“Brilliant Meal but Parking Hassle”

The Three Legged Cross
Reserve a Table
Bookatable
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Three Legged Cross in Verwood is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed January 20, 2020 via mobile

We arrived early at the pub, which was actually a blessing as it took us ages to phone the silly car parking company to pay £1! A service charge of 25p for a terrible service wasn't well received either.

We were not in a great mood going in and hoped the pub could redeem itself, which it did. The food was sublime and the waitress we had was extremely friendly and engaging.

All dietary requirements were catered to and everybody enjoyed their meal.

Date of visit: January 2020
GeneralManagerAA, Owner at The Three Legged Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Toptraveller18, we are very happy to have provided you with such a positive experience! we hope to see you again soon and have taken on board your comments about the car park,

Many Thanks Again

Write a reviewReviews (676)

Reviewed January 17, 2020

We have been going to the Three Legged Cross about once a month for the last year and it has been a pleasurable experience every time...
We went for a meal on 17/01/20 and it was not good. I think maybe they have changed chefs and waiting staff, the food was not a patch on what we had been getting, and the waiters were very amateurish...
We started with a sticky sharing platter..TAKE MY ADVICE, DO NOT ORDER THIS.. it was diabolical, obviously all out of the freezer and the items that actually had a taste were terrible, what a waste of money.
Main course was battered fish which to be fair was not to bad, and the twelve chips I got were ok, a bit raw but ok..Didnt want to risk a pudding so we left.
All in all we wont be going back...

Reviewed January 16, 2020

Been going here for years, latterly with my elderly mother followng my father passing away just under 2 years ago. My review of the 18th October 2019 expressed my appreciation that it is one of the few restaurants where I have never had a problem, or a need to complain. I must have been tempting fate! We had a bad experience late last year where my wife's Kebabs were undercooked and my mother's Prawn Cocktail was inedible. both of these were deleted from the bill. Being a bit shocked, we have stayed away a bit and gone elsewhere. Went there today with my mum To have our usual dishes (Lunch fish Goujons with triple fried chips. Mum got a small fish and chips and I got a full meal fish and chips. I had also asked no mushy peas or tatare sauce, but I got them anyway. Took it back to get changed for the Goujons and spoke to the manager. He said it was a miscommunication, even though I was very clear with my original order. My Goujons turned up (well after my mother had finished her meal) and was fine, apart from them still giving me mushy peas. I asked, and now know that the management changes early October last year. This explains the drop in food and service standards. I also note some other negative reviews since the management change. Unfortunately the manager was not particularly receptive to my concerns, so I am sorry, you have lost a regular customer. I might try again in a few months to see if standards and attitude have changed.

Reviewed January 7, 2020

My husband and our friends attended the New Year’s Eve celebrations.

Excellent service by Jane. The food was preordered and paid for in advance, which is understandable but worrying, just in case it’s awful! But it was Excellent!

We could not manage the cheeseboard, so Jane arranged for it to be packed up so we could take it home.

Many thanks to all those involved on the night, would definitely recommend.

Date of visit: December 2019
GeneralManagerAA, Owner at The Three Legged Cross, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2020

Hi Karen! Thank you for the 5* eview! We're so glad that you enjoyed your New Year's Eve with us! We had a great time too and we are looking forward to seeing you too!

Reviewed January 2, 2020

The menu here looks really promising and I've had several recommendations to visit. It's a shame my visit was quite poor.

We tried to order our food only to be told that there were no burgers left. That was of course disappointing but we set about choosing something else.

We tried to order a further 3 times, each time choosing something else and each time being told that they were also out of stock of those items. Why he couldn't tell us all at once no one really knows.

I really feel that when giving out menus staff should tell you if some things are out of stock. An easy thing to do and really makes the experience much better. Or if you have a massive list, just reprint the menu surely? ... the menu appears to be printed each week, probably in house anyway so surely an easy 2 minute job.

We chose to leave and go somewhere else rather than play this stupid little game anymore.

Date of visit: January 2020

thank you for your review. unfortunately following a very busy New Year's Eve and New Year's Day and a delayed delivery, we had run out of a few items on the menu. We hope you do visit us again soon when we do have a full menu again.