Hotel? Share your experiences!