“Beverley AC annual presentation evening”
Review of Lazaat

Lazaat
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cottingham
Beverley
“Beverley AC annual presentation evening”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This review deals mainly with a review posted on the website earlier this week.
Beverley Athletic Club held their annual presentation evening at Lazaat for the 3rd consecutive year. The function was held in the Pavilion Suite and was attended by a record 125 members and guests.
The club absorbed some of the costs and charged £25 per head, to include canapés and a drink on arrival, a three course meal followed by tea/coffee, 2 bottles of wine per table and entertainment (disco). The club also arranged and provided table decorations, chocolates, mementoes etc. to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the club forming.
If I deal with the non food issues first:
The temperature in the room seemed fine unless there were variations throughout the area. A message to the event organiser could have remedied this issue.
The service was fine on our table although we will check on other experiences
The problems with the electrics were unfortunate and we will be seeking assurances from Lazaat that this will not happen again as the music was halted on 3 occasions. The electrics were remedied however and speaking to others that were there - they said that it did not spoil their enjoyment.
Regards the meal itself, I guess to a certain extent it is a matter of personal opinion and expectations. I have canvassed a selection of people who attended the night to seek their views on the quality and quantity of the food served. There was a general view that nobody expected fine dining and the quality and quantity of the food was perfectly acceptable, particularly in the context of the price, pleasing everyone with the menu choice and the needs of the function generally.
Perhaps the person making his/her views on trip advisor could come forward and contact myself, the event organiser or a committee member at Beverley AC so we could incorporate the feedback into the planning of a future event. We always review the evening ‘in house’ and with the relevant hotel/restaurant, taking action as appropriate to ensure our main social event of the year continues to be a great success.
The management and staff at Lazaat have always accommodated our wishes and we have always been grateful for their assistance.
AndyTate, President, Beverley AC

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Lazaat, Manager at Lazaat, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Hello AndytBeverley,

Thank you for taking the time to post your objective & balanced review and making specific response to the review by AB1004 posted on the 17th February 2013.

It was in all honesty very disappointing to receive such a negative feedback from AB1004.

I can confirm that we do have a very effective heating system in the Pavilion Suite and also that the dynamics and style of food for banqueting is very different to that of “Al a Carte” or “Fine Dining”. The remit is to provide good quality, hot, freshly cooked food to a large number of people within a 20 minute time frame and we believe that we “delivered” – so to speak.

I am sincerely sorry for the issue with the electrics – This is down to a faulty fuse box which has now being replaced.

I am delighted (and most grateful) for you booking again at Lazaat. You have my personal assurance that both food and service will be to level that we would be proud of and hopefully meet with reviewer AB1004 expectations.

Naveed Choudry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Hull United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My partner and i recently stayed the night at Lazaats hotel. The hotel has a wonderful welcoming feel to it and the staff were friendly helpful and courteous. The room was very tastefully decorated (wonderful bathroom ) and very cosy.
We had a lovely meal in the restaurant. The food was tasty well cooked and well presented. The staff in the restaurant were helpful, attentive and the service could not be faulted. The atmostphere in the restaurant was very relaxed.
We would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel and the restaurant. We have stayed in hotels and ate in restaurants that were far more expensive but did not meet the standards of Lazaats. i am very much looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Room 2 was a lovely room
Hull
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Friday night meal and found staff to be pleasant and welcoming and they didn't rush us at any stage despite us being the last diners for the evening. Drinks and food are well priced and when served is very presentable and worth every penny (stuffed aubergine starter was awesome). For two starters, two mains, one sweet, bottle of wine and 2 beers it cam to £71 which given the quality was tremendous value. We will be going again.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We were not residents and stopped for lunch only. We were the first to arrive in the restaurant. There appeared to be some rather scruffy workers sitting in the corner of the restaurant and we started to think that we had come to the wrong place. The said people stayed for a short time and then went off somewhere to work in the place - they were staff of some sort. This is not good practice on the part of employees in a restaurant! There was a limited but adequate selection of main dishes and desserts and the quality was very good. My one criticism of the food was that it was a little oily - not good if you are on low fat diet! Serving staff were attentive but some need a little education: when I asked what beers they had, because I could only see keg lager on the bar, the girl ran off a list of lagers! In short, they do not seem to stock any beer. They did have Singha imported lager which I can tolerate but at £3.60 for a half pint, I felt 'ripped off'. We may well return for the buffet but we will drink elsewhere first.

Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Myself and my partner attended the awards dinner for Beverley AC last night at Lazaat. Unfortunately... there is nothing I can say nice about the evening apart from the company on our table. To start off with, the pavillion where the event was held was way too cold especially for ladies who had evening dresses/ cocktail dresses on. Then came the nightmare of the meal... The bread roll if you can even call it that was tasteless and more similar to a teacake.. Way too sweet for a bread roll to accompany a meal. For starters we had tomato and mozarella salad which tasted of nothing, way too cold and was just disgusting. To make the worse matter we had no salt on the table, only pepper and pepper??!! Asked the waiter to get us some salt about five times then gave up eventually.. For main course we had breast of chicken with a herb dumpling (that clearly wasn't cooked) served with tarragon sauce again which tasted like soup more than a sauce... The veg was non existent definitely not enough for 9 people. Chicken cooked to death like inedible, dumpling inedible and sauce gross... Which left many people hungry on the table. The dessert was a chocolate fudge cake which was clearly bought in... Way to sickly sweet and dry. We did complain about the meal and asked if we could have some cheese and biscuits as we were terribly famished however the waiter came back straight away to say they had no cheese available! Following this, there was several power cuts through the night which spoiled the entertainment... Its no surprise that we couldn't wait to get out of there. For a meal which we paid £25 each, I can't say it was worth a penny! Never again will I ever go near the place again or recommend it to anyone!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank AB1004
Lazaat, General Manager at Lazaat, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Hello AB1004,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy the dinner at the Beverley AC Awards Event on Saturday 16th February 2013.

As a customer focused business it is disappointing to read your comment.

As a business we strive to maintain the high standards we pride ourselves on and we always welcome both positive and negative feedback to ensure that we maintain and of course improve the Lazaat standard.

I am very sorry that the menu items chosen for the three course dinner by the organiser did not meet with your taste and expectations. I can confirm that we have received considerable positive feedback from this event so far and the organiser has re-booked for next year. All of our food is freshly prepared on a daily basis, nevertheless I do appreciate your comments and we will use this as constructive feedback to improve our standards of service. All of your comments made will be cascaded to the team and will be discussed at our next management meeting.

Maurizio De Martino
Daventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

On arriving at the hotel the look from the outside was not all that impressive, however as soon as you walk into the reception area you knew it was not you average hotel. we were welcomed by lovely staff. Once we got to our room the initial impression was superb. It looked sumptuous and warm and classy, the bathroom/shower room was extremely well done with a fantastic walk in power shower. Once we had been in the room for a while and started to relax and actualy use the room we found the lighting very dim, no BIG light, just lots of small dim lighting. The bed was truely the worst i have ever slept in, making bad noises from the springs every time i turned over. The heating in the room was superb if you were in the arctic, we could not turn it down significantly to be comfortable so tried to open the window, this however was well and truely siezed up for some reason. This all meant an uncomfortable night was had. The following morning we went down for breakfast, looking forward to the full English breakfast, as you do when in a hotel. Once again the staff service was superb, its a shame the food did not come up to the standard of the staff. I enjoy my food and wont leave much but the sausages were inedible!!! having taken a bite of one i left them both. There was no bacon at all!! the mushrooms were not up to much either. On our return to home we received an email from Lazaats themselves asking us about our stay. I gave them the same report as i have on here near enough, praising their staff who were exemplry, their rooms were so beautiful but silly little niggling things let the overall experience down. The food!! well that is always the last thing you have in a hotel before leaving and should be of the highest standards, sadly it was not in my opinion or my partners. I was under the impression that this was a top hotel which is why i took her there. Yes it realy could be amazing if they could sort these silly problems out. What annoyed me was the fact that after asking me to write a review direct to them they still have not replied, nearly two months ago!!! I have been fortunate to stay in some very good hotels, some of which have a lower rating than Lazaats however did not have as many niggling problems. As my title to this review says, SUCH A SHAME, because if my issues were sorted out this could have been a brilliant hotel, well up there with the best. A huge well done to the kind, welcoming helpfull staff, a big let down to the management on your lack of customer service in not replying to me before now. Had you done so i would not have put this report on trip advisor. My girlfriend worked in hotels so knew a lot about the running and standards and what we should have expected from our stay.

Room Tip: Dont book room 2 and hope you have a better room than we did.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lazaat, General Manager at Lazaat, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Hello Philip H,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Lazaat during December.

As a customer focused business we strive to maintain the high standards we pride ourselves on and we always welcome both positive and negative feedback to ensure that we maintain and of course improve the Lazaat standard.

Your initial feedback review was posted to a Google Doc database and this is only used as a constructive tool to enable guests to express their thoughts anonymously. Therefore, we apologise that you did not receive a management response on this occasion.

We appreciate all of the comments made and we have already acted upon these pointers to improve our standards of service in relation to housekeeping and breakfast.

I would be grateful if you could contact me directly to discuss your review further.

Maurizio De Martino
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I've stayed here a few times. The rooms are usually amazing - spacious and tastefully decorated - but I got a lumpy mattress on my last stay (room 4). Great value Indian buffets on Tuesday nights. No cooked breakfasts during the week but the home-baked bread is a delicious alternative.The location is uninspiring but once inside you're in another world. An oasis of calm!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cottingham
Kingston Theatre Hotel
Kingston Theatre Hotel
#2 of 18 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hot...
#1 of 18 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Holiday Inn Hull Marina
#4 of 18 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Best Western Willerby Manor Hotel
Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel

Been to Lazaat? Share your experiences!