“A very friendly welcome”
Review of Honeybrook Farm

Honeybrook Farm
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A Traditional, Working Farm. We open to the public offering lots to do for children and families. Honeybrook is also a Beautiful venue for Weddings, Parties, Special Occasions and Events. We too run Wild Skills Adventures for children and young people as well as Workshops and Adult Courses in Traditional Crafts. Open seven days a week 10am - 5pm. No need to book in Easter and Summer School Holidays (much to contrary belief!) In the future we may introduce a system in the colder, quieter months whereby we would ask that you call in the morning to inform us of your visit so we can ensure we have everything open and running for you. However we would never turn you away! For a Family Day Out - River Trails, Farm Animals, Pets Corner, Tractor Rides, Pony Rides and Grooming, Adventure Play Area, Big Bouncing Pillow, Water Splash Pad, Soft Play Barn. The Wonkey Goose Cafe sells freshly ground coffee, teas and hot and cold food. Workshops and Craft Courses. Children and Young People: Wild Skills - Learn exciting Outdoor Survival Skills! Tie knots, track animals, build a den, light fires, forage for food, skin a rabbit, gut a fish and get cooking on your open fire. Watch Ranger demos and get hands on - A sense of Fun and Appropriate Clothing is the only requirement! Day courses in Traditional Crafts such as Pole Lathing, Clay Cob Oven Building, Introduction to Blacksmithing, Foraging, Porcelain Flower Making and many more. A Popular Wedding and Party Place - The Great Barn has a registered Ceremony Room and Bar, the Orchard is a beautiful spot for a Marquee if that is preferred and the Stone Circle next to the River is a magical place for a Handfasting - with vintage wagons, tractors and horses it is an ideal venue!
Reviewed July 14, 2014

The greeting we got on arrival and departure from this farm was lovely and will make us return. All the staff we encountered were friendly and very helpful. It's a lovely small farm with plenty of things to do as well as looking at the farm animals. There is also a pleasant river walk and lots of different places to have a picnic if you don't want to use the restaurant or coffee shop. Lots of tables provided.

All reviews
"play equipment"
in 6 reviews
"water jets"
in 3 reviews
"plenty of picnic benches"
"pond dipping"
"lovely place"
in 8 reviews
"nice cafe"

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I was really looking forward to this visit. We had planned to spend the day here with our two year old and my mother who was over on holiday.

After checking the website beforehand, we decided to go on a weekday and enjoy the beautiful weather. The website is great but unfortunately in reality the place leaves much to be desired.

"Ice cream parlour new for 2014" - didn't see this anywhere
"Wonky Goose Restaurant" - not open on weekdays - but didn't say this on the website.
"The Great Barn Café" - worst service - I will explain below
"Farmhouse Tea Rooms" - couldn't find these, or they weren't open

We actually purposefully did not pack a picnic lunch with the intention of eating at these very nicely described eateries, only to find on the day that the only one open was the Big Barn Café. This was really disappointing!

When lunch time came, I had a look in the big barn café and saw a really poor choice of food. I asked if there were any other places to eat on the farm, as I checked the website prior to coming and was told that only the Café was open on weekdays (this was not mentioned on the website)

So with no food and a family to feed, we had no choice but to order from there

I saw that Paninis were on the menu (either that or toasted sandwiches) and decided to order 3 paninis. A conversation occurred in front of me about my order between the person at the till and the person from the kitchen, as if I wasn't present. The conversation went as follows

Counter staff: (opens fridge) "We don't have any mozzarella paninis left"
Kitchen staff: "did you want Paninis? We do have some"
Counter staff: "Not mozzarella ones. Well, there are none already made up"
Kitchen staff: "its not a problem, I can make some up fresh"
Counter staff: "Don't worry about it, just make them toasted sandwiches"
Kitchen staff runs back to the kitchen
Me: "Are you guys talking about my order?"
Counter staff: "Yes, why?"
Me: "I ordered Paninis and you told him not to bother making them, but to just make me some toasted sandwiches. I would prefer paninis as that is what I ordered and he said he could make them"
Counter staff: "Oh, okay, I will ask him to make some paninis instead"
(he runs off)

Another person is behind the till now and I decided to order something for my 2 year old. I asked if they did any toasted sandwiches for kids and was told no, "all the kids sandwiches are over there" (pointing to the shelf opposite me). I said, fine, I will just have a kids lunchbox

After paying, I went to get a kids lunch box and the guy behind the till said he only charged my for a kids sandwich. (Even though I asked for a lunch box).

I asked for the sandwich to be toasted, and they did this, despite saying they don't do kids toasted sandwiches. At this point I was confused and frustrated by the lack of basic customer service.

Anyway, food order came, and we went to collect. I saw they had made toasted sandwiches, despite the whole conversation that happened earlier. I said "I asked for paninis" and was told, "sorry, we don't have any paninis" <As I was told this, they were toasting two paninis for another order, and serving another lady her Panini>

The guy behind the counter laid all the plates of food and drinks on the counter - 4 plates, a juice and some other drinks. I had to ask for a tray, as this was not even provided, even though he could blatantly see it would take about 3 people to carry the order!

To add to this, while this was happening, there was a group of employees, in there, most of whom were standing around leaning on the shelves on the customer side of the till. The one older blonde guy was trying to do everyone's orders on his own, and had to ask for help!

Regarding the safety issue...

On the way in through the pathway, there was a large metal lamp post, about 12 feet high with spotlights on it. This was situated right next to the pathway leading up to the entrance. When I approached, I could clearly see it was leaning right over the pathway. My family had already walked under it along the pathway, but I stopped to have a look. The metal pole was strapped to a short wooden post, which had clearly rotted away, and was BALANCING / LEANING on a small branch of the bush / hedge next to the path. I noticed this straight away, and decided to try and see how sturdy this was. As I touched the post, the whole thing fell down. I had to catch it to stop it falling on me! I am a fairly strong guy, and do weightlifting, and I can tell you, this pole was heavy. If this fell on an adults head, let alone a childs, it could have killed them!
I moved the post and laid it on the ground as this was safer.

I informed the staff at the entrance, and they didn't even seemed concerned about it. No apology even.

I could go on and on, as the farm lacked a decent amount of animals. Pets corner was merely some rabbits and guinea pigs...

This place has a lot of potential, but has a long way to go. They need to jack their operation and their staff up!

3  Thank Graeme S
Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

We went to Honeybrook last weekend in mid May & we had a great time.Its a great place to have a relaxing time with the family which is also good value & although theres not loads going on its big enough to find a nice quiet spot for a pic nic. I dont think I would rate this place for an entire day but for 1/2 a day it was nice.I would say you will definately need some good weather for Honeybrook.Theres a small shop for ice creams,tea & coffee which was reasonable.The kids loved the animals & tractor rides the best.

1  Thank RobChristchurch
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We had a fantastic day out at Honeybrook Farm with our twin one year old boys. Spring's such a good time to go with so many baby animals on the farm, they especially loved the baby goats and had a great time in pets corner where they got to stroke the pony's, rabbits and guinea pigs.
All the staff were very welcoming and clearly loved the farm, thank you everyone who made our day so special.
Excellent value for money and will be going back.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 5, 2014

we returned to honeybrook farm after a previous visit which we really enjoyed to be told the price was £15 for a family of four which had doubled in the matter of a few months , we were shocked at the price increase as there were no visible signs at the entrance or reception desk showing the increase , I do agree the price increase was needed BUT such a large increase is excessive , as it was a bank holiday and the weather was good we were rather surprised how empty Honeybrook farm was since our previous visit which was very busy , even though the price increase will make you money as you are doubling your money per family, the lack of visitors from previous years surely the farm will be losing money , as you had to sell hot dogs and burgers from the bbq at half price as no one was buying as they were too expensive eg cheese burger £3.20 , also we found the feeding of the lambs and calves was chaos , surely a simple railing system (one way in, one way out ) would allow every child should have a go at feeding as the little ones were being pushed out , apart from these issues we had a pleasant day , it would be a shame to lose this attraction due to lack of visitors,

3  Thank s0ggy7