“great start for new landlord”
Review of The Old Thatch

The Old Thatch
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2013

this is the first time we have been to this place in a long time.we heard that a new landlord and his family have just took over .the food and service we had was faultless the place itself is tired and needs a bit of a makeover and hopefully the brewery will back this guy and his team.we strongly recommend that people visit it.

2  Thank gazza2303
There are newer reviews for The Old Thatch

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We have been to The Old Thatch regularly for several years. It has been a bit of a roller coaster with various management changes but the recent management (I think a family) moved everything in th right direction. They spent money improving the decor, sanding the tables etc and quite apart from that improving the menu.

However another new change of management sees the menu go back to basics (Wetherspoons style) and although prices seemed reasonable it was nothing to write home about.
The pub itself is charming and could be soo much better than this ... Try The Langton Arms as an example. Sadly not though, The Old Thatch new management has decided to go downmarket with their menu.

I always say that whatever grade of food to are trying to serve (basics or cordon bleu) then being the best at it in the area will mean you do well. Sadly this is Wetherspoons territory The Old Thatch find themselves in and you have a hard act to follow on price and service when taking them on.

We won't be returning.

1  Thank smithn05
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Had lunch here on a Thu and had two main courses for total of £9.99! Great value. The pile of Nachos with chilli was amazing. Could not finish it all. Lovely pub inside. Roomy. Good areas to sit outside too if sunny. Beautiful ancient old wooden door on wall inside. Amazing carvings.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

This was booked by another member of our party for a mid-week family birthday and I was slightly worried as I had heard mixed reviews but I can honestly say it was a great experience.

The menu is pretty basic but very well cooked and presented which is what I want from a place, we made a couple of amendments to what was listed and these were handled excellently and the meals came exactly as requested.

Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their food and desert was really impressive. I asked for additional custard (as a native Northerner there is no such thing as too much custard) and this was delivered with no problems, questions and some good humour.

With 4 meals, 4 deserts, a bottle of decent wine and beers the whole meal was just over £60 which is really good value.

In fact we enjoyed it so much that we are going back tonight (Thursday) to try out the quiz.

1  Thank PurpleLime
Reviewed August 2, 2013

For over a year now, every Thursday we have been to the Quiz night that the Old Thatch has hosted. Being to a few local pub quizes in my time, I can honestly say that this one is the best one I have been to and it is all down to the quiz master (Dave), who really involves the teams and is really out going.

He puts a lot of effort into his quizzes and as well as the normal question and answer type of questions, he includes a Picture Round, Music Round and a 'Run for Fun', where the first person to run up to him with the right answer wins a box of chocolates. The prize fund is good aswell ranging from £100-£500 if you win.

Before these new owners, the food wasn't great, a few times we were waiting over 1.5 hours for our food and they were really under staffed, and some of them I feel were a litte rude, which is unnacceptable. The only reason our teams would go would only be for the quiz. However, recently I have been really impressed with how things have changed.

The food has improved so much! The 2 meals for £10 are a very good deal and they have more friendly staff on a thursday's. These new owners seem to be kicking this place into shape.

If anyone is local and enjoys pub quizes, please go. You may have to ring and reserve a table as it is really popular, but you will not be dissapointed. The quizmaster makes this pub a very special pub.

1  Thank Thomas M