“good honest food and real home cooked chips”
Review of The Black Bear

The Black Bear
Ranked #40 of 62 Restaurants in Wareham
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Went with friends for a meal sat in the bay window. Ordered the food fish and chips 2 for £10. Excellent fish and we were told the chips were home made, must have been some of the best chips I have ever had in a pub or restaurant. Excellent meal... Ordered a couple of beers tasted below average returned to the bar and swopped no problem, end of barrel. Went 3 more times same good quality fish and chips again, then Sausage Egg and Chips finished on the last night with the Lasagne. All excellent meals.

There are newer reviews for The Black Bear

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Quite cramped dining area. Our order was taken quickly but considering the restaurant was not busy and everyone else was already eating, our food took a long time to arrive. We were just on the point of giving up when it arrived. The food was good and reasonably priced, but because the dining area was small and a lot of tables crammed in, it was difficult to talk. There was no quiet background music either so it was possible to hear all other conversations word for word without even having to listen in! It was ok for a quick dinner but I wouldn't go here for a celebration.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stopped here for a lunch with family, I wasn’t expecting fine dining, however the menu looked ok and it seemed good value.
The seafood menu appeared to have a good selection, so I ordered an inviting cod dish. Unfortunately when my meal arrived the fish smelt a little rank, after tasting the fish to be sure, it was clear the fish had started to rot, and was well past it’s best, so I left the rest of the cod and just ate the accompanying cabbage and salmon hash.
The waitress didn’t reappear until we had all finished our main courses; at this point she asked if everything was ok with the meal. I informed her of the problem, and she did apologise and offered me another meal, I declined another meal, as I didn’t want to sit and eat whilst the rest of the group watched and waited.
We were rather disappointed that when the bill arrived after puddings, that the offending fish dish was still on the list. Unfortunately I didn’t deal with the bill myself, but when my Mother-in-law went to pay and asked for the meal to be taken off list, the chef came to speak with her. He wouldn’t accept a problem and went on to explain, that all his fish were fresh and there couldn’t have been a problem, so he refused to remove the meal from the bill.
Personally I would, have just refused to pay and left as the fish was clearely off and not fit to be served. (I feel very insulted by the chef's bad judgment as a regular fish eater!)
The chef probably received the fish in its bad state from his supplier and he wasn’t wholly to blame, however rather than taking the arrogant attitude he did. What I would have expected is; he would have apologised and amended the bill suitably. It’s a shame, as his skill in cooking the rest of our groups meals seemed up to a good standard.

1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed August 23, 2013

If you want value pub grub this is the place to eat in Wareham. Food is reasonably priced and is reflected by what is served. We had no complaints. The service was very good and the waitress was friendly.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Whilst staying in Wareham we ate there twice on both occasions the staff were really friendly and the food was good. Both times there were 12 or 13 of us and meals arrived together. Portions were large and filling and the best value for money in Wareham.