“A very good place to stay & eat”
Review of Kings Head Hotel

Kings Head Hotel
Reading, UK
“A very good place to stay & eat”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel over the Food Festival Weekend and found the staff very welcoming, the food (cooked to order) was very good and well priced.

A nice room with good bathroom, big towels and heated rail.

In the centre of Wimborne, tight parking behind the hotel. Shall certainly go again and will recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Wimborne, Dorset
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I celebrated my birthday on 7 October with my family. We arrived and found the table reserved for us by the window looking out onto the Square. We each ordered different meals and whilst the service was a bit slow (we were there for 2 hours in total) and the 2 fish orders arrived a good 10 minutes before the 3 other orders, we still enjoyed the relaxed ambience of the restaurant. A bit like having lunch in a restaurant in France where they don't stress about time or worry too much about the décor!!!
The food was very well presented and hot(!) and everyone enjoyed what they had chosen.
The staff were polite and friendly and we will definitely be going back.
I had breakfast in the Kings Head a few months ago and was impressed with that visit - hence the reason for choosing the hotel for lunch last sunday.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Kings Head Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for reviewing us, we always appreciate all your feedback at Old English Inns and constantly work hard to deliver service and value. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Inns soon.
Wimborne Minster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

As I write this I am still angry at the way I was spoken to by a member of staff, and cannot believe he speaks to customers the way he did. His name is David Gardner.
I called to book a table for lunchtime on Friday as 2 weeks ago when we walked in to have lunch all the tables were occupied, there were a few people eating but the majority of the restaurant had people sat at the tables drinking. As we had a limited time, we had no option other than to walk out and go somewhere else.

I have been eating at the Kiings Head for many years and never had a problem, we go every December for my birthday meal, I eat there frequently with friends and also go quite a few times on a Friday for lunch.

After calling today and asking if I could reserve a table I was very rudelly told that you cannot book a table at lunch time, I explained that on our previous visit we couldn't get a seat in the Restaurant and had to go somewhere else, I was told that they ALWAYS have seats available, I tried to explain that this wasn't the case, when again I was shouted at and informed that I was a liar, I was also told that you cannot just have a drink in the restaurant only meals, I accept that some people had eaten a meal and were then drinking, but I tried to reason that they are turning away customers as there are no tables available, again he spoke with agression, was rude, unhelpful and generally lacking in any customer service skills!! To be spoken to like I was is really unacceptable, at the end of the day I was only trying to reserve a table so I could have lunch!! This man either needs firing (there are plenty of people looking for a job - with better manners) or a customer service course, either way he has ruined my opinion on the Kings Head and unless they reaplce this nasty man I will NEVER eat there again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Fairy_Dust_2012
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Kings Head Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
I would like to apologise for the experience you had
attempting to book a table at our hotel. The issues you raised
are not reflective of the usual high standards of service
Myself and my team pride ourselves on. I will be investigating this
incident further and dealing with the issues you raised internally.
I would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you and can
be contacted at the hotel directly. Please ask for Adam the
General Manager. If I am not available immediately please leave a message
and I will promptly return you call.

Travelers are raving about these Wimborne Minster hotels

Sussex
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel numerous times and although we have always considered it "tired" the location and breakfast have made us return. Unfortunately, it is now beyond tired and is distictively shabby. The wall paper is peeling off and the dining room is very grubby. My husband had two long hairs on his side of the breakfast table and my side was sticky, the sugar bowl was dirty. We were very early for breakfast, so this was not from the previous guest. Dust covered all the surfaces and had been there for a long time. Breakfast was disappointing.
We had a room on the top floor, where we could not open the window because of the noise from the air vent two floors below. The lift could not be called from the top floor, you had to ring down to reception and then hope that the lift was not taken by someone else, before you got there. The room was adequate, clean and with a very comfortable bed, with excellent white linen. The location of the hotel is excellent, right in the centre of Wimborne, but we will have to look for alternative accommodation in future.

Room Tip: Ask to be located on a lower floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Kings Head Hotel, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
We are sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to
your expectations and the usual standards we set
ourselves at the Kings Head Hotel. The hotel is part of the
on going refurbishment programme being undertaken by
Greene King where many of the issues you raised will be
addressed. Thank you for your feedback.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We really enjoyed our 2 night stay in this hotel and found the staff very amenable and helpful. We found the breakfast menu and service very good and the ambience of the dining room in the morning and evening a pleasure. We weren't rushed to leave the table even after finishing our meals. The food was excellent and a very reasonable price, thanks to the various offers and specials.

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room but even if at the side or facing on the square, we don't think Wimbou...
1 Thank CeebeeNorfolk
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Kings Head Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, we always appreciate all your feedback at Old English Inns and constantly work hard to deliver service and value. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Inns soon.
Bingley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

A family wedding coinciding with the Bournemouth airshow limited our choice of where to stay. Having read some of the reviews we were a little aprehensive but despite the tired decor, worn carpets and crumbling windows, the room was very clean and comfortable and the staff superb. After a long drive, we had an extremely good dinner and the breakfasts were among the best hotel breakfasts I've ever had. Wimborne is a delightful town and we will certainly return and not hesitate to book in at the Kings Head.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

I love this hotel, the staff are so friendly and helpful especially the assistant manager David who finds nothing is too much trouble for him.
They serve breakfast up until midday, how civilized is that ?
The only problem is they can't seem to be able to serve the toast with the breakfast, it either comes first and gets cold while'st you are waiting for your food or it comes ages after your food which means that if you like to eat it all together then the food gets cold.
I only had dinner once, poached salmon which wasn't all that but wasn't expensive so I suppose you get what you pay for.
Next time I go to Wimborne I will definately stay there, in fact I have already made my reservation.

• Stayed September 2012
OldEnglishInns, Owner at Kings Head Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel.
We do value all comments good and bad and take great pride in offering the best possible experience for all our guests. We look forward to welcoming to back to one of our Inns very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wimborne Minster
Thistle Poole
Thistle Poole
#6 of 13 in Poole
Holiday Inn Express Poole

Been to Kings Head Hotel? Share your experiences!