Tripadvisor

Kings Head Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Table booked for 4 adults at 6 pm, we arrived early, the dining area wasn't busy, we ordered quickly, after 3 reminders, food eventually arrived just before 7 pm, show at Tivoli started at 7.30 pm, not much time to eat!! Three of the meals were OK but nothing special, the fourth was crispy chicken, when it arrived, it was a very dark brown in colour, nearly burnt, dry and tough, even the knife couldn't cut it. As someone who likes cooking, I reckon it was deep fried and forgotten about.
The staff were not very helpful, one said that the food was being plated up, it was a good 15 minutes later after another enquiry, it arrived. The chicken dish wasn't charged for.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (222)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We went for a pre theatre meal on 24 January. Had to chase our meal several times and it eventually arrived after 45 minutes.
Extremely disappointing food. Overcooked and unable to eat much of it. Left a nasty aftertaste.
Have not had any problems before but definitely won't be going back.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed January 11, 2020 via mobile

There was a long wait to give food order, limited choices to what was on menu then 50 minutes until food arrived.
Apparently a lot of staff sickness so could not blame the staff who were working.

1  Thank Jackie E
Reviewed December 19, 2019

Have eaten at the King's Head on previous occasions and it's been fine. However, the recent pre Christmas dinner I had with a group of friends was a complete shambles. Except for the Christmas tree in the corner there was nothing to indicate that it was Christmas, eg, no crackers er Christmas music. At each course, there was a significant wait between the first and last person being served.Some of the dishes were not as described in the menu and not all of the accompaniments that arrived were the same as what we ordered and there was not enough cheesecake for all of those who had ordered it. This was despite of us submitting our menu choices a few weeks in advance The food itself was fairly mediocre; the salad that came with my goat's cheese tart was wilted and tired and the custard with crumble was cold. There are several better eating establishments in the area, so we will not be visiting the King's Head again!

Reviewed December 17, 2019

The warning signs were there. Unable to book table on line so tried to make booking on phone. Had to leave message for someone to ring back. No-one rang me back so had to ring again. Eventually, after several attempts I got through and the lady on the other end was full of apologies and couldn’t understand why my call had not been returned. Table booking made, we turned up last night for our usual post Carol Service meal, to be led to a table which had not been wiped down properly from the previous occupants. The table was sticky and the serviettes were damp with spots of liquid on them. Before the waiter even brought us the menu he explained that many of the dishes were unavailable. He was not exaggerating. All that was on the menu were a few burgers and pies. Everything else had been crossed off. Not to be defeated we all ordered pies. Mine was a vegan mushroom pie serviced with chips and peas. When it arrived the waitress apologised that the chips were not vegan and hoped I wouldn’t mind Luckily I am not vegan , I only had the pie as it was the only thing on the menu I liked. My husband and friends had the lamb pie. The lamb in the pie was inedible, so undercooked and fatty and chewy. We tried to make the best of it. When it was time to order desert, There was a choice of 2 pies, apple crumble pie or rhubarb crumble pie or ice cream. My husbands apple pie was red inside, goodness only knows what was in it, but it definitely was not apple. The pastry was ROCK hard and burnt and there was the most horrible stale smell coming from it. He refused to eat it and the waitress did agree to take it off the bill. My friend ordered ice cream which never arrived, so that also had to be taken off the bill. When it was time to leave, we told the waitress how disappointed we were, and she told us that the problems were caused by there being a new chef and it was his first night. Did she think we had come down with the last shower of rain. We were so disappointed as we have eaten there many times in the past and there has always been a jolly lively atmosphere. Last night, no such luck. Empty tables, no happy folk around, something had gone very wrong with the Kings Head. I doubt now we will ever go back there for a meal. Such a shame as we have always had Lovely evenings catching up with friends for a Christmas get together following Carol Service at the Minster.